First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
For a rear mounted winch I plan on maybe installing an under the bed option, but haven't decided yet. In the meantime I carry boards, shovels, a 12T front winch, 60inch high-lift, 50' and 100' synthetic extension ropes, and a Wyatt-Scott Synthetic line puller.

I have used the high-lift as a winch, and it does work, but is TONNE of work, and potentially very dangerous. They can be used safely, but require experience, and focus. If things do go bad, they can go really bad, really fast.

I did have a traditional steel cable come-along in previous builds, but again, PITA, take up allot of room, and steel cable. Steel cable is/was great for all most winch duties, and perfectly safe when done properly, but synthetic is infinitely repairable in field, which is a game changer IMO.

I updated to a Wyatt Ratchet puller with Dyneema, good for 6,000 pounds single line. It also comes with a snatch block for double load.

Do not click this link if high prices shock you :)

https://www.baileysonline.com/wyeth-scott-ratchet-puller-3-ton-with-35-amsteel-rope.html

3R9kpoX.jpg
Sponsored

TerraMechE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I just put my rear winch on this past weekend.

1643123873944.png

Mind the voltage drop running cable that long... I also like circuit breakers or fuses or at least a disconnect switch on stuff like this.

tugger50

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT RANGER SUPERCREW, 2002 F-350 7.3 POWERSTROKE DIESEL
Just crossed my mind (and it's not a digested idea, but worth the question I guess) ... isn't there a portable winch that you can attach to a recovery point with a strap or chain? It does not have to be a solid mount, the only issue I see is the massive winch floating in the air when the line gets tight - not that it would snap, but actually on a recovery when the direction is not perpendicular on the front bumper (it rarely is) the winch could hit the car, end up in mud ... stuff like that.
THERE ARE GAS POWERED WINCHES THAT USE CHAINSAW ENGINES THAT WE USE IN THE WOODS THAT YOU HOOK TO A STRAP. DON'T REMEMBER THE PULLING POWER BUT IT'S PRETTY DECENT. THEY ARE LOUD AS THEY USE A 2 CYCLE ENGINE AND HIGH RPM'S

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician

1643123873944.png

Mind the voltage drop running cable that long... I also like circuit breakers or fuses or at least a disconnect switch on stuff like this.
Not going to lie, this is quite interesting. But where are you mounting the license plate?

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired

1643123873944.png

Good for you!!! I am super jelly. Details? Mounting bracket? Underside or install pics?

TerraMechE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Good for you!!! I am super jelly. Details? Mounting bracket? Underside or install pics?
Maybe eventually if I'm satisfied that it works without issue. I'd hate for someone to get injured or damage their truck copying something I did incorrectly. Murphy can be a jerk.

I got the idea from these raptor winch mounts so if follows a similar idea, but in a different mounting plane.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon

TerraMechE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Interesting idea. Does the plate interfere with the tailgate?
I know plate frames do by default.
It does not.

I did have a moment of panic after I got everything together and immediately checked that exact clearance.... as if I hadn't checked that several times before, during and after installation.

LP light might have to be a bottom mount though. Good point.

Edit: nah, there's room for a light

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather

1643123873944.png

that looks good, nice clean install. also out of the way and out of sight.

TerraMechE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Since I found it kinda lame to not give more details... this is mostly how I did it:

Warn VR Evo 10 (AutoZone online had the lowest price, oddly)

Custom ordered 19ft, 18ft, and 1ft Powerwerx 4/0 AWG cables with lugs (4/0 about matched the voltage drop at max rated winch load of the Warn supplied 2 AWG cables at 6ft). These could be a foot or so shorter, maybe.

PXL_20220111_172105535.jpg

Mechanical Products 200A circuit breaker. The winch can pull more than 200A (358A max rated, more in-rush, likely), but the breaker will support current over 200A for a time. The more current, the quicker it trips. Manufacturer time to trip vs load charts are available. I don't know if this is the "right" breaker rating, actually.

11"x47" A514 mounting plate, 3/8" thick. I wanted to use cheaper/lighter material with more strength/stiffness through shape, like a c-channel, weldment or brake press parts but this was easy. I am slightly concerned about deflection if this thing ever manages a true 10k pull on the first wrap layer, but stress levels seem ok per some math and FEA. Thing has got some gravity to it...

PXL_20220122_234623800.jpg

I sammiched it in between the hitch/bumper and the frame.

