OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
I get the general idea that winching backwards is usually the opposite direction you intended to go. However a mechanical recovery system of some sort is better than nothing at all. I've also heard people have run the line under the truck towards the front as needed.

Are most people running a hitch mount in the rear (with a battery in the bed)?
Sponsored

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
I have my winch mounted in my front bumper however most folks that have a rear facing winch that I know use a receiver type mount front and rear so as to be able to easily swap locations. As far as powering they mostly run those quick connectors much like what an electric fork lift uses to connect the battery and have a plug in both locations running from the battery under hood.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I dont onow if any ranger owners here have a rear mounted winch but if you go Offroad by yourself then you could benifit from this. If you are normally with others that have winches then you should be fine withour a rear mounted winch.

Here is a noce little video about winches that will help you out most likely.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
It's strange, in my mind I've always thought a rear facing winch would be the way to go, because going back out of the bad stuff would be better than being pulled further into it. I guess it depends how deep into it you are and what you're trying to do. But at least you know what it's like where you came from, not where you're going. More a comment on winch location in general than Ranger specific.

I have considered getting a winch that can be installed and removed from the receiver. Since most of the stuff I do, if I get stuck, then I'm not going to continue going onward once I get out, so might as well just go back. haha

Though really the best option I've considered is to go with someone who has a winch. That's the cheapest and easiest way. haha
Tough call and there's always going to be a time when one option is better than the other. Like if you only have trees in front of or behind you. I have a front mounted winch and there could surely be times when it wouldn't help me get out because I need to be recovered backwards or have no trees in front of me. In the group I go out with I'm the only one with a winch so I always lead and they're behind if I need a rear recovery.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
I have a hitch mounted winch setup

Got the hitch plate from Amazon

Winch from harbor Freight, shortened all the wires it came with, came with a wired remote long enough to reach the cab. I didn't want a huge heavy bulky one so I went with a compact setup with a snatch block if needed

Cables from Amazon (quick disconnect on the winch side with alligator clips on the battery side, 25ft so I can run to my battery. Also didn't want to hardwire anything, and with this setup its easy to use with any truck, say a friend who is stuck on the trail)

Circuit breaker and misc. electrical fittings from Amazon

Used a piece of angle iron and self tapping screws to mount all the electrical components

InkedIMG_20200808_075709_LI.jpg

onthejob

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat, 501A, Spt Appearance, Tow, Fox Shocks

Winch from harbor Freight, shortened all the wires it came with, came with a wired remote long enough to reach the cab. I didn't want a huge heavy bulky one so I went with a compact setup with a snatch block if needed

Cables from Amazon (quick disconnect on the winch side with alligator clips on the battery side, 25ft so I can run to my battery. Also didn't want to hardwire anything, and with this setup its easy to use with any truck, say a friend who is stuck on the trail)

Used a piece of angle iron and self tapping screws to mount all the electrical components

I hope someone comes up with a front mounted 2" receiver for the Ranger because this is how I would want to do it - both front and back. A permanently mounted front bumper winch gets either encased in a block of ice or killed by the salt in my area. I'd like something I could break out when needed and have the option to mount it in the front or rear.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I hope someone comes up with a front mounted 2" receiver for the Ranger because this is how I would want to do it - both front and back. A permanently mounted front bumper winch gets either encased in a block of ice or killed by the salt in my area. I'd like something I could break out when needed and have the option to mount it in the front or rear.
Yup same here

Except I'm in CA so I don't have your ice/salt problem. Would just be nice as you said to be able to move it front or back and remove when not in use. I've already added enough weight to my truck, no need for a huge heavy front bumper with winch

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
Yup same here

Except I'm in CA so I don't have your ice/salt problem. Would just be nice as you said to be able to move it front or back and remove when not in use. I've already added enough weight to my truck, no need for a huge heavy front bumper with winch
Just crossed my mind (and it's not a digested idea, but worth the question I guess) ... isn't there a portable winch that you can attach to a recovery point with a strap or chain? It does not have to be a solid mount, the only issue I see is the massive winch floating in the air when the line gets tight - not that it would snap, but actually on a recovery when the direction is not perpendicular on the front bumper (it rarely is) the winch could hit the car, end up in mud ... stuff like that.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

I like that setup, but I have a question - isn't that kind of a small winch for your truck? 3500lbs? Have you used it to pull your truck out of anything? I always thought those 3500 lb winches were more for ATVs, side by sides, etc, not trucks.

I'm really considering a winch, and I really like the idea of the front and rear mounted receiver option - as others have said, it gives you two things:
  • The ability to put the hitch on the front or the rear as needed (instead of using a snatch block, etc)
  • Don't have to permanently mount the hitch so you can keep it out of the weather - hopefully extending the life of the winch
Still waiting to hear how this option has worked - it is billed as a plow mount:

https://shop.agricover.com/product/plowmounts

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
I like that setup, but I have a question - isn't that kind of a small winch for your truck? 3500lbs? Have you used it to pull your truck out of anything? I always thought those 3500 lb winches were more for ATVs, side by sides, etc, not trucks.

