SuperCab rear seat measurements

csmacomber

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Tacoma
I am back to being in the market for a new truck (Covid put a damper on actually buying anything before), and I am trying to determine if a SuperCab will fit my needs. My household is myself, my wife, and a 5 year old boy.

What I am trying to figure out is how much room there is in the back of a SuperCab, on the passenger side. I am interested in the minimum room (passenger seat all the way back) and maximum room (passenger seat all the way forward). My wife is super short (barely 5'), and we normally take her car if it is all of us. I would much prefer the longer bed, but only if it will work if the 3 of us do need to be in the truck at the same time. I have been to the dealerships out here a few times, but they have never had a SuperCab for me to actually get a direct look at.

Thank you for any help that can be provided.
Sponsored

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
If it's any help at 5'9" I can sit behind myself, It's not very comfortable since the seat back is nearly vertical, but I do fit. The measurements you want should be available from your Ford dealer.

OP
OP

csmacomber

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Tacoma
If it's any help at 5'9" I can sit behind myself, It's not very comfortable since the seat back is nearly vertical, but I do fit. The measurements you want should be available from your Ford dealer.
I'm trying to understand the measurements the dealership gave me on it. I was told the rear seat has a maximum of just over 30" legroom. However, my current Tacoma (SuperCrew equivalent) is sitting at about 27" where I have the seat. The dealer did not tell me what the minimum was (said he didn't know), and they have yet to have on on the lot that I can just go play with myself.

What I am hoping is that I can put the passenger seat in a position for my wife where the kid can sit behind her with no issues, and then I can have the longer bed in the truck. I may just have to hold out until I actually have access to one to see for myself though.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
just my opinion....your boy is not going to stay 5 years old. as he grows , the truck will still be the same size & he could become uncomfortable in the back of a super cab.
if I had kids I would buy the crew cab.

OP
OP

csmacomber

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Tacoma
just my opinion....your boy is not going to stay 5 years old. as he grows , the truck will still be the same size & he could become uncomfortable in the back of a super cab.
if I had kids I would buy the crew cab.
But that doesn't really answer what I am looking for. I know he is going to grow. I also know the vehicle is not the primary family vehicle and the vehicles we own are going to change, so I am looking at now and short future, not the far future. The one measurement I can find says it has more room than what I currently provide my son, so if that is true then there is no issue for my needs. However, I find that hard to believe considering I have a SuperCrew equivalent.

The extra bed length would be nice. Ford doesn't give me the option for both (and then I would have to consider overall length and the size of my garage), so I am trying to weigh one against the other. I can find the details of the bed lengths and sizes all over, but not the cab, thus the question.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
Chris, if you're looking at the short term your son won't have any problems sitting in the back seat of a SuperCab. The seats are at an odd angle, but it won't matter to a 5 year old. But as said, as he grows he ain't gonna want to sit back there.

My wife is 5'2", and I would venture to say that there is probably a good 18-20 inches from the back of the rear seat to the back of her front seat. My Super Cab doesn't have any back seats (I ordered it that way), and I just put 4 17" wheels in the box behind the front seats with no problem even behind my seat, and I'm 5'10"

StarLord

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX4
As others have said, the "backseat" is workable, but its really more like a 2 door with some storage back there. I'm 6'2 and I can fit back there, albeit, not very comfortably.

I wanted the 6' bed. I think it was the right choice. The larger bed really makes a difference when your hauling loads of stuff/gear.

Sharky

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger 2015 Ford Focus 1934 model 40
Occupation
retired
I just checked.....passenger seat all the back has 5" from front edge of rear seat (bottom cushion)
to back of front seat.
moved all the way front & the same measuring points is 15".
hope this helps.

OP
OP

csmacomber

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Tacoma
I just checked.....passenger seat all the back has 5" from front edge of rear seat (bottom cushion)
to back of front seat.
moved all the way front & the same measuring points is 15".
hope this helps.
Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. That gives me an idea of what I am looking at in comparison to my current truck.

Robert Elmore

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2019 Lincoln MKZ
Vehicle Showcase
I prefer the extra bed length, so I prefer the SuperCab. If I need backseat room for passengers, I will drive my car. It's very seldom a problem.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I've found that rear legroom is irrelevant to a single person in a SCAB.

Sit sideways and it doesn't matter.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My granddaughter is 9 an she asked me to move the front seat up a little an she's avg size for her age. My 11 hear old grandson didn't complain. since your wife is petite (like my daughter) I assume your kid will fit for 6 years ok. Shaq's kids, probably not.
Sponsored