No Sunroof on 2022?

GatorBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I love my '19 Ranger Lariat but it has no sunroof. I live in Florida where the weather is great and am constantly wishing I had a sunroof. My next vehicle, Ranger or not, will definitely have one.
Just saw the new Maverick and it will have that option. What's up with that?
Come on Ford make a sunroof standard on the Lariat or at least optional on the 2022 Ranger! Please!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I wouldn't mind if they made it optional and didn't force it upon you with certain packages. The last thing I want here is more sun beating down on me. Besides most are destine to leak and have issues down the road but I can see the appeal for some.

HDA

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Shadow Black
Occupation
Travel X-ray Tech
Ford doesn't make them right, the f-150 sunroofs have a horrible track record with leaks. And I believe it takes away from head room space but I'm not 100% about that.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I had factory sun roofs in many of the Fords I have owned over the years. Inevitably they all leak like Dave said. There is nothing worse than soggy seats and shorted console switches. Iā€™m kinda liking not dealing with that for the amount of use I use to get out of the ones I did have. At most a few times a year.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
If anybody is listening PLEASE don't make it a part of any trim level. Standalone option please!

Out of the many sunroofed cars (they're actually moonroofs now) I've had the last 3 were because they came with my desired trim level.

Added complexity, weight where you don't want it, loss of headroom, there's literally nothing to gain from them.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
One of the reasons I bought the Ranger over the Tacoma was the fact that I could get the Lariat with the 501A package and not be forced to also get a sunroof unlike the Tacoma. Every vehicle I have owned that had one ultimately developed a leak. So it's one less thing for me to worry about long term. Now would it be nice if it were an option for those who want one? Sure..

As for the Maverick having one. That truck is targeted to a different demographic than the Ranger and the focus groups likely came out and stated that was an option they wanted in larger numbers than what the Ranger received. Plus the Ranger was designed by the AU truck team and from my understanding cars with Sunroofs are no where near as popular there as they are elsewhere. So that may be another reason for the Ranger not having one on this body design.

WhyNot21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4 Screw 501A ...
Occupation
EE
This is funny. On another forum I'm on, they're complaining about how useless they are, but are standard equipment.

I really miss not having one. This is my first new vehicle in over 35 years without one. None of my previous vehicles ever had a leak issue, but none were Fords. Does Ford have a bad rep with them?

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Sunroofs or Moonroofs or whatever are all designed exactly the same from every auto manufacturer, most likely made by a handful of companies and bought by the auto makers (a roof is pretty much a roof). They all have a water management system (aka gutter with 4 hoses on each corner running down through the body work) and it gets clogged up and needs serviced. Guess what, nobody wants to go pay $400 or more to have a sunroof serviced so they deal with the leaks.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
This is funny. On another forum I'm on, they're complaining about how useless they are, but are standard equipment.

I really miss not having one. This is my first new vehicle in over 35 years without one. None of my previous vehicles ever had a leak issue, but none were Fords. Does Ford have a bad rep with them?
I've had 2 Ford's with sunroofs. They never leaked. But were seriously useless.

A lot of them have drain tubes that can clog up in dirty environments. People often mistake this as leaking.

Last edited:

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I've had 2 Ford's with sunroofs. They never leaked. But were seriously useless.

Alot of them have drain tubes that can clog up in dirty environments. People often mistake this as leaking.
Both of my VW's leaked and it was due to a piss poor design for the drain tube connection at the track assembly. VW in their infinite wisdom decided that it was better to use a larger tube to connect to the roof drains then slip the actual drain tubes inside the larger tube and seal it with what looked to be plumbers putty. This putty would degrade over time and would leak. The fix while simple in nature was to rip out the old tubes and replace with simple vinyl hoses and worm clamps. Doing so however was a total pain to do because you had to pull the headliner along with the A, B, and C pillar trim ultimately nearly stripping the car interior in the process to do it.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Both of my VW's leaked and it was due to a piss poor design for the drain tube connection at the track assembly. VW in their infinite wisdom decided that it was better to use a larger tube to connect to the roof drains then slip the actual drain tubes inside the larger tube and seal it with what looked to be plumbers putty. This putty would degrade over time and would leak. The fix while simple in nature was to rip out the old tubes and replace with simple vinyl hoses and worm clamps. Doing so however was a total pain to do because you had to pull the headliner along with the A, B, and C pillar trim ultimately nearly stripping the car interior in the process to do it.
German Engineering!

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Yea - the Ranger is the first Ford I have had in a long time without a moonroof. My last truck was a 2017 F-150 with the pano roof. Used it a few times, my grandson loved it, and never had a problem with it leaking, and for that matter never had problems with leaks on any of the previous trucks with moonroofs. A couple times a year I would clean the tracks, lube them and treat the rubber with silicone paste. Honestly - I don't miss the moonroof.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I too had a VW Bug w/sunroof. No seals just a drain system. Didnt drain off fast enough for monsoon rains that we used to get.

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜02 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew
Occupation
Designer/Draftsman
Iā€™d love see see a sunroof a stand-alone option on the next gen Ranger!!!

I live in NC and have a sunroof on my ā€˜02 F-150 SuperCrew which I used the majority of the year until two years ago when the plastic track gave up the ghost. I got it to close and havenā€™t used it since. Thankfully to this day it has never leaked once. With a mile and a half work commute, I prefer using the sunroof and windows to cool off over the A/C, since Iā€™m already home before even the best A/C would cool me down.

It would definitely be an option Iā€™d miss! But I 100% agree with othersā€¦. A stand-alone option only (not part of a package)
Sponsored