PXL_20220123_220349674.jpg

Of course, there's other details I didn't take pictures of like the cable sheathing and fairlead mount. The cable mostly follows the factory harness along the left frame rail. Some aspects of the rear wire harness had to be relocated, too.

I'd like to come up with a better (remote) access point to the freespool clutch lever. I have to reach under the truck to get to it. Luckily, clocking the geared side of the winch is easy. The VR EVO does come with a wireless controller, which is nice. A Warn Zeon has wireless freespool actuation, but I blew all my money on welding cable and online metal retailer plate steel...

I looked up Ford Performance Bronco winch install instructions to see where they attached the power cables to the battery.

In case anyone wonders, I chose a rear winch placement because:
  • Mass distribution?
  • Intercooler blockage (might not matter much, but Ford BBAS publications seems to think so)
  • I plan to retreat when faced with adversity
  • THIS truck is not for hardcore wheeling, for me
  • Also me: I WANT TO CUT MY FENDERS AND SWAP IN A BRONCO FDU WITH FRONT LOCKER AND 4.70 GEARS AND PUT ON 37'S AND A REAR 3-LINK WITH A PANHARD BAR AND A WARN 9.0RC. Then I take my daughter to school drop off in this glorified minivan...
All that said, there were times I'd rather have installed it in the front. However, it is done now and I plan to drag the truck around with it this weekend to see how it works.

Fun little project.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Since I found it kinda lame to not give more details... this is mostly how I did it:

Warn VR Evo 10 (AutoZone online had the lowest price, oddly)

Custom ordered 19ft, 18ft, and 1ft Powerwerx 4/0 AWG cables with lugs (4/0 about matched the voltage drop at max rated winch load of the Warn supplied 2 AWG cables at 6ft). These could be a foot or so shorter, maybe.

PXL_20220111_172105535.jpg

Mechanical Products 200A circuit breaker. The winch can pull more than 200A (358A max rated, more in-rush, likely), but the breaker will support current over 200A for a time. The more current, the quicker it trips. Manufacturer time to trip vs load charts are available. I don't know if this is the "right" breaker rating, actually.

11"x47" A514 mounting plate, 3/8" thick. I wanted to use cheaper/lighter material with more strength/stiffness through shape, like a c-channel, weldment or brake press parts but this was easy. I am slightly concerned about deflection if this thing ever manages a true 10k pull on the first wrap layer, but stress levels seem ok per some math and FEA. Thing has got some gravity to it...

PXL_20220122_234623800.jpg

I sammiched it in between the hitch/bumper and the frame.

PXL_20220123_220349674.jpg

Of course, there's other details I didn't take pictures of like the cable sheathing and fairlead mount. The cable mostly follows the factory harness along the left frame rail. Some aspects of the rear wire harness had to be relocated, too.

I'd like to come up with a better (remote) access point to the freespool clutch lever. I have to reach under the truck to get to it. Luckily, clocking the geared side of the winch is easy. The VR EVO does come with a wireless controller, which is nice. A Warn Zeon has wireless freespool actuation, but I blew all my money on welding cable and online metal retailer plate steel...

I looked up Ford Performance Bronco winch install instructions to see where they attached the power cables to the battery.

In case anyone wonders, I chose a rear winch placement because:
  • Mass distribution?
  • Intercooler blockage (might not matter much, but Ford BBAS publications seems to think so)
  • I plan to retreat when faced with adversity
  • THIS truck is not for hardcore wheeling, for me
  • Also me: I WANT TO CUT MY FENDERS AND SWAP IN A BRONCO FDU WITH FRONT LOCKER AND 4.70 GEARS AND PUT ON 37'S AND A REAR 3-LINK WITH A PANHARD BAR AND A WARN 9.0RC. Then I take my daughter to school drop off in this glorified minivan...
All that said, there were times I'd rather have installed it in the front. However, it is done now and I plan to drag the truck around with it this weekend to see how it works.

Fun little project.
Are you able.to mount the spare tire underneath or is that now a.problem?

TerraMechE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Are you able.to mount the spare tire underneath or is that now a.problem?
No, that's not an option with this setup. The spare is going in the bed for now, but the 285/75r17 barely cleared the brake lines, anyhow.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No, that's not an option with this setup. The spare is going in the bed for now, but the 285/75r17 barely cleared the brake lines, anyhow.
Did you mean to say 75 or 70? Also that makes a perfect opportunity to have a fair size water tank or extra fuel tank for extra range!!
Sponsored