Newbie leveling questions

klem91

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Hey everyone, I'm new to trucks and mods in general, and after reading a lot on this forum I'm thinking of installing the FP fox level kit on my 2021 ranger.

I use my truck primarily for getting around and some very mild off roading, mostly getting to shooting spots in the desert and some scenic unpaved driving around AZ, probably some camping and whatnot every now and then. A large part of why I want the level is for looks, but its also appealing to upgrade the ride on road and have more off road capability if I got more into it.

Based on that, does this kit sound like the right way to go? The added warrantee protection is also appealing.

Additionally, my dealer quoted me at $720 for the install - anyone had this done recently? Does that seem high to you?
Sponsored

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Hey everyone, I'm new to trucks and mods in general, and after reading a lot on this forum I'm thinking of installing the FP fox level kit on my 2021 ranger.

I use my truck primarily for getting around and some very mild off roading, mostly getting to shooting spots in the desert and some scenic unpaved driving around AZ, probably some camping and whatnot every now and then. A large part of why I want the level is for looks, but its also appealing to upgrade the ride on road and have more off road capability if I got more into it.

Based on that, does this kit sound like the right way to go? The added warrantee protection is also appealing.

Additionally, my dealer quoted me at $720 for the install - anyone had this done recently? Does that seem high to you?
I have that installed on my truck and love it. 2019 XLT Sport.
Had the dealer install also, and I bought the kit from my local dealer as well. I'm thinking just under $2k altogether.

OP
OP
klem91

klem91

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I have that installed on my truck and love it. 2019 XLT Sport.
Had the dealer install also, and I bought the kit from my local dealer as well. I'm thinking just under $2k altogether.
Awesome. When did you get that done? Seems like the install would have been around 500 give or take?

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I got it done in 2020 sometime. Springtime maybe. I don't rightly remember.
And yes, that doesn't sound out of the way for install price.

Rene Michaels

First Name
SOLD IT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Just remember, if you level your truck, you will go down the hole of bigger tires and maybe wheels at the same time. Just something to consider. The look you want more than likely is a leveled truck with 32inch+ tires. You now went from 2k after parts/install to potentially 3-4K. Make sure you read a lot on proper tire sizes with certain mods. Sometimes you will have to cut crash bars or do some other little mods or none at all if you don’t go tooo big. Personally, if you’re okay with parting with that money for the looks, so be it.

But with your uses and needs, I would recommend bilsteins 5100/6xxx(forgot the numbers but you can find easily) the bilsteins add height, level, on and off-road capabilities more than fit for your needs of off-roading as you mentioned at 1/4th of the cost. Then you get to save 1000$ from the level kit and buy a tune if you don’t have one :)
Have fun and enjoy, wherever your mind and wallet may lead you.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I got the Ranger Lifts 3" level when I first bought my truck and paid my trusted mechanic to install it ($300). Still the best mod I've done to date. Improved the ride quality and the looks. Here is my original post about this:

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/3”-level-lift-fits-2wd-4wd.2673/post-80453

Here's the Ranger Lifts item I purchased:
https://fordrangerlifts.com/shop/ols/products/2019-ford-ranger-lifts-3-level-lift-201-frd-rng-lft
Robby recently put out a 2" level for the Tremor that I recently ordered. Doing it mainly to offset the drop from adding my ADD Stealth Fighter Winch front bumper (When it arrives, ordered back in April.....) and winch.

He said he was sending me some goodies with it, and asked for my shirt size, so I am excited. He is expecting to ship it today.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
True that.
When my stock tires wear out, I will replace with one size bigger to do a little better job of filling out the wheel well.

OP
OP
klem91

klem91

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Just remember, if you level your truck, you will go down the hole of bigger tires and maybe wheels at the same time. Just something to consider. The look you want more than likely is a leveled truck with 32inch+ tires. You now went from 2k after parts/install to potentially 3-4K. Make sure you read a lot on proper tire sizes with certain mods. Sometimes you will have to cut crash bars or do some other little mods or none at all if you don’t go tooo big. Personally, if you’re okay with parting with that money for the looks, so be it.

But with your uses and needs, I would recommend bilsteins 5100/6xxx(forgot the numbers but you can find easily) the bilsteins add height, level, on and off-road capabilities more than fit for your needs of off-roading as you mentioned at 1/4th of the cost. Then you get to save 1000$ from the level kit and buy a tune if you don’t have one :)
Have fun and enjoy, wherever your mind and wallet may lead you.
You make an excellent point... Your talking about these? https://www.stage3motorsports.com/1...stein-5100-adjustable-leveling-shock-kit.html

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Yup those would be the ones, very very popular German brand for shocks. Here’s a whole thread regarding it for your information. I would of went with these but at my current time I do not want to level my truck as I like the raked look/keeping center of gravity lower and it gets too expensive down the rabbit hole of associated mods with the associated stance/look. Best of luck with whatever you decide and ask more questions if need be.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bilstein-5100-adjustable-leveling-shock-kit.8704/

OP
OP
klem91

klem91

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Yup those would be the ones, very very popular German brand for shocks. Here’s a whole thread regarding it for your information. I would of went with these but at my current time I do not want to level my truck as I like the raked look/keeping center of gravity lower and it gets too expensive down the rabbit hole of associated mods with the associated stance/look. Best of luck with whatever you decide and ask more questions if need be.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/bilstein-5100-adjustable-leveling-shock-kit.8704/
Thank you, much appreciated

azdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
System Administrator I
Check Robert Horne Ford in Apache Junction. Based on their website installation is $400 if you buy it from them. I would buy it from the website. When I started looking for my FPP leveling kit the first dealership I went to said they would charge me more than MSRP because they weren't a Ford Performance dealer anymore. But on their website I could've gotten for MSRP.

https://accessories.ford.com/fox-tu...-ifp-off-road-suspension-kit.html#2021/Ranger

PL8SWPR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT, '18 Mustang GT, '14 Ford Explorer
Paid the dealer around 500 for the install, but paid full list for the kit.

I love the upgrade. We had the truck about a week before the work was done and myself and my wife noticed the difference in ride quality immediately. Certainly not a cheap upgrade, but I'd do it again.

20210718_174320.jpg

20210718_174308.jpg
Sponsored