Snowmageddon in Texas

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
It was 65F and sunny yesturday in CA. :) :) :)
Meh, we're back up to mid 50's today, mid 40's for the low tonight and mid 60's for highs the next 4 days. Back to real life in Texas..........for February at least!
Sponsored

2020FRL

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
Kerrville is where I live also and we will go straight to spring next week and it will be her turn again.......

I'm sure ... but one makes hay when the sun shines. I can't complain, we've had 2 snows this winter, 6" and a dusting. The dusting was the worst because it rained, froze, then dusted and it stayed cold for 24 hrs. The 6" was gone by noon.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Texans? I don’t think it’s a Texas thing.

Everyone here, and in any city where I’ve lived, has their garage packed to the trusses with a variety of items, including bicycles, garden tools, street hockey nets, boxes, Rubbermaid totes, a lawnmower, cheap plastic stacking shelves, recycling and garbage bins, cases of “empties”, winter tires, and for some, a snowblower.

Okay, maybe the “empties” is a Canadian thing.
I'm am totally the exception to the rule in my neighborhood.

My three car garage has 3 cars in it. The Jeep gets relagated to the driveway.

The ones that really get me are the folks with a garage full of shit, an empty driveway, and their cars in the street.

Really funny during hail season.

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
Enjoy, you'll have far less chances to do that than our chances to sit back and eat popcorn when y'all complain about how hot 85 degrees is in July. You're no more accustomed to heat than we are the cold. BTW, many Texans travel to Colorado and other cold climates for ski trips. It's just unusual to see these temps and weather in our own backyards. We're also not equipped, as a State, to deal with it. No ice trucks, salt, plows, shovels and most of our pipes are in the attic, etc.
My wife grew up in Canyon Lake TX, in-laws I visit live in Texas and Arizona. I have lived for over a year in TN, FL, and half a year each in P.R. , Sicily, and Iceland. I don't only know one climate. Relax, not trying to offend.

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
Well, I've rolled up my extension cords, cleared the carb on my generator and added Stabil, and replaced a hot water heater that sprung a small leak when it hit 7 degrees.

Honestly, I wonder how hard it would be for Ford to do a 5-7k generator kit on the future Rangers..I think the 2.3 would handle it no worries since I have a Cat RP12000e generator that uses a 670cc v-twin engine...I know that a PTO would be able to pull a significant portion of power off the idling engine that could out-perform that 670cc engine.

I know that there is less real estate under the chassis of the Ranger but I think we could fit it. My Ranger can allegedly fit up to 1860 lbs in my cargo bed. How much can 360 lbs of battery give in back up capacity? That leaves 1500 lbs for load in the bed...I'm sure that the truck could actually build on that capacity.

Hopefully Ford will do this for the Ranger...in about 5 or 6 years...when I will be needing to trade mine in...OR...even better...they do this for the Bronco...when my wife's Civic is ready to trade in...about 3 years from now :D

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
maybe covid has affected the environment in such a way, that keeping people home has reduced pollution and greenhouse gasses, and therefore global warming has been eliminated.

Yay...something good has come from covid.

Greta...any comments??
Global Warming
It’s Climate Change! Haven’t you been watching CNN? That’s what we call it here in Kalifornia....at least now I have a Ranger for wildfire bug out purposes! Best of luck with the snow Texas Ranger brethren!
Not to be a huge nerd or anything but this is caused by something called Sudden Stratospheric Warming (SSW) and was predicted weeks ago. SSWs occur every couple of years when the temperature rises in the Artic and messes with the jet stream, causing Arctic air to be pushed south in some areas. They're not caused by climate change, but climate change does seem to be spicing them up a bit.

From climate.gov:
Sudden Stratospheric Warmings (SSWs) are occasions in the winter (~6 times per decade), when the polar stratosphere warms and the winds that normally flow from west to east around the pole weaken dramatically and even reverse direction, corresponding to a breakdown of the polar vortex.
Record-breaking hot temperatures are outnumbering record-breaking cold temperatures 2 to 1, with some of the record colds being a result of the record hots.

It's easy for people to experience cold weather and see it as the opposite of climate change. But these issues are never that simple. In my experience, the simplest or most obvious explanations are nearly always the wrong explanations. But most people don't want to look past the face of the issue or do work if it means it might lead to bad news or more work. It's easy to just ignore issues when it's not their crops drying up, and not the ocean flooding their cities. The stupid thing is that others have already done the work to the benefit of everyone else, but so many of us throw it out because we can't handle the bad news, let alone change. Ignorance is bliss. Until the problem comes knocking at your front door, anyway.

