Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Hello all,

I wanted to see what everyone's opinion on the optimal upgrade path. I kind of like the stock rake, so perhaps maybe just shocks like bilsteins or eibachs? I am also very interested in NITTORIDGE GRAPPLERLT265 /65 R18 122Q E1 BSW. It would give me an extra inch of clearance and increase off-road capabilities in terms of traction compared to the stock hankooks(I love the sidewall grooves, ty to @AzScorpion for suggestion in random threads). The ply rating really makes me wanting to purchase it, going from 4 ply to 10 ply. What would you guys suggest I do, suspension/shocks first or upgrading stock hankooks to durable off-road tires? FYI: No FX4 shocks/suspension, just a plain ol' 4x4 with stock suspension. Going to keep stock wheels as I don't need to air down beyond 18psi imo, not a crazy rock crawler or anything. Thanks for the help.

Warm regards,
Brandon
Sponsored

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
I would absolutely do tires first.

You can get out into the desert with competent rubber and have fun.

Doing suspension 2nd will provide a nice contrast to the stock stuff and your butt can explain to your brain that the $$$ was well spent.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hello all,

I wanted to see what everyone's opinion on the optimal upgrade path. I kind of like the stock rake, so perhaps maybe just shocks like bilsteins or eibachs? I am also very interested in NITTORIDGE GRAPPLERLT265 /65 R18 122Q E1 BSW. It would give me an extra inch of clearance and increase off-road capabilities in terms of traction compared to the stock hankooks(I love the sidewall grooves, ty to @AzScorpion for suggestion in random threads). The ply rating really makes me wanting to purchase it, going from 4 ply to 10 ply. What would you guys suggest I do, suspension/shocks first or upgrading stock hankooks to durable off-road tires? FYI: No FX4 shocks/suspension, just a plain ol' 4x4 with stock suspension. Going to keep stock wheels as I don't need to air down beyond 18psi imo, not a crazy rock crawler or anything. Thanks for the help.

Warm regards,
Brandon
Brandon, I would do the tires first mostly for peace of mind not getting a puncture/blowout on the stock ones. I'm not always rock crawling but we are out in the desert often (that's where we go shooting) and I just felt safer with better tires. Sure something can happen to those too but I feel there's less of a chance. With the Nitto's there are two different sidewalls where ones more aggressive and that's the one I had them face outside.

I bought mine online here. At the time they were a lot cheaper than any place around here. But you should message @Discount Tire because they matched that price when I replaced the spare tire.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
before tires and suspension, you need to do the TG damper.

simply because of safety

once your trucks gets another inch or so higher, you basically have put the installation of a damper at dizzying heights where fall arrest protection is required.

just get it done before you get to high. a slip and fall from that height can be fatal.

Are you trying to get him killed? You need to do the tires first because the stock tires will never handle all that extra HP from the damper. See RP you would know this if you would just get one for yourself. ?

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I would absolutely do tires first.

You can get out into the desert with competent rubber and have fun.

Doing suspension 2nd will provide a nice contrast to the stock stuff and your butt can explain to your brain that the $$$ was well spent.
Very good point, thank you.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Bandon, I would do the tires first mostly for peace of mind not getting a puncture/blowout on the stock ones. I'm not always rock crawling but we are out in the desert often (that's where we go shooting) and I just felt safer with better tires. Sure something can happen to those too but I feel there's less of a chance. With the Nitto's there are two different sidewalls where ones more aggressive and that's the one I had them face outside.

I bought mine online here. At the time they were a lot cheaper than any place around here. But you should message @Discount Tire because they matched that price when I replaced the spare tire.
Thank you for the insight, Dave. Makes sense, one wrong sharp rock in the wrong place and the sidewall is punctured. I also feel a lot safer with the 10 ply and second your choice on the more aggressive sidewall. Looks really good.

Appreciate that tip, didn’t even consider the price match and save me a few bucks for that damper @RANGER PRIDE mentioned. Don’t want to get injured ?

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
before tires and suspension, you need to do the TG damper.

simply because of safety

once your trucks gets another inch or so higher, you basically have put the installation of a damper at dizzying heights where fall arrest protection is required.

just get it done before you get to high. a slip and fall from that height can be fatal.
I call your sarcasm and raise you a dad move.

The OP should pay off their auto loan first. I am assuming they have a loan because it seems to be the norm in these parts.

Womp, womp, womp

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I call your sarcasm and raise you a dad move.

The OP should pay off their auto loan first. I am assuming they have a loan because it seems to be the norm in these parts.

Womp, womp, womp
I totally agree haha. I’d keep this thing mostly stock if I had a loan on it. I’m too broke to be doing mods AND a loan!! ?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
My view is a bit different than y’all. Still waiting for my shocks. No offense but the factory ones suck. No, they really suck! Tires isn’t changing that fact. Honestly, the longer you use them the worse they get.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I totally agree haha. I’d keep this thing mostly stock if I had a loan on it.

I’m too broke to be doing mods AND a loan!! ?
You'd be smart to delete your account fast. You should know by now this place is a money pit and is known to drain bank accounts all by itself in the middle of the night. :curse:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
You'd be smart to delete your account fast. You should know by now this place is a money pit and is known to drain bank accounts all by itself in the middle of the night. :curse:
My wife use to complain about my snoring. I told her it wasn’t me, it’s my wallet and the sucking sound that sounds like snoring! ?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
My view is a bit different than y’all. Still waiting for my shocks. No offense but the factory ones suck. No, they really suck! Tires isn’t changing that fact. Honestly, the longer you use them the worse they get.
I hear so many say this and I don't see it at all. But every F 150 I've owned has had the Fx4 suspension and I guess I'm use to it. Plus IIRC you really don't go off road so suspension makes more. sense. Personally I wouldn't trust the stock Hankooks going off road. I remember seeing some blowing out their sidewalls just rubbing up against small rocks.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
I hear so many say this and I don't see it at all. But every F 150 I've owned has had the Fx4 suspension and I guess I'm use to it. Plus IIRC you really don't go off road so suspension makes more. sense. Personally I wouldn't trust the stock Hankooks going off road. I remember seeing some blowing out their sidewalls just rubbing up against small rocks.
Mine came from factory with Bridgestone Dueler A/T’s so lucked out in that one

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Which shocks are you considering? Something to keep in mind after tires possibly for me.

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
It’s too late, some folks here told me the water is fine. The water is like apparently a leap of faith into the volcano money pit, shouldn’t have got my toes wet…
Sponsored