Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've been going around about doing a lift for a couple months now. Quick Lane doesn't have alignment specs yet so I have been waiting. In the meantime, Eibac has released some adjustable shocks.

With that being a given that shocks are now available, what would you do? A spacer or adjustable shock and why?

I'm not concerned with car-like ride quality at this point. Will always feel like a truck. Maybe it will wallow less with new shocks

Just looking at the pros and cons of going to adjustable shock versus spacers

Thanks for your opinions
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've been going around about doing a lift for a couple months now. Quick Lane doesn't have alignment specs yet so I have been waiting. In the meantime, Eibac has released some adjustable shocks.

With that being a given that shocks are now available, what would you do? A spacer or adjustable shock and why?

I'm not concerned with car-like ride quality at this point. Will always feel like a truck. Maybe it will wallow less with new shocks

Thanks for your opinions
Hi Tom,

With adjustable shocks, my first question is what is adjustable. Just rebound? Both Jounce and Rebound? What about low speed, High Speed...shock valving is actually quite complicated with many variables that can be adjusted... Usually, adjustable shocks are just for fine tuning of certain parameters, not making wholesale changes. Shocks are velocity dependent devices. Spacers are inert...they just sit there. So the question is what are you wishing to accomplish? Change ride height for appearance or change in suspension dynamics. Please bare in mind that there are no easy answers, because if it was easy, we would not need Vehicle Dynamics engineers. The challenge is to define what you wish to accomplish and then head in that direction. Unfortunately, many Folks have not answered that question before embarking on aftermarket mods.

Sorry to have likely muddied the waters, but you asked for opinions and I just delivered mine. Keep me in the loop on what you are doing!

Best of luck!

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tom,

With adjustable shocks, my first question is what is adjustable. Just rebound? Both Jounce and Rebound? What about low speed, High Speed...shock valving is actually quite complicated with many variables that can be adjusted... Usually, adjustable shocks are just for fine tuning of certain parameters, not making wholesale changes. Shocks are velocity dependent devices. Spacers are inert...they just sit there. So the question is what are you wishing to accomplish? Change ride height for appearance or change in suspension dynamics. Please bare in mind that there are no easy answers, because if it was easy, we would not need Vehicle Dynamics engineers. The challenge is to define what you wish to accomplish and then head in that direction. Unfortunately, many Folks have not answered that question before embarking on aftermarket mods.

Sorry to have likely muddied the waters, but you asked for opinions and I just delivered mine. Keep me in the loop on what you are doing!

Best of luck!

Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Thanks Phil. I was sold on spacers. But then since I've been waiting for alignment specs different companies have been releasing shocks. Adjustable from 0 to 3 in. To accomplish a level which is all I want to do. Are spacers kind of a "Rube Goldberg" kind of thing or are they valid ways to solve the leveling issue. What are the advantages of shock replacement versus using a spacer?

Not going to go off-road. Maybe some fire trails I've already driven on with a sports car. I'm just wondering since they both will resolve my issue, which is better for the truck? A spacer? Or adjustable shocks? All that said, I could use a little stiffness on the front end.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks Phil. I was sold on spacers. But then since I've been waiting for alignment specs different companies have been releasing shocks. Adjustable from 0 to 3 in. To accomplish a level which is all I want to do. Are spacers kind of a "Rube Goldberg" kind of thing or are they valid ways to solve the leveling issue. What are the advantages of shock replacement versus using a spacer?

Not going to go off-road. Maybe some fire trails I've already driven on with a sports car. I'm just wondering since they both will resolve my issue, which is better for the truck? A spacer? Or adjustable shocks? All that said, I could use a little stiffness on the front end.
Hi Tom,

Hard for me to answer which would be better between gas shocks and a spacer, as I have no data to analyze on the impact of either change. Shocks depending on valving can have huge ramifications that may not bubble up for years depending.