I'm betting Greta has a lot to say on this but you wouldn't want to hear it.

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Agreed, we can't rely on any single source of energy, green or not.

the environmentalists need to understand the detrimental effect of leaving all these flammable liquids etc in the earths crust.

its like holding your farts in. the earth feels the cramps, it feels the pain. it doesn't like it.

it must be removed otherwise the massive explosion down the road will surely destroy all the wind turbines and solar fields. there wont be a single flat piece of earth left for them to build on, let alone survive on.

thank god we have clean methods to burn these offending fuels away to save us. gone are the days of tossing chunks of coal into your fireplace and turning the neighborhood into a black cloud of death.

and to all you assholes rolling coal cuz you think you're cool, you're doing absolutely nothing to help with the matter. the environmentalists win because of your ignorant inbred stupidity.
You may want to look into how these are extracted from the earth. It's definitely not like a fart building up and trying to escape. It's more like someone jabbing you with syringes and forcing fluids inside in attempt force farts out. And the fart doesn't just come cleanly out. It's not a natural pressure being relieved. It's literally pressure being created to push gas out except it also It gets pushed into water supplies and other places where pressure shouldn't be.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
You may want to look into how these are extracted from the earth. It's definitely not like a fart building up and trying to escape. It's more like someone jabbing you with syringes and forcing fluids inside in attempt force farts out. And the fart doesn't just come cleanly out. It's not a natural pressure being relieved. It's literally pressure being created to push gas out except it also It gets pushed into water supplies and other places where pressure shouldn't be.
I"m thinking Ranger Pride was exercising his "snark/sarcasm" muscles in the noted quote there...
At least I'm hoping I'm reading him right!

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
i was being sarcastic on the farts, and i do understand how fracking works
Went over my head I guess. But even so, it's good for people to know this crap I suppose

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation

Fun stuff

OP
OP

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
You know...I was really hoping this would stay kinda not political...I was talking about how the weather was here in Texas...and how my Ranger was dealing with it.

Lets run this down though...since you brought it up. I live in Texas. I deal with pipelines here. Hell I am part of the group that inspects them. Did you know that as you get closer to the point of where NG is "harvested" there is much moisture in that gas? (fyi...in the industry its called multi-phase) and that moisture is generally water. what does water do in the cold? freezes. yeah it can do that in the pipelines too. some folks actually had their NG home feeds frozen. now...here is a really big question...according to NOAA when was the last time we had weather this bad in Texas? 1899. it hit -23 F (-32 c or thereabouts for those living outside of the US or parts of the UK) and back then there wasn't near the infrastructure we had...stuff that was built more for dealing with heat rather than cold. Even up in the great Panhandle of Texas where it gets friggin' cold (for us poor Texicans at least). Plus...the fella that is going on and on about how we use primarily COAL and gas...seems to miss that one graph there saying that NG is the primary, and coal is third after the renewables....frankly, this video is mostly snark and really don't appreciate it in the thread I started which again deals with my Ranger and others who were here in Texas dealing with this. This, again, is Texas. Do you understand how business works? I do. Do you want a company to go and prepare for an event that may not ever happen? How do you pay for that event that never happens? Say I go to my company and ask them to prepare for a flood that I think may occur in the next 25 years...a flood that will destroy all our inspection equipment unless we build a facility that can withstand 20 ft (about 7 meters) of water? Why they ask? Do you have proof it will happen? No...just a guess...a forcast. They will say no. DO you...a software engineer, understands what actually has to go into winterizing a power generating station? I know you can search on the web for things...but do you really know? Been at an electrical generating station and seen what all pipes are required to insulate and ensure that they remain able to flow EVERYTHING? My wife works for Shell. She told me today that our refineries in Deer Park lost 3 days of production due to the weather. I won't even get into that. There are MILES...KILOMETERS...of pipe there that would need insulation. I see you are from Canada. Most folks I know in Canada are quite nice. They are mostly in and around Oakville and Calgary. Some left for, mostly, political reasons. Won't say more. Why? Because it ain't about trucks sir. That vid...aint' about trucks. Please leave it out of this forum okay?

Apologies to the mods...
TL,DR - This is a RANGER FORUM....LETS TALK ABOUT RANGERS AND TRUCKS AND SUCH.

BR,
D

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger Ë‹19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
You know...I was really hoping this would stay kinda not political...

[…]
u should have expect this... on themes like this... in times likes this...