Small RV Recommendation

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
Winnebago has a new line Hike... Has similar features to the minnie but has an exoskeleton they claim you can mount bikes or kayaks to... Good luck... There are other light weight trailers where the bunkhouse can convert to bike storage... I am sure someone will follow up with a comment.
Sponsored

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
Hi It's Larry. Im the one who started this thread so I thought I should give you an update. We have been doing a lot of research. And thanks for all the great information that has been shared. Very helpful. We kind of fell in love with the Micro Minnie concept liking the construction, the 7ft width for towing, and the prewired solar. Then we saw the bunkhouse capability and were excited about the potential to load our bikes in that area (Will have to check with Winnebago?) as well as the additional sleeping for grandkids. We thought maybe the 22ft (2100BH). Then (you know how it goes) we saw the 2306 BHS which had that plus a murphy bed so a nice sitting area as well. But it is huge! 25' 5" long and weighs 4560 with freshwater, water heater, full LP - just no cargo. That has a 7,000 GVWR. We love the look, but think it is too much trailer for us to pull. So I thought we might discuss with Winnebago if the hatch really would allow for bike loading and if there was any way the 22 footer should as an option have a murphy bed. (Probably shows how naive I am) So that is where we are at. Love the bigger trailer but just concerned it is too big a rig. The 22 ft is likely to be plenty to tow. What do you guys think? I know there is a related thread discussing an over 30' trailer that has drawn mixed reviews but I'm wondering as nice as it is, if this isn't a bridge too far for us. Thats the update and thanks for your thoughts.
Hey Larry,
I am partial to bigger...
That 2306 BHS is very nice and perfect for you IMO. The first season out, yes you feel a little apprehensive when towing. But it's amazing how quickly you get used to it. The regrets of getting something else won't happen soon with a nice trailer like that. Trust me.
The 2100 BH is also a nice trailer. But I don't see a sink (mirror) in the bathroom. That would be a deal breaker for me with 4+ people using the kitchen sink for brushing teeth etc Plus, the TV in this one must be tiny as I don't even see where it would go... Do not dismiss having a TV for rainy days when kids get bored. Cartoons can save your life lol.
Either way, your Ranger will tow both of these with ease! Even with gear +
Just my 2cents.
Good luck!

SuperBford

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
education
Winnebago has a new line Hike... Has similar features to the minnie but has an exoskeleton they claim you can mount bikes or kayaks to... Good luck... There are other light weight trailers where the bunkhouse can convert to bike storage... I am sure someone will follow up with a comment.

I'm going to go and check out the Hike lineup.

Deleted member 1634

Hi It's Larry. Im the one who started this thread so I thought I should give you an update. We have been doing a lot of research. And thanks for all the great information that has been shared. Very helpful. We kind of fell in love with the Micro Minnie concept liking the construction, the 7ft width for towing, and the prewired solar. Then we saw the bunkhouse capability and were excited about the potential to load our bikes in that area (Will have to check with Winnebago?) as well as the additional sleeping for grandkids. We thought maybe the 22ft (2100BH). Then (you know how it goes) we saw the 2306 BHS which had that plus a murphy bed so a nice sitting area as well. But it is huge! 25' 5" long and weighs 4560 with freshwater, water heater, full LP - just no cargo. That has a 7,000 GVWR. We love the look, but think it is too much trailer for us to pull. So I thought we might discuss with Winnebago if the hatch really would allow for bike loading and if there was any way the 22 footer should as an option have a murphy bed. (Probably shows how naive I am) So that is where we are at. Love the bigger trailer but just concerned it is too big a rig. The 22 ft is likely to be plenty to tow. What do you guys think? I know there is a related thread discussing an over 30' trailer that has drawn mixed reviews but I'm wondering as nice as it is, if this isn't a bridge too far for us. Thats the update and thanks for your thoughts.
I'd say each of the options your considering are within the limits of the truck. It just comes down to what you're comfortable with as the driver and user. That's not something the rest of us can really answer for you.

Good luck!

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
We just got a Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s. We were looking for a trailer bigger on the inside than the outside (any Dr. Who fans here?). We found this 22’ trailer that has a u-shaped dinette, a nice size couch, a full bath and kitchen. What makes it happen is there’s no bedroom. When it’s bedtime the couch folds down and the Murphy bed comes out from behind it. And it’s very comfortable.

Word of caution — like most trailers made at the factories in Indiana, the build quality is marginal. I’ve already had to fix a couple small problems. Being handy helps, but I also got a Good Sam extended warranty.

