First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 xlt ranger 62 galaxie
Occupation
Truck driver
I am seriously considering adding one of these to my truck later on this year instead of a tonneau cover. I have a couple of questions that i didn't see in the thread. I see it uses snaps to hold the sides. How are they holding up and are they difficult to use in the cold? And how is the back flap over the tailgate secured? I see it overhangs the tailgate. Any issues with it rubbing or damaging the paint there? And lastly, when it is folded, does it flap or rub on the cab or window? Thanks for any info you can pass along.

BHunted

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2019 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I wouldn't mind a soft topper, but I'd want my tonneau cover too. Canvas is easy to cut through. Combined with my retractable cover would be nice. Cover would keep things secure.

glh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 supercab, 2019 Ford Edge ST
I am seriously considering adding one of these to my truck later on this year instead of a tonneau cover. I have a couple of questions that i didn't see in the thread. I see it uses snaps to hold the sides. How are they holding up and are they difficult to use in the cold? And how is the back flap over the tailgate secured? I see it overhangs the tailgate. Any issues with it rubbing or damaging the paint there? And lastly, when it is folded, does it flap or rub on the cab or window? Thanks for any info you can pass along.
I had my first softopper for 8 years with zero issues with anything. Changed trucks tjats why I no longer have. The snaps are a little difficult in cold weather but you pull down a little on the top and you can snap. The rear is secured with a bar that goes across the rear, snaps in a holder on each side. I have not had any issues with the rear rubbing the paint.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Thank you very much for the information glh!

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
The sides are holding well, no issues there. The rear flap is held in place by Velcro strips, no issues there either. It doesn't rub or flap. The forward section is held by three (3) snaps and Velcro strips. I had this installed before the winter weather season set in. Layers of ice and snow didn't hamper it's use.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Thank you Idr01rl. This is why i am looking into getting one. Mostly for the extra room vs a tonneau to keep things dry in winter weather conditions on camp/ hunting trips. Plus the ability to fold out of the way when not needed.

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you Idr01rl. This is why i am looking into getting one. Mostly for the extra room vs a tonneau to keep things dry in winter weather conditions on camp/ hunting trips. Plus the ability to fold out of the way when not needed.
Yes it will give you that room you need. I suggest a bed slide option too. As far as a rack over it, the problem I ran into was the width of racks or hieght of them. To be functional with the Softtopper, the rack needs to be wider than the topper or higher than the highest point when retracting. I'll be doing some tweaking to my setup. I'm also adding expanded metal and cross bracing up front, above the cab to accommodate outlander items. This leaves the bed clear for everyday uses.

XLT and me

First Name
michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Truck driver
Good to know! Thanks again for the information. Looks like this will work great for my uses. And it's actually not that much more expensive than a good quality tonneau. I showed my wife these and she said it would make my ranger "look like an old man truck" I said " oh sweetie, um, ahh, i am an old man now! " ha ha! Thanks again for the replies!

DrdPrtRlf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase

overland_dog

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Looks like it would fit over the ranger with those height options. I wonder if those side plates are removable so you could still access the bed from the sides of the topper
I’m not sure how structural they are, I’d probably keep them on IMO. At the very least you could raise/lower them as high/low as possible to get in the canopy.