First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I'm surprised you didn't get solar Phil? It was well worth the investment especially with the tax credits. I own my system and the ROI was expected to be about 8 years. But with the never ending increases from APS ( they don't effect me) I figure 6.5 years now. My electricity costs are about .55/day.

IMG_3668.jpg

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
frankly, this video is mostly snark
Given all the high profile nonsense and literal yelling about how wind and solar are to blame for failing Texas, I think a little snark is appropriate. Seems pretty timid in comparison, no?

Do you understand how business works? I do. Do you want a company to go and prepare for an event that may not ever happen?
Yes and yes.

How do you pay for that event that never happens?
The same way you pay for an event that does happen. Sounds like the recommendations and warnings were there early enough that it would not have been a big deal to pay for. You're talking like it would have cost an arm and a leg to meet 'par' for the rest of the country. How do they pay for it?

Do you have proof it will happen? No...just a guess...a forcast.
Starting to think you didn't see the video. Think there were 350 pages of recommendations to prepare for this specific type of event and that it was basically expected to happen.

DO you...a software engineer, understands what actually has to go into winterizing a power generating station?
The same things that have to go into winterizing them everywhere else I suppose.

When did the argument turn into winterizing existing equipment? I thought the video was about people and media lying and blaming solar and wind power for everything that happened in Texas? Oh and about companies ignoring a surplus of warnings and recommendations before building.

I see you are from Canada. Most folks I know in Canada are quite nice. They are mostly in and around Oakville and Calgary. Some left for, mostly, political reasons.
Canada's a cool place. I lived in Oakville & area for a long time and have friends in Calgary.

Won't say more. Why? Because it ain't about trucks sir. That vid...aint' about trucks. Please leave it out of this forum okay?
Sounds good to me! I just found it hard to ignore some of the repeated misinformation that gets posted by others and so I responded to it. The video just seemed relevant to some of it.

Last edited:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'm surprised you didn't get solar Phil? It was well worth the investment especially with the tax credits. I own my system and the ROI was expected to be about 8 years. But with the never ending increases from APS ( they don't effect me) I figure 6.5 years now. My electricity costs are about .55/day.

IMG_3668.jpg
Hi Dave,

We have some here that have gone Solar....and then the failures...the components are no longer services so to revise is a significant amount of $. No thanks. Besides, Panels on my roof present a very exensive roof recoat...It does not make long term economic sense here in Green Valley. Mos folks that bought into this have pulled the stuff off their roof and lost money long term.... not a fan of solar.

What I did was purchase Soar from the Trico Solar farm...maintenance is not on them.. Still, Jury is out.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Hi Dave,

We have some here that have gone Solar....and then the failures...the components are no longer services so to revise is a significant amount of $. No thanks. Besides, Panels on my roof present a very exensive roof recoat...It does not make long term economic sense here in Green Valley. Mos folks that bought into this have pulled the stuff off their roof and lost money long term.... not a fan of solar.

What I did was purchase Soar from the Trico Solar farm...maintenance is not on them.. Still, Jury is out.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Up here in the NE we get to pick who we want to purchase power from. One of the choices is solar. It costs .16 more per kWh though. I drive by turbines all the time around here that are not in use. ??‍♂

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hi Dave,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
The key is getting the right company as there are so many "fly by nighters" out here. I was lucky and got a really good small company and upgraded my panels (LG panels) and micro inverters so I have less panels on my roof but they produce more than 4 other companies quotes. Mine does 100% of my needs so my average bill is $16-$17/month. I asked them about potential future roof repairs and they said they'll just come back and take them down and reinstall them IIRC it was under $1,000 which isn't that bad.

With 300+ days of sunshine here in AZ it make perfect economic sense. You're going to pay for power one way or another so might as well cut out the power company. 25 year warranty on the panels and inverters and in 6 months mine will have paid for themself, I think that's a pretty good ROI. Like anything people need to do their homework or they're going to have problems.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I want a solar powered Ranger with panel dampers.
Good idea! Add mini panels to the roof and the damper will raise and lower them to the angle of the sun as you drive. :like:

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Did I talk about flatearth crackheads? ... o_O????
that hurts!
I just don't know what to say to that...
Do other countries have people as weird as the ones we seem to have here?

Gerder

First Name
Gerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WorldRanger ˋ19 TKE, several VW Rabbit (Golf) MK2
I just don't know what to say to that...
Do other countries have people as weird as the ones we seem to have here?
i‘m afraid ur not alone with this phenomenon... afaik it is a global 21st cent thing... song from 1990

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
noticed the forecast for the coming week has some cold and precip. hopefully its not round two of ice and snow revenge.
Sponsored