First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F150, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Recently added a Softopper to my Ranger. Love the top so far, but am concerned about the lack of third brake light. I realize this probably isn't that big of an issue, but I'd hate to be a victim of someone texting and not able to recognize my brake lights, or a LEO having a bad day, so figured this was an easy solution.

I ordered an inexpensive red LED light strip from Amazon that comes with 3M adhesive tape attached. These lights seem to be good quality, weather resistant, are bright, and have low power consumption (I measured 34mA at 12.8V).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GRO844G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Next I had to figure out where to tap into for a clean brake light signal. The Ford Body Builder guide shows a tap in the fuse/relay panel in the driver's side footwell, but I didn't see a clean and easy wire path there, so I started looking into the tail light harnesses to see if there was a good tap. The LED tailights on my XLT have individual signals for the brakes, tails, and turns, so that looked like a good source. Pin 2 is a dedicated brake signal that is 12V, so that should work! This is the driver's side tail light.

20200318_213404.jpg

Here's the harness disconnected from the taillight. The wire you want is the red one, at least on my truck. I used a simple wire tap. I'm not a huge fan of these, but it was easier than disassembling the harness to get a cleaner splice, so we'll see how it holds up.

20200316_224147-COLLAGE.jpg

I placed the light itself in the center on the rear flap. It seems to stick pretty good to the canvas. I ran the wire along the rail and over to near the tail light area. There is a hole in the bed under the rail that is good access to behind the tail light, so that worked perfectly.

20200318_201114.jpg

20200318_200258.jpg

I used a waterproof connector here so that I can quickly disconnect if I ever want to remove or fold the topper.

20200318_200324.jpg

And here's the finished product. No rapid flashing lights, or flashing with turn signals. Seems to work well.

20200318_213148.gif
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
BcP28

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
No issues yet. It's pretty well protected behind the taillight and seems to be holding up pretty well.

CoolMoose

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Software Engineer
How did you ground the LED strip? Did you tap that as well? Thanks!

OP
OP
BcP28

BcP28

First Name
Bennett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
How did you ground the LED strip? Did you tap that as well? Thanks!
Haha it's been long enough now that I'll have to go and look to remember what I did! :LOL: I'm pretty sure I just grounded to chassis. There should be a bolt somewhere behind the taillight I used. I'll pop the tail light out this evening and confirm.

Nopalito

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Cactus Grey XLT
Occupation
Emergency Manager
I plan on doing this when I get my softtopper. Thanks for writing this up!

CoolMoose

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Software Engineer
I plan on doing this when I get my softtopper. Thanks for writing this up!
FYI - I tapped the ground wire in the same plug shown above. Was last minute before my trip so I couldn't come up with a more 'secure' solution, but it held up to my mild offroading trip!

r2ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Recently added a Softopper to my Ranger. Love the top so far, but am concerned about the lack of third brake light. I realize this probably isn't that big of an issue, but I'd hate to be a victim of someone texting and not able to recognize my brake lights, or a LEO having a bad day, so figured this was an easy solution.

I ordered an inexpensive red LED light strip from Amazon that comes with 3M adhesive tape attached. These lights seem to be good quality, weather resistant, are bright, and have low power consumption (I measured 34mA at 12.8V).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GRO844G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Next I had to figure out where to tap into for a clean brake light signal. The Ford Body Builder guide shows a tap in the fuse/relay panel in the driver's side footwell, but I didn't see a clean and easy wire path there, so I started looking into the tail light harnesses to see if there was a good tap. The LED tailights on my XLT have individual signals for the brakes, tails, and turns, so that looked like a good source. Pin 2 is a dedicated brake signal that is 12V, so that should work! This is the driver's side tail light.

20200318_213404.jpg

Here's the harness disconnected from the taillight. The wire you want is the red one, at least on my truck. I used a simple wire tap. I'm not a huge fan of these, but it was easier than disassembling the harness to get a cleaner splice, so we'll see how it holds up.

I placed the light itself in the center on the rear flap. It seems to stick pretty good to the canvas. I ran the wire along the rail and over to near the tail light area. There is a hole in the bed under the rail that is good access to behind the tail light, so that worked perfectly.

20200318_201114.jpg

20200318_200258.jpg

I used a waterproof connector here so that I can quickly disconnect if I ever want to remove or fold the topper.

20200318_200324.jpg

And here's the finished product. No rapid flashing lights, or flashing with turn signals. Seems to work well.

20200318_213148.gif
Thanks writing this up! Just ordered my soft top and this is exactly what I needed to figure out how to properly tap in. Just glad Ford kept it simple on the color coding for hot and ground.

ScrappyLaptop

First Name
Scrappy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew 2x4
Occupation
IT
hows that tap holding up?
Those blue crimp-taps really aren't bad for correctly sized solid core wire, sort of like a phone or network punchdown block. Vehicles use stranded though.

A trick I learned years ago from a U-Haul tech in the 90's: The weatherproofing can be very much improved by popping them open and squirting a small blob of dielectric grease in the middle.
Ideally, wrap it in self-sealing tape after.

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
Which one of those wires would you tap if you wanted to add a third brake light with a tailight wire as well? TIA.

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
It would be the running light. The 3rd brake light I'm looking to add on my topper has a brake light wire, a tail light wire and a ground.

Terra Rover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Tremor

20200318_213404.jpg

20200318_201114.jpg

20200318_200258.jpg

20200318_200324.jpg

20200318_213148.gif
Just FYI, this post was exactly what I needed to setup the brake light on my GFC topper. GFC supplies the correct taps for stranded wires. Thanks!

Lcr3000

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
This also works for the third brake light built into a sport/rollbar. The red #2 and the black #10 for ground worked fine for me. No issues.

BladeRanger

First Name
Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

20200318_213404.jpg

20200318_201114.jpg

20200318_200258.jpg

20200318_200324.jpg

20200318_213148.gif
Nice. This is a good idea, thanks for the info. I got a Flated inflatable topper and this could work.

20230604_130742.jpg
Sponsored