bbenea

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So is there anyway to prevent Sync from being hi-jacked by someone plugging into the second USB port? I will have my iPhone plugged into port 1, cruising along fat, dumb and happy, and then my wife will decide she needs some electrons and plugs into the second port. Her phone will then take over everything and ignore mine. My phone is the primary phone in this truck. The only solution I have found so far is to have her plug into the rear USB port...
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
So is there anyway to prevent Sync from being hi-jacked by someone plugging into the second USB port? I will have my iPhone plugged into port 1, cruising along fat, dumb and happy, and then my wife will decide she needs some electrons and plugs into the second port. Her phone will then take over everything and ignore mine. My phone is the primary phone in this truck. The only solution I have found so far is to have her plug into the rear USB port...
Hi Brandon,

The front ports are intelligent and know who is the real boss of the family... ?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Is there a big issue with just using the rear ports? That's what my wife does, too.

Deleted member 1634

Is there a big issue with just using the rear ports? That's what my wife does, too.
That's what I do as well. Just plug into one of the rear ports and run the cable up the side of the driver's seat to the phone cubby. Plugging into the "intelligent" ports up front makes my phone want to start/download Android Auto, which makes my phone overheat and crash. Not fun when you're cruising through the city, listening to a new podcast episode, and waiting for directions to a place you've never been. But my phone is pretty stupid, so there's that.

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
go old school, use a 12v charger from the cigarette plug for your wifes phone
That's what we do as well - but not for the same reason. I have a dual port plugged into the passenger side, and it's easier access than the data port or the rear USB ports. It's also one of the short ones, so it doesn't stick out like some of them.

OP
OP
bbenea

bbenea

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No not a big issue just inconvenient. I was hoping maybe there was a setting somewhere in Sync I wasn't aware of to disable the 2nd port from connecting.

Deleted member 1634

I still think it's weird that the second phone will over-write the first. My wife and I have had both of our phones plugged into the front ports at the same time without issue. Mine will be plugged in, playing music and text notifications and all that. And when my wife plugs in all it does is scroll a notification across the top bar that says *name of phone* is connected. Nothing else happens. Mine continues to play music and get notifications. Her notifications don't come through. There is the page in the phone connection menu saying what type of connection for each phone: "media only", "media and phone", or "disconnect". But again, that only changes when I go into that menu and manually change things, doesn't do it automatically.

I wonder if it has something to do with her phone being more "aggressive" programming wise or something. That the phone forces the take-over as opposed to the truck allowing the take-over.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
I still think it's weird that the second phone will over-write the first. My wife and I have had both of our phones plugged into the front ports at the same time without issue. Mine will be plugged in, playing music and text notifications and all that. And when my wife plugs in all it does is scroll a notification across the top bar that says *name of phone* is connected. Nothing else happens. Mine continues to play music and get notifications. Her notifications don't come through. There is the page in the phone connection menu saying what type of connection for each phone: "media only", "media and phone", or "disconnect". But again, that only changes when I go into that menu and manually change things, doesn't do it automatically.

I wonder if it has something to do with her phone being more "aggressive" programming wise or something. That the phone forces the take-over as opposed to the truck allowing the take-over.
When you plug in the phone, the drop down is a notification that a new USB media source was connected. So, it'll show the device name, but it's not connecting it via Bluetooth at that point.

Deleted member 1634

When you plug in the phone, the drop down is a notification that a new USB media source was connected. So, it'll show the device name, but it's not connecting it via Bluetooth at that point.
Exactly. I know that. That's what makes OPs scenario so weird.

OP
OP
bbenea

bbenea

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ahh, OK. Yeah OP issue is quite strange. Plugging in the second device shouldn't take over anything, unless maybe somehow that phone is dropping out.
That's the problem. She plugs in and it basically kicks my phone out. No warning or dropdown or anything.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20' Escape Hybrid,18' Fusion Hybrid
That's the problem. She plugs in and it basically kicks my phone out. No warning or dropdown or anything.
USB only, Bluetooth only, or all? Does it stop charging? I assume you're on v3.3?

OP
OP
bbenea

bbenea

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
USB only, Bluetooth only, or all? Does it stop charging? I assume you're on v3.3?
This only happens when we are plugged into USB. Well that's not entirely true if I am bluetoothed in and she plugs in it will still let her take over. Still charges when this happens. I just updated not but a month or so ago so I think it is 3.3.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Doesn't it ask each time you plug in to allow access to data on the phone? Mine does, but I'm wondering if you say no to the second phone if it will still hi-jack....
Sponsored