So, I changed the left blend door motor today.

JohnnyLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Pilot
I have a 2020 Lariat, built in 7/2020. So I lucked out in having the bad style heater box. I have had a ticking sound that actually sounds like it came from behind the speedometer. It only ticked on some days. On the ticking days it would tick with a regular pattern and would decrease over 15 minutes or so and stop. I have had my head under the dash an watched as the blend door motor moved. There would be no sound and it worked perfectly. I saw a video was talking about the blend door hunting and chatering. So this morning when I heard the tick I dove under the dash board and was able to see the blend door chatter.

The videos that show how change the actuator aren't really clear. I just started taking stuff apart. The good news is that it is only four 8mm bolts and 3 screws. Bad news is how hard the screws are to reach.

For the next guy. I drilled a hole like the guy in video. I don't think placement is critical. You put the screwdriver in the hole and using your other hands fingers reach around the back of the structure you drilled a hole and guide the screw driver to the screw.

As bad as it is to unscrew the 3 screws installation is worse. My old blend door actuator was coated in white grease. When I took out the actuator the yellow cam thing came out too. There is only one way to get the cam on to the splined shaft. There is a little finger that rides in track on the cam. I had to set the cam back in place and get the little finger back in its groove before putting the actuator on the cam. It is very hard to see up there and you can really only go by touch.

One of the screws is a piece of cake. As soon as I had it in I put that screw in fast. The other screws took much longer. You are working blind and can only go by what you feel. It was helpful to have the other actuator in front of me as I fished around the back looking for the screw holes.

For the next guy, what I learned....... You need a magnetic probe to fish around and find the screws you drop. I wish I had a magnetic screwdriver to put the screws back. I dipped the screw driver in candle wax and stuck it to the screw for the install. Stuffing rags in the area between the front of the console and fire wall is probably a good idea. The magnetic probe saved the screws, but the yellow cam had me worried for a couple of minutes.

This is an annoying job. I can't say that it is hard and from start to test drive all cleaned up took me less than 3 hours. The part was about $80. My fingertips hurt and my knees are gonna be sore tomorrow, but better than the alternatives. I did not make either of these videos, but thank you to the guys that did.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JohnnyLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Pilot
Oh, yea. One last thing. When I was done I had a few errors. Like ABS and some traction control error. I think it was from tapping the brake pedal so many times with my elbow. The errors went away by themselves on about the 3 start while still in the garage.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have read changing the actuator is only a temp fix since the pressure of the warped airbox causes excessive pressure on them. If it lasts a long enough time it would be worth doing it a few times during ownership vs paying $2K plus

OP
OP

JohnnyLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Pilot
I watched a few videos on other cars. Sometimes the gears break like the guy in the australian video above and sometimes the actuator loses the ability to determine it position. My failed part lost the ability to determine its position and and would chatter. It really wasn't bad and it worked perfectly and after maybe 5 minutes it would stop. It only would happen once in a while, but the it was doing it more and more. I live in florida and summer is coming. I figured I would replace it while it was still kind of cool outside. Definitely not worth 2000 to fix. My bad part was covered in white grease. I think the last owner must have sprayed it. I hope I get a few years out of the replacement.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I come from the Sport Trac world where that is a problem too although they take much longer to break. The problem is that the gears are plastic and eventually they strip. I had to replace the one that directed the air flow.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
I have a 2020 Lariat, built in 7/2020. So I lucked out in having the bad style heater box. I have had a ticking sound that actually sounds like it came from behind the speedometer. It only ticked on some days. On the ticking days it would tick with a regular pattern and would decrease over 15 minutes or so and stop. I have had my head under the dash an watched as the blend door motor moved. There would be no sound and it worked perfectly. I saw a video was talking about the blend door hunting and chatering. So this morning when I heard the tick I dove under the dash board and was able to see the blend door chatter.

The videos that show how change the actuator aren't really clear. I just started taking stuff apart. The good news is that it is only four 8mm bolts and 3 screws. Bad news is how hard the screws are to reach.

For the next guy. I drilled a hole like the guy in video. I don't think placement is critical. You put the screwdriver in the hole and using your other hands fingers reach around the back of the structure you drilled a hole and guide the screw driver to the screw.

As bad as it is to unscrew the 3 screws installation is worse. My old blend door actuator was coated in white grease. When I took out the actuator the yellow cam thing came out too. There is only one way to get the cam on to the splined shaft. There is a little finger that rides in track on the cam. I had to set the cam back in place and get the little finger back in its groove before putting the actuator on the cam. It is very hard to see up there and you can really only go by touch.

One of the screws is a piece of cake. As soon as I had it in I put that screw in fast. The other screws took much longer. You are working blind and can only go by what you feel. It was helpful to have the other actuator in front of me as I fished around the back looking for the screw holes.

For the next guy, what I learned....... You need a magnetic probe to fish around and find the screws you drop. I wish I had a magnetic screwdriver to put the screws back. I dipped the screw driver in candle wax and stuck it to the screw for the install. Stuffing rags in the area between the front of the console and fire wall is probably a good idea. The magnetic probe saved the screws, but the yellow cam had me worried for a couple of minutes.

This is an annoying job. I can't say that it is hard and from start to test drive all cleaned up took me less than 3 hours. The part was about $80. My fingertips hurt and my knees are gonna be sore tomorrow, but better than the alternatives. I did not make either of these videos, but thank you to the guys that did.

Wow! My back, neck, and knees hurt just reading this project description. I'm convinced working under the dash of a vehicle was developed as a type of torture. CIA should use it. Within about 20 minutes the bad guys would give up and tell them anything they wanted to know.

Hats off to you OP.

OP
OP

JohnnyLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Pilot
No way, there is too much stress involved. Once you start the project, you have to finish and putting the new one in is a lot harder than taking the old one out.

armoredpig

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Occupation
Nurse
I did this twice, but the problem returned after a few months. The real problem is the warped assembly, for which there is a revised part. Unfortunately, to get the entire assembly out, it does require the dash to be torn down. The dealer monkeys definitely broke a few things getting to it!

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
I have read changing the actuator is only a temp fix since the pressure of the warped airbox causes excessive pressure on them. If it lasts a long enough time it would be worth doing it a few times during ownership vs paying $2K plus
This is why I'm just doing the manual conversion if it happens to me. Manually switch it in Spring and Winter.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
This is why I'm just doing the manual conversion if it happens to me. Manually switch it in Spring and Winter.
Yeah but in Ohio you need your heat driving to work an the A/C driving home in spring and fall LOL
Sponsored