First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Anyone have any photos of their Iconic Silver Ranger with a Topper?
Sponsored

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
I recently purchased my Softopper used from @glh (huge shout out btw for labeling the components, made the installation very painless). I've got my unit set up in conjunction with a Decked drawer system. It's a little tight, but for the budget, works very well.

Took it out camping this past weekend to Black Mountain CA. Worked Flawlessly.

ALSO for those using their Softopper as a softshell camper.. Nite-Ize gear line ($17) is an absolute killer piece of kit.

PXL_20210501_012019549.jpg
PXL_20210501_012002340.jpg
PXL_20210502_235544280.jpg

Thatwaspontus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab FX4
Occupation
WTT
We have very similar ideas for our very similar rigs. How much room do you have between the top of the Decked system and the Softopper? Clearly not enough to sit up, but is it uncomfortably claustrophobic? I have a wife and two dogs to squeeze in there as well, so debating building my own set or spending the big bucks on the Decked system, though, not like lumber is cheap at the moment....

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
We have very similar ideas for our very similar rigs. How much room do you have between the top of the Decked system and the Softopper? Clearly not enough to sit up, but is it uncomfortably claustrophobic? I have a wife and two dogs to squeeze in there as well, so debating building my own set or spending the big bucks on the Decked system, though, not like lumber is cheap at the moment....
Hey @Thatwaspontus, I'm 5'8" and I have almost enough room to kneel straight up. I measured the space and it's 26.25" of height. But you'll loose an inch or two for a sleeping pad. The Decked system is NOT comfortable on its own. Two people is absolutely doable, adding in two dogs would be dependent on the size. The only issue you'll run into is storing anything else inside the rear with you while you sleep. But otherwise you should have enough space. Padding is a MUST if you get the decked CoreTrax add-on.

Here is where I got the inspiration:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/decked-w-topper.9602/post-195320

If you want to get creative, you could use the single drawer system and build a folding platform to make a bed for you and the Mrs: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ranger-today.4696/post-179771

Thatwaspontus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCab FX4
Occupation
WTT
Hey @Thatwaspontus, I'm 5'8" and I have almost enough room to kneel straight up. I measured the space and it's 26.25" of height. But you'll loose an inch or two for a sleeping pad. The Decked system is NOT comfortable on its own. Two people is absolutely doable, adding in two dogs would be dependent on the size. The only issue you'll run into is storing anything else inside the rear with you while you sleep. But otherwise you should have enough space. Padding is a MUST if you get the decked CoreTrax add-on.

Here is where I got the inspiration:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/decked-w-topper.9602/post-195320

If you want to get creative, you could use the single drawer system and build a folding platform to make a bed for you and the Mrs: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ranger-today.4696/post-179771

Thanks for the info. I've built sleeping platforms before, in the back of full size rigs. Just hard to visualize with the Decked system, the amount of room it leaves you. Your photos and measurements a big help!

Shaun Harlan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zr2 Colorado
I recently purchased my Softopper used from @glh (huge shout out btw for labeling the components, made the installation very painless). I've got my unit set up in conjunction with a Decked drawer system. It's a little tight, but for the budget, works very well.

Took it out camping this past weekend to Black Mountain CA. Worked Flawlessly.

ALSO for those using their Softopper as a softshell camper.. Nite-Ize gear line ($17) is an absolute killer piece of kit.

PXL_20210501_012019549.jpg
PXL_20210501_012002340.jpg
PXL_20210502_235544280.jpg
Sweet setup. I'm making a 2piece deck to flatten the bottom of the bed (and make it removable) then I'm having a nice foam mattress made. I've got my bed power solution ready to be installed, just need to do it.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Could someone measure the height of their Topper from the base of the side rails to the top of the canopy. I am wondering if my 2011 topper will fit on the new Ranger and how high a bed rack I need.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Ok, I found a truck to measure on, looks like the Topper would be 18".

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
Anyone have any photos of their Iconic Silver Ranger with a Topper?
I just ordered a grey topper for my Ingot Silver Ranger. Right now their website says they are backordered until late August so no idea when it will come, but I'll post a photo once I have it on.
They do have a 10% military discount available on their website. Once I provided my proof of service via email I got a credit to my payment within a few minutes.

silverbullet

First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I just ordered a grey topper for my Ingot Silver Ranger. Right now their website says they are backordered until late August so no idea when it will come, but I'll post a photo once I have it on.
They do have a 10% military discount available on their website. Once I provided my proof of service via email I got a credit to my payment within a few minutes.
Excellent, thanks!

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Got a FEDEX surprise today. My Softopper that I ordered Sunday night and is "backordered until late August" already arrived today! I thought I would have plenty of time to build my deck system before it arrived, so now I need to accelerate my plans. Hopefully I'll have most of the work done and have it installed before next week is over.

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Less than 7 full days from ordering, to installation, I now have a grey Softopper installed on my 2019 Ingot Silver Ranger. I think it's a much better match than the blue fiberglass cap I have on my silver Dodge Dakota.
I haven't built the removable shelf sytem I want yet, mainly because the Softopper got here much quicker than they predicted.
I do have a sliding box that I built years ago for my Dakota, had to cut 2.5" off yesterday so it would fit in the back of the Ranger (Ranger bed is that much shorter than the Dakota Quad Cab bed), and it will hold most of my camping gear and valuable items. I will eventually build a removable shelf that will be used for folding chairs, screen house, etc. Once the shelf is in, anything under it will be protected by the locking tailgate.
Installation took just a little over an hour, I went slow to make sure I didn't muck anything up. I will use the included velcro for the front window and rear flap to help keep them taut while driving.
I think I'm going to like it!

Softopper1.jpg

Softopper2.jpg

Softopper3.jpg

Softopper4.jpg