Talk about getting a lot out of a mid-sized bed.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Looks to me like the levelers are the only thing holding that rear end up.

KnightRanger

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger, 2016 Harley FLSS,
Vehicle Showcase
I would think, that they would need to add heavier leafs as well as air bags to accomodate all that weight?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Seems legit.
Post specs.... So many aftermarket campers back in the day we created the Camper F Series and we did camper handling as many of the campers packaged into the pickup box but were way over weight. We flipped a few campers over on the the test vehicle's side. Unfortunately it is a buyer beware market. Look at the Mfg specs and at the Ranger owner manual. If it does not compute and you have one of these installled....weigh it at a truck stop scale to see where you are. Things like this scare me big time... May be as light as a feather, but if so...likely big time pricey.

Okay...another back story. In 1974, Truck Operations was renamed Truck and Recreation Products Operation, TRPO. We sold a truck engineering camper and offered other accessories. The truck camper was a step into Ford experiencing the aftermarket with a nice camper slide in that was out of date from the get go. The aftermarket industry moves so fast to add features etc and there is no real testing so the Ford Camper was expensive, Robust and dates. Sales were poor. Thus TRPO died within a year or so. If the aftermarket ever tested as the OME has to test...costs and timing would be way longer. I did find a TRPO sticker in my archives to remind of me of this. Also the start of the Arab Oil Embargo recession where I was one of the new hires that got saved while many were laid off, never to return.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Last edited:

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Search on Tischer to find the website. Appears to be out of Germany with a US distributor. You have to open the pdf link for the prices and equipment to get the weight of 648 kg which = 1428.6 lbs. I haven't weighed my truck, but to use mine as an example the Ford sticker shows a max payload of 1744 lb so a Supercab could just do it. The ROW Rangers may have a higher GVWR.

HTX1811

First Name
HC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger STX 4x4,16 Audi A7
Occupation
Retired
Search on Tischer to find the website. Appears to be out of Germany with a US distributor. You have to open the pdf link for the prices and equipment to get the weight of 648 kg which = 1428.6 lbs. I haven't weighed my truck, but to use mine as an example the Ford sticker shows a max payload of 1744 lb so a Supercab could just do it. The ROW Rangers may have a higher GVWR.
So a little over 300 pounds for gear and people. I eat up 235 pounds with just me no dog or wife. So, maybe a tad over loaded with gear and such. Unless passenger compartment does not figure into a max payload number. I would think it would.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
So a little over 300 pounds for gear and people. I eat up 235 pounds with just me no dog or wife. So, maybe a tad over loaded with gear and such. Unless passenger compartment does not figure into a max payload number. I would think it would.
Image 732.png

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
that truck does not have a camper. that camper has a truck... ive seen some smaller lighter version from brands like palomino and lance. I like them but would not want to mess with it being on the truck and all the added drag, width etc.

Hickesy

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2021 STX SuperCab 4x4
I like the fancy front seats to be fair...

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Most camper makers outright lie about the weight of their products. "Dry weight" may be anything from just the bare shell with no fixtures. Also note that payload must include fuel, passengers, literally any and all weight. And then each axle has its own load rating within that.

The further under max specs you can get, the happier you'll be. I recently talked a friend out of his F-150 and into a Super Duty. The 150 was technically at payload with his Four Wheel Camper onboard, but he couldn't bring anything else with him. And the truck just handled...suboptimally. Especially off-road. Now the Super Duty is a thousand plus pounds under payload, with everything he can think to carry plus passengers. And you can't even feel the camper back there.

The Tl;dr here is choose an appropriate tool for the job. Mid-size trucks shouldn't carry anything but a GFC or similar.
Sponsored