Supercab Rear Seat Headrest

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Quick update: got my 2019 headrests installed. It seems the notch on the legs is a little smaller than my 2021 version, preventing them from locking in. I'll take a few photos and resize it with a Dremel to let the replacements lock in.

The difference in visibility is staggering, especially without the rear sliding window.
Sponsored

TruckNoob

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Ranger Super Cab 4x4; 2016 Outback
I know this thread is (or perhaps should be) long since dead, but having just driven my new 2021 Scab Lariat home with the wife asking, how come our headrests don't tilt like our 2014 Fusion's did (we traded the Fusion for the Scab)? And me saying, I'm sure they do.....I mean, c'mon, people come in many different shapes and lengths, and we DID buy the tippy-top of the line Ford truck (our first one), and our old Fusion was just an SE. But nope....I pulled the drivers and passengers head rests off, and they are just two metal poles stuck in some foam. You can adjust height, but no tilt. Then I figured I'd pull the back headrests out (since of course they don't tilt either), just so we can see a wee-bit better out of the porthole we call a back window, but nope, they are wedged in tightly against the roof padding. Thanks to this thread, I have some hope that I'll be able to manhandle those out....maybe.

There is much I like about this vehicle, but the crappy headrests (front and back) don't make the list of "likes". I will try again tomorrow and see if I can't persuade the rear ones to come out, and I told the wife I'd look online to see if I could possibly find some "tiltable" ones for the front. No question or anything of the like, I thought I'd just vent, and perhaps warn others that the days of tilting headrests with Ford, appear to be gone -- at least they are for me. :frown:

slm

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Supercab (on order)
I have a 2021 supercab on order...what a drag the newer trucks don't have the mechanism, I would have done the dowel mod to make it work.

This is yet another change that's been silently made by Ford that really seems to be a cost cutting measure (same as omitting 2 tie downs, the wiper defrost removal...) and nothing else.
In my opinion, it's the small design details like this that often make a product stand out from the rest. To be honest, I had assumed they were foldable and never tried it out when I was test driving the truck.

While I was still shopping though, I was aware of the other changes from being on the forum and I emailed Ford customer service. I basically offered them my honest feedback as a potential customer (aren't companies always looking for this?), and listed the removed features, told them it has been noticed and gave them my opinion on the importance of those features (especially the wiper defrost). I asked customer service to please escalate my email to management, hoping that the people that do look for feedback receive it.

Dsc

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew; 2007 Sport Trac XLT; 1969 Mustang Grande; 2014 HD Sportster 1200T
Occupation
Retired
Hah! My 2020 super cab now has folding headrests! Also makes removal much easier as well!

Everything is there except the button and the trimmed hole in the headrest cover. I removed the headrests, removed the cover, cut a piece of 1/2" wooden dowel rod 1-3/4" long and slid them into their respective holes, reinstalled the cover, reinstalled the headrest into the seat, good to go!

What gets me is that the foam is even cut for the button. I would have paid for the hole and button and not blinked. I just don't get it.

Oh, and the folded headrest's highest part is about even with my tailgate in my rear view mirror.

So, now I have folding headrests with hidden buttons.

Almost forgot, thanks for the pics. Once I saw the springs in the pic, I couldn't stand it and went out and took everything apart.
Just a shoutout to the members who figured this out. My Feb 2020 build had the assembly but no button to fold the rear seat headrests. I thought there might be a trick but after forcing it more than I would like. I gave up and took them out. After reading this followed the above instructions and easily added the buttons.
I used wood dowel from a foam paint brush for the dowel. 1 3/4" long and drilled a center hole 3/16" in one end. Used a plastic plug which fit the 3/16" hole and had about a 5/8" head. Assembled everything then poked a hole though the fabric and pressed in the plug. I doubt this cost me a dollar for both.
I wonder how long the 2020 builds had these assemblies used before it was phased out.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I wonder how long the 2020 builds had these assemblies used before it was phased out.
My 6/2020 build has the internal parts without the button.
Sponsored