Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I wish a company would make a thicker/better oem one. I know someone did that on the Toyota Tacoma’s pro skid. Curious to see how this pans out. I’d love to the the oem skid but pricey over 300.
OEM skid plate are stamped and requires expensive tooling...all aftermarket version are break formed...a thicker stamped replica of OEM would be likely be too expensive and lack sales volume to offset the investment...although it might be possible to sandwich two and weld?
Sponsored

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
OEM skid plate are stamped and requires expensive tooling...all aftermarket version are break formed...a thicker stamped replica of OEM would be likely be too expensive and lack sales volume to offset the investment...although it might be possible to sandwich two and weld?
yes obviously. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done just like the Tacoma pro skid. Those sold like hot cakes and reasonably priced.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
although it might be possible to sandwich two and weld?
That’s not a bad idea at all to stiffen it up. It’d be a rusty moisture trap around here though!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
That’s not a bad idea at all to stiffen it up. It’d be a rusty moisture trap around here though!
Ya...maybe a work around would use a liquid adhesive in between and riveted together? At least this could be a DIY lol...

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
A little concerned about the radiator being exposed on the corner. Could just be the angle of the shot though.

OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
A little concerned about the radiator being exposed on the corner. Could just be the angle of the shot though.
That shouldn't be the radiator; it sits a bit further back than what you're looking at. I think that's just the actual ben in the skid itself.
EDIT: I think I see what you're looking at now, didn't even notice the radiator hose initially. Tough to tell, I'll see if he can get me another angle.

Last edited:

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
That shouldn't be the radiator; it sits a bit further back than what you're looking at. I think that's just the actual ben in the skid itself.
EDIT: I think I see what you're looking at now, didn't even notice the radiator hose initially. Tough to tell, I'll see if he can get me another angle.
I’m just keeping rocks in mind. When on some of these rock laden trails I wouldn’t want to drop down ontop of a rock and hit the corner of the radiator.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
How about the fuel tank and exhaust? Do they need protection?

Last edited:
OP
OP
HoosierT

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
How about the fuel tank and exhaust? Do they need protection?
Not sure if they plan to expand their set to those or not. I'm not too worried about those though. If I'm at risk for hitting either of those then I've chosen a REALLY bad line that's going to have me destroying my rear Diff...At that point, some minor trail building would be in order to get the rear tires up sooner. That or some stacked maxtrax.
Sponsored