Worst case, a nice size tent will fit in the bed.

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I haul this little Jayco behind my Ranger and it does great. I do keep my speed down when towing, 60-65 mph. The Jayco weighs around 2,800 loaded with water.

20200923_063042 (Medium).jpg

20200923_072336 (Medium).jpg

Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I don't know if this has been mentioned but the maximum load capacity of the Ranger is located on the driver's side door post. On my 2020 it's 1566#. That means any passengers (other than driver), gear and tongue weight of your camper. I have a Casita and with the loaded camper and all my gear, I'm around 1500# and it's a rough ride because the springpac is pretty weak and the truck rides on the jounce bumps. I'm fixing the problem by installing Eibach shocks and Sumosprings. BTW, when you shop for RVs pay attention to the CCC, that's "cargo carrying capacity". Some have such a small rating that it's almost impossible to not overload them. Good luck!

DragonKeepr

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Here is my new '21 Micro Minnie 2108TB. The dealer installed the WDH and it towed rough (push / pull motion) on the first trip out. I adjusted the brackets up a notch and it's much better now. You hardly know it's back there!

BONUS: The trailer stripes match the truck!

1604002915036.png

1604003080076.png

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 2021 Ranger on order, mostly to be able to buy a travel trailer. We are looking mainly at R-Pods and the Wolf Pups. We are a couple with a dog. We might extend our short list to the Jayco's mentioned here also.

Question for those towing 3-4k lbs trailers... Based on the pictures in this tread, it looks like either the hitch/tongue weight is leveling out the suspension, or do most of you have leveling/lift kits? I'd want a level kit, but if it makes the truck nose up when towing, maybe I'll reconsider..

Thanks! This forum is awesome. We're still months away from our truck, but looking forward to it.

Last edited:

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I have a 2021 on order, mostly to be able to buy a travel tailer. We are looking mainly at R-Pods and the Wolf Pups. We are a couple with a dog. We might extend our short list to the Jayco's mentioned here also.

Question for those towing 3-4k lbs trailers... Based on the pictures in this tread, it looks like either the hitch/tongue weight it leveling out the suspension, or do most of you have leveling/lift kits? I'd want a level kit, but if it makes the truck nose up when towing, maybe I'll reconsider..

Thanks! This forum is awesome. We're still months away from our truck, but looking forward to it.
My 3200lbs + cargo levels my truck. No lift kit.

Rather than lift the front, I'm looking to lower the rear of my truck and add air bags to keep it level with a trailer attach. Supposedly you can get the leafs adjusted to lower it.

Reactions: EJH

MSearles

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
I have a 2021 Ranger on order, mostly to be able to buy a travel trailer. We are looking mainly at R-Pods and the Wolf Pups. We are a couple with a dog. We might extend our short list to the Jayco's mentioned here also.

Question for those towing 3-4k lbs trailers... Based on the pictures in this tread, it looks like either the hitch/tongue weight is leveling out the suspension, or do most of you have leveling/lift kits? I'd want a level kit, but if it makes the truck nose up when towing, maybe I'll reconsider..

I'm towing a little over 5,000 lbs loaded (Sunset Trails 222RB) with a WDH. No air bags. The truck is level and I've had no issues towing.

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT

I tow a Rockland Mini Lite 2104s that weights 4200 lbs empty, 6200 GVWR. I have a weight distributing hitch to keep the trailer from dragging down the rear end. Works fine.

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
We have a Hybrid camper that works great for us. It is a Shamrock 21DK (same as a Rockwood ROO) . As you can see from pic it has a large slideout (Kitchen). 2 Queen size beds on each side and a U dinette that makes a full size bed and a bathroom with small tub/shower. Dry weight is 4350#. Probably close to 4800# loaded with gear. I have no issues pulling this. I just pulled it 500 miles down the interstate at 70 mph over labor day weekend. I was getting 12-13 mpg. I get 14-15 mpg at 60mph on state roads. It is Indiana...so relatively flat. I have a E2 Weight distribution hitch, which works great. On top of that i usually have bed full with 2 kayaks and 2 adults in the cab. Not sure i would like anything bigger than this for long hauls. I has seen what other are pulling and not sure I would push the weight of a camper over 6000 lbs, but that is me. Also, I have the Ford authorized Brake controller. One of the issues with a bigger camper can be the front wind resistance with the higher weight.

CAMPER.jpg
Nice set up. What's the length on that trailer from tip to tip.?