First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
I didn’t get to see, I wonder if they are like off the shelf B&D and Makita rechargeable drill motors, recip saws, die grinders, etc. or something specialized all brushed stainless looking things?

They said, they would put me out in the operating room but the last thing I remember was sitting up all hunched over waiting for the needle in my spine, if I felt it, I don’t remember it.

I would have liked to know if he was a Makita guy or some knock off brand? :)
I've decided if I have it done the doc needs to be a Mileaukee-Doctor! He'll have to pre-certify with me! Lol
Sponsored

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Glad your home and progressing well. Serious surgeries make me uneasy. The waking up part, are you going too? With me even though I come out of antheshia poorly I am so thankful I am fighting with the nurses for a bit. ??
I “think” the anesthesia thing works good for me. As I come out, what I can remember of it she or he is laughing and and saying something like, “how you feeling”, I always hope I was using one of my fresher jokes before I was all there. :)

It’s funny, I have always thought the “not waking up from a general anesthetic” had to be the best way to go, you go out calm and happy and that’s it. :)

I told the doc in my last office appointment that if I didn’t make it he had to know, I had no regrets and have had a great life, so be smiling and not frowning if they were wheeling me through the back door that day. :)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I “think” the anesthesia thing works good for me. As I come out, what I can remember of it she or he is laughing and and saying something like, “how you feeling”, I always hope I was using one of my fresher jokes before I was all there. :)

It’s funny, I have always thought the “not waking up from a general anesthetic” had to be the best way to go, you go out calm and happy and that’s it. :)

I told the doc in my last office appointment that if I didn’t make it he had to know, I had no regrets and have had a great life, so be smiling and not frowning if they were wheeling me through the back door that day. :)
Bill you sound like you went into this procedure fully aware of what could happen and have a great attitude about it. I think that's what really helps get you through things like this, staying positive.

It is amazing (to me anyway) to go through something like this and come home that same day. We're all glad you came through it quickly and even though there's still a ways to go, you seem like you're going to be up and around in no time.

Just one favor though? If you have to go back into the hospital can you have them keep you over at least one night? We really wanted to finish our party and your dear wife Mary was up next in the beer funnel contest. She seemed a little upset she didn't get her turn. ?

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
I've decided if I have it done the doc needs to be a Mileaukee-Doctor! He'll have to pre-certify with me! Lol
Yeah, I wonder if those Project Farm YouTube reviews of rechargeable power tools count toward his continuing training time? ;)

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t get to see, I wonder if they are like off the shelf B&D and Makita rechargeable drill motors, recip saws, die grinders, etc. or something specialized all brushed stainless looking things?

They said, they would put me out in the operating room but the last thing I remember was sitting up all hunched over waiting for the needle in my spine, if I felt it, I don’t remember it.

I would have liked to know if he was a Makita guy or some knock off brand? :)
You can guarantee that the tools he used are WAY, WAY, WAY more expensive that what you'd find at Home Depot or Ace. I'm sure they have to undergo medical certification and would need to be able to be sanitized so they are surely stainless.

I've had a few procedures in the last few years and it is pretty amazing how quick the anesthesia takes effect. Usually I remember "you'll feel this in a bit" and then the next thing I remember I'm waking up somewhere different. Being able to get off the hard core pain meds quickly is a bonus too. I did not like those things.

Glad you are doing well. My mom had a new hip about 15 years ago and she had a good recovery as well. One thing I've found is that for any kind of joint replacement, the surgeon is probably the biggest variable - I've known people who had bad surgeons and had to have the operation re-done - round 2 with a different surgeon went WAY better.

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
Bill you sound like you went into this procedure fully aware of what could happen and have a great attitude about it. I think that's what really helps get you through things like this, staying positive.

It is amazing (to me anyway) to go through something like this and come home that same day. We're all glad you came through it quickly and even though there's still a ways to go, you seem like you're going to be up and around in no time.

Just one favor though? If you have to go back into the hospital can you have them keep you over at least one night? We really wanted to finish our party and your dear wife Mary was up next in the beer funnel contest. She seemed a little upset she didn't get her turn. ?
Will do Dave!

In my first consultation with the doc, he said it was possible I might be able to leave that afternoon. When he looked at the shocked look on my face he said, “wild right?”, with a big smile on his face. I wasn’t sure how I felt about that? :)

I does seem to be going pretty well. I cut my opiate dosage in half yesterday, which is a few days ahead of schedule and I have a little more pain, but it is tolerable and I am less loopy. I am hoping I can get off that stuff completely and only be on anti inflammatory meds in a few days.

It really does seem like you know Mary really well. :). Come to think of it, her hair did seem a little askew and makeup a little less dialed than normal when she picked me up at the hospital…. Glad she didn’t have that breathalyzer gadget in her Highlander, maybe it would have been an overnight stay after all. ;)

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
You can guarantee that the tools he used are WAY, WAY, WAY more expensive that what you'd find at Home Depot or Ace. I'm sure they have to undergo medical certification and would need to be able to be sanitized so they are surely stainless.

