Winch recommendations for hidden winch mount?

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
So I have the hidden winch mount from 589Fab on order and starting to consider winches. What are people using that fits with this bracket?
Sponsored

amick1995

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Trenor
I don’t have the hidden winch mount, but I’ve got a Smittybilt 10k x20s gen 2 with synthetic rope on mine. I’m very happy with it, it works well. I know a lot of people who use smittybilt winches and have been rough on them and they have had no issues.
Pretty much anything else smittybilt I won’t buy, but their winches are good quality IMO, especially for the price.

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Mine just shipped out. I was planning on a Warn Zeon 10, but after double checking specs, it looks like that's not actually going to fit in there. So now I'm wondering if I just want to drop down to the Warn Evo 10, or if I want to consider alternative brands to see if there's one in the feature/build quality range of the Zeon, but the size of the Evo. I'm also planning on sticking to the steel cable. This is going to be my first vehicle mounted winch (so I only have online info and not personal experience), the main reason I'm selecting that is for the reduced maintance associated with the steel cable over the synthetic line. It doesn't seem to be a popular opinion though, most seem to think that synthetic is just better. What's your plan?

589 Dimensions: Rough inner dimensions for winch fitment: 23.25" x 7.25" x 8.75"
Warn Zeon 10: 24.25'' x 7.15'' x 7.84''

It's about an inch too wide.

OP
OP
gwhalin

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I am right now leaning towards a Superwinch SX10SR. I definitely prefer synthetic rope.

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
I have the 589 Fab mount and have been using a Rough Country 9.5K synthetic unit for a while now. Have pulled a f150 and empty boat trailer out of the lake, a toyota corolla out of a ditch, another old f150 out of a muddy field, two volvo 740's out of the woods for a buddy, about 20 tree stumps and my truck after high centering on a stump in a creek bed and never once had a problem. Plus I love that you can barely see it.

bigfork1.jpg

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the 589 Fab mount and have been using a Rough Country 9.5K synthetic unit for a while now. Have pulled a f150 and empty boat trailer out of the lake, a toyota corolla out of a ditch, another old f150 out of a muddy field, two volvo 740's out of the woods for a buddy, about 20 tree stumps and my truck after high centering on a stump in a creek bed and never once had a problem. Plus I love that you can barely see it.

bigfork1.jpg
Sick truck man! Do you have any problems accessing the winch with this hidden mount? The badlands winch I'm looking at has a release lever for drawing out the line. I'm wondering I'd lose that capability with the winch hidden in the bumper.

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Hey thanks man!
Space is a little tight in there but can still access everything fine. The rough country has a neutral position to pull line out.

Rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SR5 access cab, 98 Civic ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Occupation
professional anime watcher!
Vehicle Showcase
ive ran superwinch and it burned up within a year... so i only run warn now. i do know the badlands winch is a decent one for the money so if you are on a budget look at those

also just about any winch will work in these if you are willing to one clock the winch and reroute the control box on it

OP
OP
gwhalin

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I ended up going with the Superwinch SX10.

4A0951B2-1F4E-47B1-AD0C-7989A04C3A5B.jpeg

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
I’ve used my rough country winch about 30 times now and have never had an issue with it. I’m not partial to the brand really. Just stating I’ve used the crap out of it and it’s always done great. Run the entire spool in multiple times in a row on several occasions and it barely got warm. Only prob I see is it is sometimes a bit weaker if pulling gets closer to the limit. Or I could be pulling too much. Not sure really.
But for the money I would say it’s a solid winch. And what was used by 589 Fab at the time which is who made my mount so knew it would fit since it was a relatively new product.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
I’ve used my rough country winch about 30 times now and have never had an issue with it. I’m not partial to the brand really. Just stating I’ve used the crap out of it and it’s always done great. Run the entire spool in multiple times in a row on several occasions and it barely got warm. Only prob I see is it is sometimes a bit weaker if pulling gets closer to the limit. Or I could be pulling too much. Not sure really.
But for the money I would say it’s a solid winch. And what was used by 589 Fab at the time which is who made my mount so knew it would fit since it was a relatively new product.
i eye balled the rc winch and badlands winch. Both appear to be very similar. if they are not made at the same factory then dressed as whatever brand id be surprised.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Any of yall with a winch add an extra battery or bigger alternator etc?
Im going to put a winch on this winter and still have the OEM battery. IDK if it is up to the task. the winch is a 10k pound. I would have the engine running the entire time of course. So much electrical nanny crap on these trucks I am hesitant to try a second battery setup. My luck the dash would light up like christmas and fry something important.
Sponsored