SVC Leveling Collar

• Thread starter Deleted member 773
  • Start date
  • Watchers 11

Deleted member 773

Ordered the kit on Monday, arrived yesterday, installed after work today. Not much to it, the SVC instructions are straightforward.

If you think the stock front end is sloppy and soft, this improves things a lot. When you brake, the truck doesn’t dive as aggressively as before.

I’ll take a better picture in the morning.

7F08BDE8-A779-45B1-9068-4C30C42C69C5.jpeg

25399702-3801-4917-966D-DAF916C9B368.jpeg

166F79D0-3A0D-406F-AAF9-76437E1EA42D.jpeg
Sponsored

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I was worried that it would affect ride quality by preloading the spring. Are the factory springs linear? I guess if they are then it shouldn't make much of a difference.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I was worried that it would affect ride quality by preloading the spring. Are the factory springs linear? I guess if they are then it shouldn't make much of a difference.
Hi Adam,

I looked at the springs as installed and it appears the springs are asymmetrically coiled and are nonlinear.

best.,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

MTB-BRUH

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Base
Occupation
Shop Manager
Loving it. Let's see them with 33's . can't wait to order mine.
I’m shooting for not losing too much fuel mileage so I’m trying to stay around 31” tires. Next step though is some nice BFG K02’s

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Hi Adam,

I looked at the springs as installed and it appears the springs are asymmetrically coiled and are nonlinear.

best.,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks! I'll wait and hear other's reviews and comments on ride quality as more are installed before I make my decision

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

Hi Adam,

best.,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Hi Phil, source on this? I was curious too but after taking the springs off they seem to be linear. I always thought linear shocks are the best/cheapest all around option for all driving conditions and specially shocks for higher performance/racing applications are where you see progressive rate shocks that are tuning the vehicle for a specific condition. Thanks for the input

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil, source on this? I was curious too but after taking the springs off they seem to be linear. I always thought linear shocks are the best/cheapest all around option for all driving conditions and specially shocks for higher performance/racing applications are where you see progressive rate shocks that are tuning the vehicle for a specific condition. Thanks for the input
Hi BB,

I was looking at the installed spring and noted the asymmetric coil spacing, but free length spring tells the tail better. The old Aerostar had diabolic springs as they were asymmetric coil and tapered wire...Talk about non linear!!!! Shocks are non liner as they are first derivative device, which is a velocity device. Faster they extend or compress the more force they create to react to conditions. So this is why shock valving is quite complex. The more complex the valving, the better control and thus more costly.

Hope this makes sense.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

@P. A. Schilke Not sure where you are seeing asymmetrical coil spacing.. Uncompressed is the same story. I am well versed in shock valving and flow, just was curious why you think the coils are nonlinear as that would dramatically change how the suspension acts vs a linear spring. I was hoping you would have physical specs on the stock suspension.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
@P. A. Schilke Not sure where you are seeing asymmetrical coil spacing.. Uncompressed is the same story. I am well versed in shock valving and flow, just was curious why you think the coils are nonlinear as that would dramatically change how the suspension acts vs a linear spring. I was hoping you would have physical specs on the stock suspension.
Just visual on my truck... top coils are much closer together than the bottom coils I would expect all coils to be equally spaced when loaded if the spring was linear, eh? That is why I indicated the need to have a spring of free length to actually determine. I have no access to engineering drawing of these springs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Deleted member 773

Just visual on my truck... top coils are much closer together than the bottom coils I would expect all coils to be equally spaced when loaded if the spring was linear, eh? That is why I indicated the need to have a spring of free length to actually determine. I have no access to engineering drawing of these springs.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
@P. A. Schilke Weird! I agree with what your saying about what a linear vs progressive should look like, mine just look different. You have an fx4, Maybe different springs on lariat?