Shocks vs coilovers for stock height (or minimal lift)

dcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab
Just swapped the rear shocks on my FX4 to Eibachs. I'm considering upgrading the fronts as well, but NOT interesting in leveling - would prefer to stay at stock or maybe up 0.75". The vast majority of my driving is on road.

Is there much of a benefit to going with coilovers in this scenario? Is there actually a downside to running coilovers closer to stock height (believe I saw the Ford Performance Fox setup is recommended to stay at 2"). I assume most folks who go with coilovers are looking for additional height, so not sure if there are performance downsides to reducing the lift.

I'd probably go with the Eibachs to match the rears, so the difference between shocks vs coilovers is about $550. I'm willing to spend the money if there are benefits to be had, but if they are minimal (or if I'm compromising performance of the coilovers by running close to stock height), will stay with the shocks and put that $$ toward other upgrades.

Also - how much added work is it installing shocks vs coilovers (given you have to swap over springs and shock mounts)?
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Just swapped the rear shocks on my FX4 to Eibachs. I'm considering upgrading the fronts as well, but NOT interesting in leveling - would prefer to stay at stock or maybe up 0.75". The vast majority of my driving is on road.

Is there much of a benefit to going with coilovers in this scenario? Is there actually a downside to running coilovers closer to stock height (believe I saw the Ford Performance Fox setup is recommended to stay at 2"). I assume most folks who go with coilovers are looking for additional height, so not sure if there are performance downsides to reducing the lift.

I'd probably go with the Eibachs to match the rears, so the difference between shocks vs coilovers is about $550. I'm willing to spend the money if there are benefits to be had, but if they are minimal (or if I'm compromising performance of the coilovers by running close to stock height), will stay with the shocks and put that $$ toward other upgrades.

Also - how much added work is it installing shocks vs coilovers (given you have to swap over springs and shock mounts)?
You could use the Eiback Pro Sports shock with OEM spring setup and set it to .75 lift. Did exactly that with my 2019 XLT and had no problems and great ride. Eibach rears also. Still has a bit of rake to it which is fine by me.

OP
OP

dcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab
Thanks, yes, those were the front shocks I was considering (along with OEM springs). Just wondering what I might be missing out on vs going with the coilovers at the same height.

Did you install yourself? If so, any issues swapping parts over from the stock shocks?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No, I had them done as I don't have the necessary courage to do stuff that will kill me for my klutzyness :crackup:. Springs are usually stiffer with any of the kits (with springs)

The shocks with OEM springs seems very firm compared to FX4 (OEM) shocks to me and there is less front bounce as far as I can tell. Have no issues on roadways/highways...bump, your over it, no up/down - up down and nose dive on hard brake is probably cut by 1/2 to 2/3rds in my experience.

And these are adjustable also to about 2.5" if I remember.

Reactions: dcg

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Keeping it with Eibach just to match i feel is a good idea in general. Just never been a fan of mixing brands especially on suspension parts. Only bringing the front up by .75 you should be fine. Wich kit would I do? Just the basic and you should be fine. Even if you went with coilovers and had it set at .75 above stock you would be fine.

Reactions: dcg

OP
OP

dcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab
No, I had them done as I don't have the necessary courage to do stuff that will kill me for my klutzyness :crackup:. Springs are usually stiffer with any of the kits (with springs)

The shocks with OEM springs seems very firm compared to FX4 (OEM) shocks to me and there is less front bounce as far as I can tell. Have no issues on roadways/highways...bump, your over it, no up/down - up down and nose dive on hard brake is probably cut by 1/2 to 2/3rds in my experience.

And these are adjustable also to about 2.5" if I remember.
Fair enough, I should probably take the same approach and have someone else install :) Good to hear you've been happy with them.

Keeping it with Eibach just to match i feel is a good idea in general. Just never been a fan of mixing brands especially on suspension parts. Only bringing the front up by .75 you should be fine. Wich kit would I do? Just the basic and you should be fine. Even if you went with coilovers and had it set at .75 above stock you would be fine.
Thanks, I suspect so as well, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out.

Video I found from Eibach discussing the differences:

They mostly focus on the added adjustability (threaded vs slots, ability to adjust on truck, ability to swap springs) and pre-assembly. Surprised they don't get into performance at all, other than a message in the comments section that both are good on street and coils are valved to perform better offroad - wish they'd gone into more detail on the differences.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Fair enough, I should probably take the same approach and have someone else install :) Good to hear you've been happy with them.

Thanks, I suspect so as well, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out.

Video I found from Eibach discussing the differences:

They mostly focus on the added adjustability (threaded vs slots, ability to adjust on truck, ability to swap springs) and pre-assembly. Surprised they don't get into performance at all, other than a message in the comments section that both are good on street and coils are valved to perform better offroad - wish they'd gone into more detail on the differences.
The valving equates to rebound (I believe) and less travel in the shock as a whole...I am not a suspension guy, so I can't speak to more than that.

Maybe if people are tuning the suspension/height? I don't know the value of it at this point, other than the Pro-Lift would be a "gross" adjustment as opposed to threaded finer adjustment.

IMO I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between .75 fixed and .82 in the adjusted. Now someone like Doc (@Doc ) who runs for time probably could as there may be some aero-dynamic benefits from fine adjustment. Again, IMO, for general road travelling, you'd be fine and still have some money for other mods...all about the coin :crackup: of course, quality parts count too, but good shopping gets you a lot at better values YRMV.

Good luck

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
The valving equates to rebound (I believe) and less travel in the shock as a whole...I am not a suspension guy, so I can't speak to more than that.

Maybe if people are tuning the suspension/height? I don't know the value of it at this point, other than the Pro-Lift would be a "gross" adjustment as opposed to threaded finer adjustment.

IMO I don't think you'd be able to tell the difference between .75 fixed and .82 in the adjusted. Now someone like Doc (@Doc ) who runs for time probably could as there may be some aero-dynamic benefits from fine adjustment. Again, IMO, for general road travelling, you'd be fine and still have some money for other mods...all about the coin :crackup: of course, quality parts count too, but good shopping gets you a lot at better values YRMV.

Good luck
My Shocks are King Adjustables
for Drag Racing Setup I run..

Rear Compression is lowered all the way and Increased Rebound all the way.

Front is increased compression all the way, and Rebound is Lowered all the way ..
Regards

OP
OP

dcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCab
@FoD very much agree I won't be able to tell the difference between the minor height adjustments - the 0.75" notches on the shocks is plenty fine for me. I feel confident installing coilovers based upon the videos I've watched, so the question is swapping springs. If I end up taking it to the shop and paying someone - well, I'd rather have put the money toward better parts vs installation cost.

@Doc sounds like your use case is a bit more extreme than mine :) Nice setup!
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc