j8g

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Happy new year everyone!

I have a 2019 XLT Ranger with the FX4 package. The other day when I had the truck in 4WD and turned sharply (I was parking in an icy lot) the truck shuddered and shook, jerking forward (this does not happen in 2WD). I thought I had a broken CV joint, so I brought it in to the dealer. They checked it out and said everything was fine - no joint issues, no error codes, etc. They said this happened because I was on dry pavement.

I was surprised that this was normal, so I asked to drive another one of their trucks on the lot. Sure enough, a brand new XL FX4 did the same exact thing.

I was hoping the collective wisdom of this group could help me understand why this is happening. I’ve owned a number of AWD vehicles (I recognize that AWD and 4WD are different), and I have never experienced this.

If it isn’t a CV issue, my other guess is that the tires are trying to move at significantly different speeds and one is sticking and slipping given the tight turning radius, but I would have thought the differential would prevent that from happening.

Thanks for the help.

Jon
Sponsored

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
In my experience, if you're on ice and you give it more throttle, the jerking etc will go away.

Seriously, the Ranger has no center differential or other way to split torque front to rear like AWD.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I bet if you google this, you'll find a ton of information. All 4x4 trucks will do this and have been doing this for a very long time.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Normals ops for any 4WD I've ever owned....My Superduty would buck like a bronco with slow sharp turns in snow/ice in 4WD.

OP
OP

j8g

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Thanks all for clearing that up

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FX4 Level 2
Occupation
Tech
You should hear my truck with a limited slip in the rear, pull into get gas on snow days. The whole lot is Ice but it's dry.under the canopy

Chirp chirp chirp squealllllllllll chirp chirp chirp.

Most throttle. Send it
Sponsored

Reactions: EJH