Allow me to use another back story. I had Chassis CAE at the time and the Ranger folks came to me with a problem. The Ranger durability vehicles were exhibiting frame cracking of the No. 4 crossmember and they wanted to see if that was a problem area based on Frame FEA analysis. The frame had been carryover for many years and never show any cracking in that area. Ford does not allow any cracking of any frame member, so Ranger had a problem that needed resolution. I knew the area in question was caused by the rear shocks transferring loads into the frame...The reason was the Ranger folks tweaked the shocks to address a chronic customer complaint of harsh ride. So my frame analysis engineer cranked up the loads on the FEA model until we got the indication of possible cracking...The loading was almost double and that was not the answer but showed that the area of the frame was very robust. The problem was cyclic fatigue damage, but how with these "minor" tweaks to the shocks.
A bit of a head scratcher, but we devised a plan to asses this. I took a couple OEM shocks and Tweaked shocks over to the shock dyno and we measured the forces generated by the shocks at several speeds. Now armed with this data, which by the way is just data. The engineer earns his/her salt by extracting the information contained in the data. We developed fatigue histograms for both shocks and from that via integration we determined the area under the curve and that info showed that the tweaked shocks has 4 times more cumulative fatigue damage than the OEM shocks. Now we had our answer and the "minor tweak" was not so minor... Ranger had to reverse the plan to incorporate the tweaked shocks in a running change.

The take away from all the above is that when you lift the vehicle, change the tires and rim widths and offsets and add spacers etc, you are in uncharted territory as to unanticipated ramifications. That is why I am hesitant to make any recommendations on these modifications. With little to no data to analyze it is hard to know if "stiffer shocks" for example, are still within the factor of safety to which the truck is designed. Hope this make sense.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tom,

Hard for me to answer which would be better between gas shocks and a spacer, as I have no data to analyze on the impact of either change. Shocks depending on valving can have huge ramifications that may not bubble up for years depending.

Allow me to use another back story. I had Chassis CAE at the time and the Ranger folks came to me with a problem. The Ranger durability vehicles were exhibiting frame cracking of the No. 4 crossmember and they wanted to see if that was a problem area based on Frame FEA analysis. The frame had been carryover for many years and never show any cracking in that area. Ford does not allow any cracking of any frame member, so Ranger had a problem that needed resolution. I knew the area in question was caused by the rear shocks transferring loads into the frame...The reason was the Ranger folks tweaked the shocks to address a chronic customer complaint of harsh ride. So my frame analysis engineer cranked up the loads on the FEA model until we got the indication of possible cracking...The loading was almost double and that was not the answer but showed that the area of the frame was very robust. The problem was cyclic fatigue damage, but how with these "minor" tweaks to the shocks.
A bit of a head scratcher, but we devised a plan to asses this. I took a couple OEM shocks and Tweaked shocks over to the shock dyno and we measured the forces generated by the shocks at several speeds. Now armed with this data, which by the way is just data. The engineer earns his/her salt by extracting the information contained in the data. We developed fatigue histograms for both shocks and from that via integration we determined the area under the curve and that info showed that the tweaked shocks has 4 times more cumulative fatigue damage than the OEM shocks. Now we had our answer and the "minor tweak" was not so minor... Ranger had to reverse the plan to incorporate the tweaked shocks in a running change.

The take away from all the above is that when you lift the vehicle, change the tires and rim widths and offsets and add spacers etc, you are in uncharted territory as to unanticipated ramifications. That is why I am hesitant to make any recommendations on these modifications. With little to no data to analyze it is hard to know if "stiffer shocks" for example, are still within the factor of safety to which the truck is designed. Hope this make sense.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Thanks Phil makes perfect sense. If the shocks are not a clear advantage over a space or I'll just do the space or I'm not doing wheels and tires and suspension. Just want to raise the front to match the back a little bit. I was just wondering if a shock would be a better way to do the same thing but apparently not.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Sounds like from your discussion with Phil, a spacer will do just fine

I have the spacer - no loss of ride quality, feels more firmly planted, looks way better, does great off road, was super cheap and did it in the driveway

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
Sounds like from your discussion with Phil, a spacer will do just fine

I have the spacer - no loss of ride quality, feels more firmly planted, looks way better, does great off road, was super cheap and did it in the driveway
Which spacer did you go with? I want to maintain a slight rake plus I have a topper in the bed which has ostensibly lowered the rear (though I didn't get measurements prior to install so I can't be sure).

I'm thinking something like a 1.5" spacer would be about right?

