Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
Project Summary:

Goal: Come up with ways to prevent careless door dingers from damaging your new Ford Ranger.
Solutions: The installation of the STX600 extra wide Running Boards on the 2019 Ford Ranger is sufficient in stopping "most" door dings but constructing an additional ornament tubing with shiny, chrome, acorn nuts below the running boards will add addition ding protection. Acts as the deterrent.

Design Notes:
1. Children and dog owners are safe due to the "blunt" chrome acorn nuts ornaments.
(Using "different" ornaments types eg castle nuts, spike nuts, pike nuts - NOT SO!!!)
2. For vehicle/human safety, ALL hardware on the vehicle running boards are secure due to proper
fastener torqueing and "blue" Loctite thread locker on all fasteners.
3. All custom made hardware brackets are made of heavy 3/16" A36 steel welded together and painted for corrosion protection.
4. All fastener hardware is Grade (304) 18-8 stainless steel for corrosion protection.
5. The ornament perforated square tubes are made of 6061 T6 Aluminum (corrosion resistant) painted black to match the Ranger's running boards.
6. The ornament perforated square tubes, for ding protection, will pickup most low center of gravity vehicles"
but WILL NOT pickup vehicles of equal or greater center of gravity or height to that of the 2019 Ford Ranger. The new 2019 Ford Ranger is built higher than the 2011 previous model series which makes it easy to protect from cars and even newer SUVs.
7. Cost of STX600 running boards ~ $200-$250 plus ~ $150-$175 for the ornament perforated square tubes and hardware.
8. Just only using the "proper width" on rock sliders, side steps, running boards and nerf bars "alone" should/could be all you need to protect your Ranger from the careless door dingers.

Future project enhancements:
This design makes it very possible to easily add 12 VDC linear actuators with an RF controller - the inward and outward position of the ornament bar with acorn nuts will be controlled by an remote RF key fob.

This has been a very fun DIY project for the new 2019 Ford Ranger.

END OF PROJECT - by DIYAndy 9/9/2019 17:05
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Picture 7 - ornament bar 1 inch out

One_inch_out_1.JPG

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Picture 8 - Again, ornament bar 1 inch out

One_inch_out_2.JPG

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a picture "close up" of several motorcycle, blunt, shiny, chrome, high crown, acorn nuts for door ding protection.
My next door neighbor commented that "the shiny chrome acorn nuts really looks pretty nice on the Ranger!" Funny, if it wasn't for the fact that this addition is the "only" chrome addition on the XL Ranger next the Ford's logos front and tailgate back.:giggle:
Also, there is plenty of room to add additional chrome (45 more ornaments each side) but you will probably need to obtain a bank loan first;)

Shiny_Acorn_Nuts.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
BTW- I forgot to include the vendors for this DIY door ding protection/payback project.

Special Hardware Vendors for Ornament Bar/Tubing:
Disclaimer: The following vendors are NOT an endorsement for this project materials - there are always other suppliers out there.

2 60" perforated square tubing with predrilled 5/16" holes - 6061 T6 Aluminum painted black - Flex-craft.com
Special motorcycle 5/16-18 chrome, high crown, acorn nuts. Qty. 30 - $1 ea. <--- very good buy!
Part #: 275723 Drag Specialties Chrome Acorn Nut 5/16"-18 - DS-190855 - DennisKirk.com
5/16-18 stainless steel hardware fasteners for ornament bar - BoltDepot.com
4 12" 5/16-18 threaded rods/springs - Home Depot or Lowe's
3/16" thick A36 steel plates, angles, pipe (3/8" ID or greater x 5/8" OD) for brackets - MetalsDepot.com or MetalsSuperMarkets.com
:sunglasses:

Last edited:

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x2, 2012 MINI Cooper S, 2012 Toyota RAV4
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I can imagine what would happen if you stepped on the middle of that thing.
First of all, immediately call the EMS for help:( It was not designed for someone to step on it.;)
It was designed to act as a door ding deterrent and was designed to look pretty on the Ranger.;)

Some options:
1. Push the ornament bar back in the "normal position" within +- 2" of the running boards.;)
The running boards are 6.5" and add ~2" and you will have sufficient door ding protection.
2. Build a few more steel support brackets for the "Mad Max" mode. (waste of money)
3. Change the aluminum square tubing to steel tubing but you will have severe rust problems due to the fact it is very hard to paint perforated steel metal and not have it rust:wink:
4. Replace the hollow tubing with a solid steel square bar and predrill your holes. (will cost more) ;)

Last edited:

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose, though, if Bubba (no offense intended for any Ranger5G members or visitors named Bubba :D) jams one of his shins on it, I don't think he will think to himself, "I'm not supposed to step on that".

