Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Occupation
Writer
Very good point and I feel the same about SuperWinch. So maybe the Warn or just my old come-along is good enough and I need to stop thinking about "what if" situations.

Once I got stuck in a rising tide way south on Padre Island. Nose facing the gulf, engine running because the starter was going under the salt water and nothing within 300 feet to attach a winch to (and no under chassis pulley system to pull backward).

I thought I was going to lose the Tojo that day. I had a CB but was too far from anything or anyone.

Well, within a few minutes, a CJ-5 and some 4x4 pickup snatched me out. I had laid out rope and chain in case anyone came, and ... phew ... someone was smiling down on me that day!

I'll never be in that remote of a situation again plus we have cell phones these days.
You should really check out Maxtrax.
Sponsored

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Amen! still better to never use it vs. need it and be without. I hear a lot of good about the badlands winch. project farm had a winch episode recently and recommended a china winch. I keep a come along in the truck just in case my china winch decides to poop out at the wrong time.
Plus that come-along will be quite a lesson teacher if you have to use it for any amount of distance. I mean my use of it when I was 15 over a three-day period is still pretty vivid (and may explain my sore back!).

And, if I don't buy a winch, I can spend money on other Ranger stuff!

1680902115916.png

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Agreed, those would serve me well. And at 46", they'd fit in my SuperCab (gotta keep the back clear for max dump capability). Looks like the MKIIs may be the best choice for me?

https://maxtraxus.com/collections/maxtrax-mkii-recovery-boards

Speaking of traction, I wish these were still being made:

http://pronghorngear.com/linktrac/

1680902475351.png
Yeah, the Mk2s are the all rounders. Minis are for Subarus and Extremes are for professionals.

Honestly, nothing else works as well. There's a reason they're the size they are, etc etc. Avoid the knockoffs, they're made from plastic, not nylon, and only last a single use as a result. You only need one pair.

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Yeah, the Mk2s are the all rounders. Minis are for Subarus and Extremes are for professionals.

Honestly, nothing else works as well. There's a reason they're the size they are, etc etc. Avoid the knockoffs, they're made from plastic, not nylon, and only last a single use as a result. You only need one pair.
Ooh, I didn't see the minis. My "off-road" antics may make me identify as a subaru (but at least, if I do, I have a damper!). =p

Thanks Wes! =)

Edit: Holy crap, those are really mini, maybe too mini for Soupie!

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
Ooh, I didn't see the minis. My "off-road" antics may make me identify as a subaru (but at least, if I do, I have a damper!). =p

Thanks Wes! =)

Edit: Holy crap, those are really mini, maybe too mini for Soupie!
Yeah, the Minis are very mini.

Before I got my first GFC, I was able to squeeze my Mk2s inside the bed, tucked between the wheel arch and top rail. Just secured with a raft strap. Ate up zero space.

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
Yeah, the Minis are very mini.

Before I got my first GFC, I was able to squeeze my Mk2s inside the bed, tucked between the wheel arch and top rail. Just secured with a raft strap. Ate up zero space.
That's a great tip!

After seeing a spare wheel mount on the MaxTrax site, I wondered if I could tuck them under the bed, I don't worry about high-centering and wouldn't be too worried about them getting mucky (but if I did get stuck in the mud, it would be terrible to try to get them from under there).

The wheel well trick sounds ideal! And a huge plus for getting them!

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If you don't want to deal with cost/install/upgrading suspension to support weight, etc etc etc, just grab a set of Maxtrax. They'll be plenty for getting you out of that occasional mud hole.
Winch on a tray with 2" reciever is a good way to make a modular setup and a hell of a lot better than plastic trays.

I've yet to mount my front reciever on the Ranger, but the ability to move 1 winch front to rear at will is clutch. And once my Ranger's front reciever is in I'll have 2 vehicles front and rear covered with one winch.

Not a bad setup for light/infrequent use.

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer
That's a great tip!

After seeing a spare wheel mount on the MaxTrax site, I wondered if I could tuck them under the bed, I don't worry about high-centering and wouldn't be too worried about them getting mucky (but if I did get stuck in the mud, it would be terrible to try to get them from under there).

The wheel well trick sounds ideal! And a huge plus for getting them!
Yeah, don't put them under the truck. Should be easy just to keep them in bed.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
A winch is made as a last resort type item to get yourself out of trouble when Off-road. When selecting a winch you need to make sure it will be able to pull the weight of your vehicle. A winch that small is great for a Side by Side at best. For your Ranger you need bigger. Also don't skimp on a cheap winch. If you do there is no guarantee that it will work when you need it. Also it will pay for itself the first time you have to use it.

