First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
So a few months back I chopped and hacked my factory exhaust up in order to have a little more clearance as well as get rid of the pipe hanging out the back of the truck. Not that it looks bad. I mean most every vehicle has exhaust hanging out somewhere but my preference is to have it hidden.
So anyway, I welded in a magnaflow muffler with turn down and it was a smidge too loud. Welded the factory resonator in there and sounded pretty legit. I would have been perfectly happy with it for the duration of owning my ranger except I stumbled upon this freaking beautiful exhaust made here in the USA by SPD Performance.
My package was delivered last Thursday and despite having strep throat thanks to my kid I still went out and installed it.
So after a week of driving around I can say that I am very happy with it. Itā€™s freaking gorgeous even if no one will ever see it. It sounds great. In between the resonator and magnaflow and just the magnaflow without resonator as far as noise level. However, it is deeper and sounds way better at wide open throttle. I really dig the 2 tips as it is just a bit of cool factor for me I guess.
All the hardware was there and beefy. No complaints at all with anything except - the front pipe that mates to the factory downpipe is the exact same diameter, both inner and outer, as the downpipe. So it needed to be modified to slip over the factory pipe. Then there is a small locating tab on top of the downpipe that also wasnā€™t accounted for. No big deal really and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.
Overall I am super happy with the exhaust. It sounds great and looks fantastic even if it wonā€™t be seen by anyone.
Here are some terrible phone pics of my filthy truck but you get the idea.
1E77EF72-9C25-4DF1-9265-E4AB560DDF5F.jpeg
88E76D6C-CE6D-47F3-8C66-DD1BF82111EE.jpeg
2FA622C6-C142-4810-885B-DE1AA0C66EAD.jpeg
E7737EF8-2D22-4035-989D-6F628D53C5FD.jpeg
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
They will still pass you on emissions with that setup where you are? I know where I am first they would laugh, then point to the door! ?

OP
OP
Chattownranger

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Haha. Donā€™t even get me started on emissions testing! But yes this is kosher. As long as it passes the cil test meaning they work, gas cap pressure and passes the obd-II test on equipped cars nothing else is looked at. Older vehicles get visual plus sniffer test. I live in Chattanooga and they have been trying to abolish the test for about 2 years now.

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Haha. Donā€™t even get me started on emissions testing! But yes this is kosher. As long as it passes the cil test meaning they work, gas cap pressure and passes the obd-II test on equipped cars nothing else is looked at. Older vehicles get visual plus sniffer test. I live in Chattanooga and they have been trying to abolish the test for about 2 years now.
Well if anything you dont have to worry about the gas cap!!

OP
OP
Chattownranger

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Iā€™ve had lots of old janky cars and done engine swaps and such and it is always such a pain to get emissions testing done on anything not new. My last was a diesel swap in an ā€˜84 Toyota pick up and that was an emissions nightmare. I ended up selling it and using that to fund parts for the ranger lol. It was my daily truck though for a few months and was pretty sweet really.

OP
OP
Chattownranger

Chattownranger

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
I realized just now that I never really took many pictures of it lol. But hereā€™s a few. It was for sure a labor of love. Swapped a Mercedes om617 in her.
77512A0E-C5FF-430C-95AF-2C9EE6B15111.jpeg
2DF1870B-EF29-4B16-9409-068864CA798E.jpeg

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I live in one of the 5 or 7 e check counties in Ohio...I found out from "a guy" that stripped all the emissions stuff off his modified diesel trucks that you can just pay the extra $75 for a commercial plate an no emission testing is required for comm vehicles
Sponsored