First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
Anyone else wish there was a sunroof/moonroof option for our truck? Has anyone installed one yet? Thinking about getting one installed in mine.
I don't miss it. I have prolly had 8 or 10 new cars with sun/moonroofs over the years and rarely used them. But that is just me.......
I've had a couple of convertible sports cars and dropped the top whenever I could though!

coblueberryranger

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Consultant
Vehicle Showcase

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I don't miss it. I have prolly had 8 or 10 new cars with sun/moonroofs over the years and rarely used them. But that is just me.......
I've had a couple of convertible sports cars and dropped the top whenever I could though!
Me neither. I did like the removable top on my Vette but I have no desire for a sunroof especially out here. The last thing I want is MORE sun beating down on me!?

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone else wish there was a sunroof/moonroof option for our truck? Has anyone installed one yet? Thinking about getting one installed in mine.
I like the headroom myself and would rather have the sliding rear window as an extra - but that's just me.

Deleted member 1634

I've always found sun/moonroofs to be a good idea in theory. I like the idea of having one, but like others have said, I doubt I'd use it often enough to make it worth while. I think the only thing I'd use it for is venting on hot days. And we get maybe a dozen of those a year realistically. haha I think I've been lucky to have been forced into non-moonroof vehicles the last few times, otherwise I'm sure I would've spent the extra money for an item I wouldn't have used.

But I'd be interested in seeing a conversion! Definitely make your Ranger extra unique. I'm just always leery of messing with the structural integrity of an existing design. Especially one that wasn't designed to have a moonroof at all. But definitely do whatever makes you happy with your rig!

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

I wouldn't. I have owned multiple cars with sun/moon roofs. Ended up hating every single one because they would develop leaks, and/ or would randomly open themselves and let rain in and these were factory units. Aftermarket sunroofs are much worse. Typically there is little to no additional support structure installed on the after market units like OEM to support the weight of the unit. Who kn ow how they will decide to wire it in if you get a powered unit. I have seen some where they (I'm not kidding here) spliced into accessory power and used band-aids to wrap the wires...

Yes

Fricken Band-aids..

Another thing is after market units tend to leak even more than OEM sunroofs do. because of the differences in tolerances on seals. The steel edge of the hole is rarely rolled over to produce a clean mating surface for the gasket, and they almost certainly won't paint it, which can and will lead to rust. So unless the shop really knows their stuff and cut the hole correctly, seal the metal properly and install a drain system, your truck will take on a lovely mildew smell for 3-4 days after it rains and ruin the headliner, and probably start to rust after a few years.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Sunroofs are the absolute worst vehicle option I've had the misfortune of dealing with. As others have said, I'd rather have a completely removable top.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Honestly over the years I've seen problems with sunroofs including the Ford I'm glad there's no sunroof on the Ranger. Also there isn't exactly mushroom to begin with for 1

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want one for myself, but there should be an option for those who do. What irks me is that Ford (and other companies) often put a sun/moon roof on the higher-end trims of their vehicles, meaning that in order to get the cool stereo system or added power you really want, you have to buy the hole in the roof as well!
Sponsored