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Which spacer did you go with? I want to maintain a slight rake plus I have a topper in the bed which has ostensibly lowered the rear (though I didn't get measurements prior to install so I can't be sure).

I'm thinking something like a 1.5" spacer would be about right?
2.5" by Rough Country - Most people seem to really like or hate this brand. 2.5" it sits pretty level. Level enough for me, took about 2.5 hours to install. There is a 3" "true level" kit out there too.

I have a tonneau cover also, and when I load all my camping gear the rear sags a little. So I purchased Air Lift air bags for dual use of load carrying and towing whenever needed. Can still roll around town with no load and have stock suspension feel

If you want to keep a slight rake than 1.5" would be good probably

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
2.5" RC's here too and I love the look and ride quality which seems to be same as stock to me which I like.
I'd like to find a rear shock that softens the bump and occasional pothole hits.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.5" RC's here too and I love the look and ride quality which seems to be same as stock to me which I like.
I'd like to find a rear shock that softens the bump and occasional pothole hits.
If you are looking for something else to add to the look and add some stability while keeping the stock ride quality, try the 1.5" wheel spacers by Factionfab for like $200 - hubcentric, quick install and no need to cut studs. I like my stock wheels so went with spacers that bring it right to the edge of the wheel well

I agree the rear is a bit bouncy, feels better with some weight like most pickups

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
I would be curious of the alignment settings of "stock" versus "lifted". I would like to see them broken down between 2wd/4wd with spacers above the stock shock tower (which was first to come out and popular, plus easy install), a spacer between the stock spring and shock tower (a newer option from SVCoffroad) and a complete coil over shock setup (Eibach).

I'm betting a 2wd leveling springs and longer shocks will be offered before too much longer which I assume would be close to the same alignment settings as what SVC is offering and I guess a full coil over setup.

Having done a spring lift on my 2wd 97Ranger I'm familiar with the wear and tear a lift can do and the hassles with alignment, not to mention increase tire size/weight. Granted, the older Rangers were prone to wear anyway but when we modify beyond stock what will be the long term effects?
The closer alignment numbers are to the stock tolerances is what I think would be the best option.

As far as which is better depends on your use. Hard core off road driving I would say Eibach has that fix and springs and shocks will give you a firmer ride.
Looking good around town, spacers do the trick.

(BTW, I didn't intend to leave out any manufactures and do not favor one over the other. This sites Vendor pages has a nice selection of options.)

Last edited:

Deleted member 773

Thanks for your opinions
Check out the SVC option, essentially increasing preload like turning up an adjustable doing collar on a Fox/king/icon shock.

Spacers are a lousy route.

The top shock companies all have great options as per usual, they each tend to tune their shocks for different responses over terrain to handle how they feel the truck should respond, talk with a suspension shop that sells a few different options to see what they world recommend for the results you want to feel.

I ordered the svc collar, shows up tomorrow. I added a rear sway bar to flatten out the rear end, I would like to increase the front end preload to reduce diving under breaking and also raise it a little so the collar made the most sense. I plan on upgrading the suspension front and rear at 30,000 miles.

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I would never do a spacer. It's the literal equivalent of extending the suspension at a stand-still so the suspension is "standing on its tippy toes." Every inch you spacer you give up an inch in downward suspension travel, which can only result in a harsher ride and less traction. The advantage is a higher default clearance and approach angle. And looks, I guess, if you think a truck needs to look level.

Phil's story is R&D, researchers to this day are using the empirical pdf and cdf to answer dynamic and complicated questions in many many fields besides automotive engineering. I would not translate that into a recommendation for spacers. Fox, Eibach, or whoever's manufacturing technology, has probably changed drastically in the last 20 years to bring a better and affordable shock & valving. The Raptor uses Fox, Toyota TRD Pro uses Fox. What does that tell you?

If you like the new ride quality, the look, and the price, a spacer is right for you. If you want the best performance, pay for a better solution. If you know the bounds of the capability that will work for you, stay original. Why does Ford make their own FX4 shock as-is? Hell if I know, but I'll bet economics has something to do with it.

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Last edited:

808matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Sport Package, 2015 f450 Bucket Truck
Went with pandas spacer/leveling kit because it was cheap and easy to install. Will get full suspension later on when funds become available. Does feel a little firmer in the front
Sponsored