I'm really considering a winch, and I really like the idea of the front and rear mounted receiver option - as others have said, it gives you two things:
  • The ability to put the hitch on the front or the rear as needed (instead of using a snatch block, etc)
  • Don't have to permanently mount the hitch so you can keep it out of the weather - hopefully extending the life of the winch
Still waiting to hear how this option has worked - it is billed as a plow mount:

He mentioned a snatch block, those effectively double the capacity of a winch when used.

Still, a 5k lb would of been better, 8k preferable.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I have not tested it on the trail yet. It pulled a Tundra up an inclined driveway when I was testing it at home. It is marketed as an ATV winch, but with the snatch block the capacity increases (decrease in line length and speed though)

I was going for size and weight. Compared to the next size up it is significantly smaller and lighter. For how often I will probably use it, this size fits. Thinking I would use it just to pull myself out of somewhere, not to pull the truck through or up anything. Kind of as a last resort if the other things I carry fail - traction mats, wood boards, chains

I like the idea of being able to remove it, keep it out of the weather, and not look like I am constantly on an expedition 24/7 when I am driving around town. Will continue to keep an eye out for a good front hitch setup for the winch or bike rack when camping

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I could use one ... pull my head out of the dark place it seems to hang out in.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have not tested it on the trail yet. It pulled a Tundra up an inclined driveway when I was testing it at home. It is marketed as an ATV winch, but with the snatch block the capacity increases (decrease in line length and speed though)

I was going for size and weight. Compared to the next size up it is significantly smaller and lighter. For how often I will probably use it, this size fits. Thinking I would use it just to pull myself out of somewhere, not to pull the truck through or up anything. Kind of as a last resort if the other things I carry fail - traction mats, wood boards, chains

I like the idea of being able to remove it, keep it out of the weather, and not look like I am constantly on an expedition 24/7 when I am driving around town. Will continue to keep an eye out for a good front hitch setup for the winch or bike rack when camping
I'm still struggling with the correct direction for me. Like you, I'm not going to be using it to do any hard core stuff, but I've gotten stuck twice in the last two weeks (I really don't like the stock tires). Once in mud, once in snow. The mud I was able to get towed out of, the snow I was working with my comealong (which would have been a LOT of work) and a nice guy in a Jeep with a winch came along and drug me back to where I could keep going in about 5 mins. I was fine until I tried to turn around and then got stuck.

Anyway, I was originally thinking of this winch - a 12,000 lb beast:

https://www.harborfreight.com/apex-synthetic-12000-lb-wireless-winch-56385.html

But after your experience, and with the addition of the snatch block, I'm thinking maybe this would be more appropriate (not to mention a lot cheaper, smaller and lighter):

https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-utvpowersport-12v-winch-56326.html

I wouldn't expect to use it much, but if needed, it can make life SO much better. I think I'm getting too old to use a comealong to pull my truck out....

The other thing I think about is that in both of these cases, a good set of traction boards would have probably gotten me out of trouble as well. So, in the interest of being prepared, I'm thinking I will get a winch and some traction boards.

So much to consider.....

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm still struggling with the correct direction for me. Like you, I'm not going to be using it to do any hard core stuff, but I've gotten stuck twice in the last two weeks (I really don't like the stock tires). Once in mud, once in snow. The mud I was able to get towed out of, the snow I was working with my comealong (which would have been a LOT of work) and a nice guy in a Jeep with a winch came along and drug me back to where I could keep going in about 5 mins. I was fine until I tried to turn around and then got stuck.

Anyway, I was originally thinking of this winch - a 12,000 lb beast:

https://www.harborfreight.com/apex-synthetic-12000-lb-wireless-winch-56385.html

But after your experience, and with the addition of the snatch block, I'm thinking maybe this would be more appropriate (not to mention a lot cheaper, smaller and lighter):

https://www.harborfreight.com/5000-lb-utvpowersport-12v-winch-56326.html

I wouldn't expect to use it much, but if needed, it can make life SO much better. I think I'm getting too old to use a comealong to pull my truck out....

The other thing I think about is that in both of these cases, a good set of traction boards would have probably gotten me out of trouble as well. So, in the interest of being prepared, I'm thinking I will get a winch and some traction boards.

So much to consider.....
Rob, I was watching videos today on the HF 12,000 lb wireless Apex winch. There's really good reviews on it and yopou just can't beat it for the price. A few said they got theirs with the 20% off coupon which HF has on every item once in a while so now it's down to $480.00. I always try to buy American product but just can't see spending 3-4 times the amount when there are so many good reviews on this one. The link below has all the videos and I've only watched the first three. One video shows a complete tear down and another is an ex Warn employee and both are very impressed with this winch.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Apex+Badland+12,000+lb+Winch+
Sponsored