Suspension/shocks or tires first

CJ74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX
Hello all,

I wanted to see what everyone's opinion on the optimal upgrade path. I kind of like the stock rake, so perhaps maybe just shocks like bilsteins or eibachs? I am also very interested in NITTORIDGE GRAPPLERLT265 /65 R18 122Q E1 BSW. It would give me an extra inch of clearance and increase off-road capabilities in terms of traction compared to the stock hankooks(I love the sidewall grooves, ty to @AzScorpion for suggestion in random threads). The ply rating really makes me wanting to purchase it, going from 4 ply to 10 ply. What would you guys suggest I do, suspension/shocks first or upgrading stock hankooks to durable off-road tires? FYI: No FX4 shocks/suspension, just a plain ol' 4x4 with stock suspension. Going to keep stock wheels as I don't need to air down beyond 18psi imo, not a crazy rock crawler or anything. Thanks for the help.

Warm regards,
Brandon
I had 2.5 RC coilovers put on and went with 275/65/R18.
Sponsored

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Respectfully I disagree with that. :) There have been several who have posted here that with the stock Hankooks they were going slow and barley rubbed up against a rock and they punctured the sidewall. With all the small cactus and scrubby stuff out in the desert no way I would take a chance with them out there. Anything can happen to any tire but I try and take every precaution I can. Plus if you get tires now you should be able to sell the originals while they're still in good shape.
Ya, I wasn't meaning it couldn't happen, just saying I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Good point to the resale of the current tires.

Bludrok

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ranger5g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
All I see from all your comments is $$$ on $$$. I’m left more knowledgeable but my wallet is left more empty. Thanks all, helps a lot with the info.
It's a never ending battle. Just when you get all the upgrades you want, a new truck comes out and it's time to start all over.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Ya, I wasn't meaning it couldn't happen, just saying I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Good point to the resale of the current tires.
I know what you're saying and I agree it's probably a slight chance of it happening. But I tend to take more precautions than most and even then it's not always full proof. I sold my stock tires on Craigslist for $325.00 but have seen others who got $400 so that helps take the sting out of buying new ones so soon.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Get tires that won’t allow the truck to be driven then get the lift to fit the tires.
Real puzzlement here in Flagstaff. Site across the roadway has a Overland package...A Black H019 Overland trailer...a super duty F250 with a RTT over the bed on Yakima supports and Stock Tires on the Super Duty. His next door site neighbor told him that I was a Ford Truck Engineer and he should chat with me....Guy will not even wave when I am outside.... So chatting with his neighbor...it seems he wants to look the look but has no ambition to overland... A very expensive Mall Crawler it would appear... Go figure... I guess he pulls into RV parks and wants folks to "Ooh and Aah" at his set up. No Ooh and Aah from me....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Real puzzlement here in Flagstaff. Site across the roadway has a Overland package...A Black H019 Overland trailer...a super duty F250 with a RTT over the bed on Yakima supports and Stock Tires on the Super Duty. His next door site neighbor told him that I was a Ford Truck Engineer and he should chat with me....Guy will not even wave when I am outside.... So chatting with his neighbor...it seems he wants to look the look but has no ambition to overland... A very expensive Mall Crawler it would appear... Go figure... I guess he pulls into RV parks and wants folks to "Ooh and Aah" at his set up. No Ooh and Aah from me....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
maybe he likes to camp at the mall.... you need the lift to drive over the curbs to get the good parking spot.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,

There are a lot of guys on the Bronco forum adding the Sasquatch package (about $5K) with 35's who said they'll never take it off road. I can see getting all the creature comforts with the tech and all but wasting $5K just doesn't make financial sense. I guess some need to look like they're rock crawlers while cruising the malls. :giggle:

Last edited:

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Phil,

There are a lot of guys on the Bronco forum adding the Sasquatch package (about $5K) with 35's who said they'll never take it off road. I can see getting all the creature comforts with the tech and all but wasting $5K just doesn't make financial sense. I guess some need to look like they're rock crawlers while cruising the malls. :giggle:
This encompasses the vast majority of new Wranglers as well.

All dressed up and no place they'll go.

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
Mine came from factory with Bridgestone Dueler A/T’s so lucked out in that one
I made the experience that theese perform worse than the hankooks.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
"Overlanders" are the riced out Civics of the 2020s. Seems the ricers grew up, and made adult money. Yet kept their tendency to be posers.
Phil,

This encompasses the vast majority of new Wranglers as well.

All dressed up and no place they'll go.
Yep. My YJ on, until recently, Stock suspension had been off road more than 90% of Sasquatchs and Rubicons have/will.

Stephen

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Logistics
My $0.02, find someone who has a really similar setup and use that to guide you. Sounds simple, but I just went through both this week, as I didn't find anyone with a similar wheel/suspension setup.

I did tires first. Bought 285/70s, with +35 methods, and swapped my front intrusion beam, and pushed the back ones a bit further - on stock FX4. Everything was really tight, but clearances looked good for the upcoming suspension.

4 days later I did a Radflo 2.5 set with remote reservoirs, and found some strange quirk/angle in the front reservoir hoses causes tire rub at 90% lock. So my choices are: run spacers, buy new wheels (+10 offset or less), or get a shop that tunes shocks to make custom hoses. I spent weeks to avoid Option 1, I have 60 miles on my wheels, and shops are backed up until September here for Option 3. It appears the hose issue is Radflo specific, but it doesn't make me any happier, especially since my whole goal was tires in line with the truck and removal of rear beams. (Safety + keeping my ESP).

TLDR: find a setup you like, look closely, copy it.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I look at it a little different than most.

A lift/level will fit larger tires. So doing tires first might end up being a waste.

Doing lift/level first will end up looking like you skipped leg day.

The only logical conclusion is to do them at the same time.
It looks fine....

legs are over-rated

(j/k)

truck tires.jpg

Ford Performance Shocks and OME Springs on stock 18"

and the list continues...

OP, quick, delete your account

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
It looks fine....

legs are over-rated

truck tires.jpg

Ford Performance Shocks and OME Springs on stock 18"

and the list continues...

Quick, delete your account
Despite what your S.O. tells you, no, it does not.

It looks rather silly, ESPECIALLY with the 18" low pro tires.

Why would I delete my account?

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
Despite what your S.O. tells you, no, it does not.

It looks rather silly, ESPECIALLY with the 18" low pro tires.

Why would I delete my account?
edited my post for clarity
Sponsored