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
A 4k pound winch is pretty small, depending on how you plan to use it. I had one that size on my Polaris RZR and it was about as small as I'd want to go for that.

If I decide to get a winch for my truck I plan to go with a hitch mounted setup (adding a front receiver), with connections front/rear, and something to securely store the winch assembly in the bed when I'm not using it. Honestly, I spend a lot of time off-road, and I don't feel a strong need to get one any time soon.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I did a search and found fantastic threads on hitch-mounted winches but didn't find any on a "portable tackle box winch".

https://www.superwinch.com/en/produ...synthetic-rope-portable-utility-winch-1140232

I really, really like this post and solution:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/talk-to-me-about-rear-mounted-winches.11440/post-368276

But I'm no longer doing heavy off-road action. I did all that in my youth with my FJ40 and it's power take-off 1962 Ramsey winch. That pulled me across rivers, out of big holes, and pulled fallen trees out of the way.

I just want a little piece of mind and maybe not only rely on my old, but very well proven come-along (three days of it to get out of a swamp way back in 1977 or so).

I know it's not a big winch, this would be for a mud puddle on a decent forest road, and like my onboard tool box, it will likely never be used. It certainly is more power than me pushing and Kate flooring it. Plus, Cheech is only 20 pounds and hooking him up would be useless! =D

What I like - fairly small and not too heavy, easy option
Don't like - crappy plastic box, low pull power, limited use

Now I don't mind assembling my own with a fabricated rear hitch mount and a smaller winch, weight is a big deal, I have to be able to handle it alone, so no 80 pound action but a rear-hitch winch makes a lot of sense for me.

Anyone have any experience in using this Winch2Go?

1680888403585.png
I'm not even gonna comment on this one, keeps me outa trouble ?

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
A winch is made as a last resort type item to get yourself out of trouble when Off-road. When selecting a winch you need to make sure it will be able to pull the weight of your vehicle. A winch that small is great for a Side by Side at best. For your Ranger you need bigger. Also don't skimp on a cheap winch. If you do there is no guarantee that it will work when you need it. Also it will pay for itself the first time you have to use it.
While I don't really do any offroading, I do drive Forest Service roads, even in snow. The three times I've gotten in trouble it has been in snow. Once was when one of my rear wheels slipped off the road - thankfully I was meeting a friend of mine up there and we were able to pull my truck back up on the road with a comealong after a LOT of effort. The second time was when I was driving in the snow - all was good until I tried to turn around and the snow was too deep for me - I started to use my comealong but fortunately a jeep came by and had a winch - he pulled me out in about 5 minutes. After that one, I bought my winch. The last time was just a stupid thing - I was turning around in the snow again but didn't realize how deep the ditch was on the side of the road - my tires fell into the ditch and I couldn't get out. With the winch, it took me only a few minutes to free myself. I had hoped to not use it, but it has already paid for itself even though I wasn't trying to get stuck.

I bought my winch wanting it to get me out of whatever I might find myself in, even though I am not doing anything crazy.

OP
OP
subquark

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
game publisher
While I don't really do any offroading, I do drive Forest Service roads, even in snow. The three times I've gotten in trouble it has been in snow. Once was when one of my rear wheels slipped off the road - thankfully I was meeting a friend of mine up there and we were able to pull my truck back up on the road with a comealong after a LOT of effort. The second time was when I was driving in the snow - all was good until I tried to turn around and the snow was too deep for me - I started to use my comealong but fortunately a jeep came by and had a winch - he pulled me out in about 5 minutes. After that one, I bought my winch. The last time was just a stupid thing - I was turning around in the snow again but didn't realize how deep the ditch was on the side of the road - my tires fell into the ditch and I couldn't get out. With the winch, it took me only a few minutes to free myself. I had hoped to not use it, but it has already paid for itself even though I wasn't trying to get stuck.

I bought my winch wanting it to get me out of whatever I might find myself in, even though I am not doing anything crazy.
That's a good story and close to what I'd like to do. Probably no snow covered forest roads, they get closed here for snowmobiling BUT summer forest reading sounds great.

And your examples are poignant and could easily happen to a 2-wheel drive in summertime.

I've now ditched (no pun intended) the Winch2Go idea. I'm leaning to a full-size winch on a receiver mount.

Thanks for sharing your experiences! =)

Wes Siler

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WesSiler.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Writer

Every 4x4 should have a winch.
Sponsored