Check engine light 3rd time - jerking when stopping

Jamiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
This is the 3rd time the check engine light has come on in under 650 miles on truck. First time was power train malfunction, collision sensor, and truck would not start. I was at dealer 100 miles away picking up truck after purchase. They said they could not find anything wrong and reset the codes. Not sure I believe them now. 2nd time was bad oxygen sensor which the dealer near me replaced. This time its power train malfunction again plus forward collision warning again like first time. I noticed when coming to a stop once I got under 20 mph it felt like transmission was jerking forward and backward. Really weird. It also seems sluggish when accelerating. When I went to start the truck it just cranked and cranked and would not start. I turned key off and tried again and it started. I dropped it off at local dealer and have rental car. I did have a brake controller installed yesterday at a truck accessory store recommended by the dealer. I'm hoping that doesn't have anything to do with it.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

It could be a wiring connector that is not firmly seated. the one I am thinking is behind the left head light. I also doubt the EGO need replacement. It was likely an intermittent loss of signal. Have the dealer check the 14401 to 14289 electrical connector too. 14401 is the main wiring harness and 14289 is the main engine harness.

Good luck..you need a diagnostician, not a parts changer.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Company Retired

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,
Good luck..you need a diagnostician, not a parts changer.
Unfortunately, these are getting harder to find as years go by.....

You must have some insider wiring diagram or something to know what connectors are what! Great info - I hope it helps. It sure is nice to have someone "in the know" on the forum.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

Had a ton of diagnostic experience. That said, this is just a swag. SWAG = Scientific Wild A$$ Guess..
With a mechanic from Carron Inc. (Now defunct) I built the first EFI vehicle in truck, a 2.3L stick Ranger. the computer was the size of three briefcases...hand wiring the truck taught me a lot.. the year was 1982.

Best,
Phil Schilke

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Rob,

Had a ton of diagnostic experience. That said, this is just a swag. SWAG = Scientific Wild A$$ Guess..
With a mechanic from Carron Inc. (Now defunct) I built the first EFI vehicle in truck, a 2.3L stick Ranger. the computer was the size of three briefcases...hand wiring the truck taught me a lot.. the year was 1982.

Best,
Phil Schilke
I'm very familiar with SWAGs - I do them all the time at work.... :)

Computers have certainly gotten MUCH smaller in the last 30 years - and WAY more powerful.

It is good to have someone with your experience here on the Forum. I've enjoyed driving Rangers for the last 20 years.

Ric

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
I'm very familiar with SWAGs - I do them all the time at work.... :)

Computers have certainly gotten MUCH smaller in the last 30 years - and WAY more powerful.

It is good to have someone with your experience here on the Forum. I've enjoyed driving Rangers for the last 20 years.
Phil is awesome resource. I followed his advice about my inconsistent braking issue, and bingo! It’s now all better.

OP
OP

Jamiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
It could be a wiring connector that is not firmly seated. the one I am thinking is behind the left head light. I also doubt the EGO need replacement. It was likely an intermittent loss of signal. Have the dealer check the 14401 to 14289 electrical connector too. 14401 is the main wiring harness and 14289 is the main engine harness.
All I can say is wow. You were correct. I picked up my truck today and they said connector C175E was not fully seated causing poor connection on multiple circuits.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
All I can say is wow. You were correct. I picked up my truck today and they said connector C175E was not fully seated causing poor connection on multiple circuits.
Hi,

Very pleased to here you got it fixed!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Sponsored