I feel your pain, though, about door dings. Keep thinking outside the box. :)

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I suppose, though, if Bubba (no offense intended for any Ranger5G members or visitors named Bubba :D) jams one of his shins on it, I don't think he will think to himself, "I'm not supposed to step on that".
Like I said "move the ornament tube back closer to the running boards and there will be no problems!";)
The running boards were designed to be stepped on and this ornament tubing was not BUT it can be redesigned to be stepped on if necessary. Also, from your logic, if you know that doing something that you know is wrong causes problems - then don't do it.;) I did not design this ding protector for stupid bubbas;)

Last edited:

Ranger #6

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Aircraft Stress Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Like I said "move the ornament tube back closer to the running boards and there will be no problems!";)
The running boards were designed to be stepped on and this ornament tubing was not BUT it can be redesigned to be stepped on if necessary. Also, from your logic, if you know that doing something that you know is wrong causes problems - then don't do it.;) I did not design this ding protector for stupid bubbas;)
A "smart ticked-off Bubba" scenario should be one of your design cases. Moving it back closer to the running boards will reduce the bolt-bending loads somewhat (not much of a consolation, because bolts are not intended to take bending like that), but the "crown nut bar" is still exposed and unsupported at the middle. You have a simply-supported beam with low EI and a relatively huge L. Of course, a "dumb ticked-off Bubba" will simply reach for his keys.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
A "smart ticked-off Bubba" scenario should be one of your design cases.
Yup, since your credentials are of an engineer you could totally redesigned this project to your liking;)
I cannot and will not re-design this project against crazy bubbas with keys.;)

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This little smart car is parked almost 3ft away, and it's door is going to get you about 2.5ft up your door.
It's a chance that I am willing to take.;)
I cannot design a Ford Ranger door ding protection for all vehicles.;)

Whoa - the Monday morning quarterbacks, trolls and pseudo engineers all come out after this "end of this DIY project! :giggle:

BTW … I won't have to deal with the smart car anymore because they won't make them anymore!:giggle:
https://gearjunkie.com/smart-car-mercedes-benz-leaves-north-america

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
its simply stating a fact. One of which you've had blinders on through your whole build.
I've noted, reading through this thread, anytime someone offers criticism, you attack them.
I am protecting my thread from the trolls. Of course, if you have something or a DIY project that you want to contribute to this forum - go for it!;)

Some advice, from users I took note of but there were so many pieces of bad and dumb advice that I had to totally disregard most of them. For instance, one user said to use the NASTY "red Loctite thread locker on the acorn nuts" knowingly full well that it would take high heat for five minutes to remove the acorn nuts. I suggested only to use the blue Loctite thread locker in which normal hand tools can remove! (ref: #5 - page 1) Another instance, "A "smart ticked-off Bubba" scenario should be one of your design cases" (ref: #71 - page 5) :question: Another instance, a user, went as far to show a picture of a "smart car" hitting another vehicle" - guess what? The manufacturer will not be making them anymore for the USA. (Ref: #73 page 5 by Ranger Pride) https://gearjunkie.com/smart-car-mercedes-benz-leaves-north-america

:facepalm::headbang::headbang::headbang:

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Enjoy your mad max vehicle.
My ornament distance adjustment is for the "normal mode - 1 or 2 inches out from the running boards" not the extreme "Mad Max mode".;) I prefer to call my 2019 Ford Ranger XL "The lightning blue LONE RANGER of the parking lot.":sunglasses:

Very tacky indeed Ranger Pride - "someones a few steps short of the top floor";)

BTW I will make sure that I will never drive my Ford Ranger in Vancouver, Canada and be hit or dinged by a "smart car";)

Last edited:

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
American ingenuity, I just thought of another use for your thingy. Hang your laundry on posts to dry. Tie ribbons on the posts so no one will miss seeing you. Keep on keeping on. :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.