SOLVED: Can't get the back of the rear seat to lock upright

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I love the internet! This thread helped me get my seat to latch after installing a JL Audio 8" subwoofer behind the right rear passenger's seat. Removing the three rubber stoppers gave me just enough room for the seat to latch.
Sponsored

sapdhn

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
retired
***6/4/2019 Update*** TSB: 19-2146 - 2019 Ranger - Crew Cab - Folding Rear Seat Back Excessive Latch Effort When Return...

Anyone else have this problem? The latch seems to function o.k. when I engage it with my finger when the seat back is pushed forward. However, I just get a metal on metal sound when I try to latch it back upright. There is a rubber piece next to the latch that seems like it's there to dampen the impact of the latch hitting the catch attached to the rear panel, but it seem like it's not giving way / flexing enough to let the latch spring around the catch. I've tried to slam it pretty hard and I just get a metal thud.
doesn't lock from drive side . if a go to the passager side and push hard on the back it locks .... have to push hard .... but it locks ..

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
My solution to fix this was simple......

Sit in the passenger side seat.

Maybe it was my 245 lb. fat a$$ that helped latch it.

Craig

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
***6/4/2019 Update*** TSB: 19-2146 - 2019 Ranger - Crew Cab - Folding Rear Seat Back Excessive Latch Effort When Return...

Anyone else have this problem? The latch seems to function o.k. when I engage it with my finger when the seat back is pushed forward. However, I just get a metal on metal sound when I try to latch it back upright. There is a rubber piece next to the latch that seems like it's there to dampen the impact of the latch hitting the catch attached to the rear panel, but it seem like it's not giving way / flexing enough to let the latch spring around the catch. I've tried to slam it pretty hard and I just get a metal thud.
I have found that if you put your hand on the other side of the seat over where the latch is is locks

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
Craig touched on the correct way to latch the back seat. The seat back is a bit flimsy. To latch the back seat it can only be done from the passengers side. Tilt the seat forward and note where the latch is and then as you tilt back upright place your right palm directly over the latch and push back on the seat - Don't slam just use firm pressure and it will latch every time. Your hand placement is the key.
Tonight I was checking out how the rear seats work and I couldn't get the back rest part of the seat to latch. Then I came in and found this thread and I tried as you described and it worked perfectly! I didn't have to push hard. Thank you!

Dairychuk

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford ranger
i slam that hecker as hard as I can and she latches..... wait

is that not normal? :LOL:

SSingh1975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
['21 Ford Ranger XLT (Tremor) , BMW IX Electric
Reviving this thread. I ran into the same issue and no far, slamming, putting the hand in the middle and genting pushing hasn't latched the rear seat at all.

I can probably try trimming the rubber inserts or removing these. Does anyone know what torx bit I need for this?

Called and made a appointment at Ford next tue .. Cheers lads!
1680116793465.png
Sponsored