How is the OEM fuel tank skid plate mounted?

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Personally I think I'd be getting the proper straps if I were going to add the plastic skid plate. Between the bolt heads bulging into the tank, securing the bolt without weakening the strap, and other fitment problems, I think the cost of the strap is probably worth it.

Good luck either way.
Interestingly enough, it has the straps. These ones? So would I just get m8 locknuts and pop them through those holes on the strap and the skid plate holes?
0647083B-2324-4171-8B40-B679BA9E9DC5.jpeg
Sponsored

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Never mind. I see. You need straps with bolts sticking out of it. Thank you for making me aware @JACKSMYDOG

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Interestingly enough, it has the straps. These ones? So would I just get m8 locknuts and pop them through those holes on the strap and the skid plate holes?
0647083B-2324-4171-8B40-B679BA9E9DC5.jpeg
By proper, I meant the fuel tank strap with the skid plate mounting bolts.

I haven't looked at how the bolts are attached on mine, but guessing they are not typical bolts. Either flat top carriage bolt or stud welded to the strap.

Is there a gap between your strap and tank for the bolt head? Will it push through the tank when you tighten the strap, or if you hit a rock and drive the bolt upward?

If not, I'd look at options to mount it to the base bracket the strap is attached too. The skid plate is plastic, so not much point in bolts or heavy metal attachment. 2 heavy duty zip ties at each mounting bracket would essentially be as effective as the 4 bolts from the factory.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Never mind. I see. You need straps with bolts sticking out of it. Thank you for making me aware @JACKSMYDOG
I am all for modifying and making things work, but sometimes the factory replacement part is cheaper and easier than the time money to re-work it.

Cheers.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
By proper, I meant the fuel tank strap with the skid plate mounting bolts.

I haven't looked at how the bolts are attached on mine, but guessing they are not typical bolts. Either flat top carriage bolt or stud welded to the strap.

Is there a gap between your strap and tank for the bolt head? Will it push through the tank when you tighten the strap, or if you hit a rock and drive the bolt upward?

If not, I'd look at options to mount it to the base bracket the strap is attached too. The skid plate is plastic, so not much point in bolts or heavy metal attachment. 2 heavy duty zip ties at each mounting bracket would essentially be as effective as the 4 bolts from the factory.
Thank you so much for the insight/knowledge. I am going to figure out if I can do it properly with the right strap. If not, your idea of the heavy duty zip ties I might actually just do... I am a fan of cheap solutions like that.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thank you so much for the insight/knowledge. I am going to figure out if I can do it properly with the right strap. If not, your idea of the heavy duty zip ties I might actually just do... I am a fan of cheap solutions like that.
You may even be able to run a big zip-tie right over the strap in place, and around the whole tank. Be careful not to get any wires or lines under it though and don't over tighten them.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
You may even be able to run a big zip-tie right over the strap in place, and around the whole tank. Be careful not to get any wires or lines under it though and don't over tighten them.
Thank you again, appreciate all the help I can get Jay :bow:
Sponsored