I've had a few procedures in the last few years and it is pretty amazing how quick the anesthesia takes effect. Usually I remember "you'll feel this in a bit" and then the next thing I remember I'm waking up somewhere different. Being able to get off the hard core pain meds quickly is a bonus too. I did not like those things.

Glad you are doing well. My mom had a new hip about 15 years ago and she had a good recovery as well. One thing I've found is that for any kind of joint replacement, the surgeon is probably the biggest variable - I've known people who had bad surgeons and had to have the operation re-done - round 2 with a different surgeon went WAY better.
I think you are spot on, on all counts. Your experience mirrors mine exactly with regard to anesthetics. Also, I have no doubt, like every other service I have ever received, who is doing the work makes 100% all the difference. I did a lot of research and this guy came up tops in the area. The RN who was prepping me in the hospital and works for all the orthopedics who use that hospital leaned over while she was hooking me up to all the vital sign monitors and said, “you picked the best surgeon I have ever worked for, definitely the best in the state, maybe in the country, he is amazing.” So far, that has been my experience.

I have always been the luckiest guy I ever met, knock on wood, because I don’t take it for granted. ;)

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
One would think, but ...

index.png

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
My dad wasn’t a big woodworker per se, we had a table saw and a belt sander but no lathe, etc. He was a mechanical engineer and incredibly creative. I was the only kid on the block with a repeating rubber band rifle. I won the Cub Scout pine wood derby races going away. But truth be told, while I made the car, ever detail of its design and execution was his. If it had been left solely up to me, it would have been a rolling square block with a Tundra style painted on front grill, losing by feet… :(
There was a study done where I think the mythbusters looked at every design and determined that the ideal pinewood derby shape was basically a wedge with a strategically placed coin and daves favorite substance graphene lubing the wheels lol so you would't have been far off lol

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
There was a study done where I think the mythbusters looked at every design and determined that the ideal pinewood derby shape was basically a wedge with a strategically placed coin and daves favorite substance graphene lubing the wheels lol so you would't have been far off lol
I remember the shape vividly, it looked like one of the earlier Salt Flats Time Trails cars, not as far back as the surplus drop tank cars, just a melt like look. The rest is a little fuzzier. I think we had a weight limited, I can’t remember if you could add external weights to get to min, but what we did was use a very thick rubber based coating, kind of like that plastic dip stuff you can use on tool handles. After we got the shape perfect, the a le supports were all streamlined (kind of a symmetrical airfoil shape), we dipped and dried, dipped and dried till we got exactly on min weight, once we added the brads (the stub axles) and the wheels. We deburred the brads and filled the the holes in the wheels and redrilled them so they spun freely but had zero wobble. It was a really fun time. He was the best person I ever knew.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I remember the shape vividly, it looked like one of the earlier Salt Flats Time Trails cars, not as far back as the surplus drop tank cars, just a melt like look. The rest is a little fuzzier. I think we had a weight limited, I can’t remember if you could add external weights to get to min, but what we did was use a very thick rubber based coating, kind of like that plastic dip stuff you can use on tool handles. After we got the shape perfect, the a le supports were all streamlined (kind of a symmetrical airfoil shape), we dipped and dried, dipped and dried till we got exactly on min weight, once we added the brads (the stub axles) and the wheels. We deburred the brads and filled the the holes in the wheels and redrilled them so they spun freely but had zero wobble. It was a really fun time. He was the best person I ever knew.
man things really havent changed lol my dad and I did just about the same thing, getting the wheels and "axles" right was the longest part of the whole process but when we and by we I mean mostly he was done those things spun so smooth you'd think they were ball bearings. for my first year I was deadset on having a car that looked super cool all other factors be damned then I wised up and got focused on winning that first car was so slow lol next years was ugly but she was quick just an unpainted piece of wood with some washers strategically glued to various parts for the best balance, didn't win any beauty awards but she sure did win races. Also it sounds like yall used the precursor to flex seal

OP
OP
deleriumtremor

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
man things really havent changed lol my dad and I did just about the same thing, getting the wheels and "axles" right was the longest part of the whole process but when we and by we I mean mostly he was done those things spun so smooth you'd think they were ball bearings. for my first year I was deadset on having a car that looked super cool all other factors be damned then I wised up and got focused on winning that first car was so slow lol next years was ugly but she was quick just an unpainted piece of wood with some washers strategically glued to various parts for the best balance, didn't win any beauty awards but she sure did win races. Also it sounds like yall used the precursor to flex seal
I am not sure what the coating material was, but it was dark grey/green and made the car look kind of menacing, I loved it.

It is fun running into a fellow lucky duck!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

Most of what you said is true. I’m involved with these devices and their development and manufacturing. Depending on who’s inplants you’re getting they’re tailored to adapt to those procedures. Much has changed over the decades from hard lessons learned. For the most part they’re made from stainless steel or other exotic materials that can be sterilized. After every procedure they’ll be disassembled, cleaned and sterilized. Much of the “specialized tooling” used is reused X number of times if not damaged and reused or replaced if at end of scheduled life.
Even the tools used are traceable back to ingot raw materials.
Sponsored