Smart Data Link Module Adapter - What is it?

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport Supercab 4x4, '19 Lance 1995
Occupation
Retired
I'm installing my Ford trailer brake controller and while under the dash I found the Smart Data Link Module (SDLM) (it incorporates the OBD port) just hanging under the dash with the adapter in the photo hooked up to it. It plugs into the SDLM and has an OBD connector that is attached where the SDLM would normally mount. It looks like a poorly installed aftermarket add-on. The adapter connector mount doesn't have the same bolt spacing as the original, so it was only held on with one screw. The adapter has an extra connector (or two?) coming out of it, that was just twist-tied in place. I took the adapter out and put the SDLM back in place (the adapter can still be connected if needed).

What the heck is this thing?
IMG_3652.JPG
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I'm installing my Ford trailer brake controller and while under the dash I found the Smart Data Link Module (SDLM) (it incorporates the OBD port) just hanging under the dash with the adapter in the photo hooked up to it. It plugs into the SDLM and has an OBD connector that is attached where the SDLM would normally mount. It looks like a poorly installed aftermarket add-on. The adapter connector mount doesn't have the same bolt spacing as the original, so it was only held on with one screw. The adapter has an extra connector (or two?) coming out of it, that was just twist-tied in place. I took the adapter out and put the SDLM back in place (the adapter can still be connected if needed).

IMG_3652.JPG
Did you buy your Ranger new or used? Looks like some kind of "T" adapter, maybe for some add-on gauges or tuner of some kind. I'd leave it off for now. Maybe someone else has more knowledge?

OP
OP

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Did you buy your Ranger new or used? Looks like some kind of "T" adapter, maybe for some add-on gauges or tuner of some kind. I'd leave it off for now. Maybe someone else has more knowledge?
The truck is new.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector

IMG_3652.JPG
That looks like a dongle for an add on device that would use the ODBII port and still be able to plug in a diagnostic tool. I think I saw where the Ford dashcam plugs into the OBDII port.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The truck is new.
Hi Carl,

The dealer owes you and explanation on this as this is not OEM. Something smells here. Our local dealer installs an "alarm system" that they charge a million bucks for nothing more than a system that can shut the Truck/Car off if you miss a payment.... At least this has a bridge connector so no wire damage was endured, but of what is this jumper harness an aftermarket system.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Hi Carl,

The dealer owes you and explanation on this as this is not OEM. Something smells here. Our local dealer installs an "alarm system" that they charge a million bucks for nothing more than a system that can shut the Truck/Car off if you miss a payment.... At least this has a bridge connector so no wire damage was endured, but of what is this jumper harness an aftermarket system.
I sent them a request for more information. I'll let you know if/when I hear back.

OP
OP

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The dealer responded with this reply, "...what you are seeing is most likely our GPS system. You may have purchased it [I didn't] or it may have been left in there accidentally."

Interesting that they never mentioned a GPS system when we purchased the truck.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The dealer responded with this reply, "...what you are seeing is most likely our GPS system. You may have purchased it [I didn't] or it may have been left in there accidentally."

Interesting that they never mentioned a GPS system when we purchased the truck.
Hi Carl,

GPS system??? Yeah...right...miss a payment from dealer financing and they will locate your vehicle...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Is there a Ford part number molded into it? Might be worth a Google.

OP
OP

Carl_Sj

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Like Phil said, it's not a Ford part. There's no part number (from any manufacturer) on it.

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I read this thread with great interest. Any further word from the dealer?

Like the other comments, I too feel like this is super sketchy.

pyphb

First Name
Pyp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Buy stuff
The entire can bus is not available from the front connector. Can only access some modules. The smart datalink is essentially a gateway for other modules. Splitter cable to access rest of modules on buses not on main plug.

Some engineer (most likely) or line worker left it there by mistake.
Sponsored