OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Little more work done on the barn door design. For clarification when both doors are in the closed position the overlay will be about 6 inches or so on the door frame opening, so ignore the gap you see.

In regards to the gaps in the actual door, I have some tricks up my sleeve to close those off later.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Looks to me like a modern version of a...
1632225596597.png

My Dad had one of the earlier versions when I was a kid and did a lot of wood projects with it. The newer ones probably have some great upgrades and improvements! I don't remember him making any M&M's on it... :LOL:

1632226424631.png
It is a Shop Smith Mark V which I bought in 1982. It’s a great machine if you have limited space and don’t mind the time required to transition to different operations. It is a table saw, lathe, horizontal boring, vertical drill press and disc sander. But many attachments can be added including the joiner that is mounted in the picture.

I have been using it for almost 40 years. The headstock was rebuilt (needed new bearings) a few years ago.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
It is a Shop Smith Mark V which I bought in 1982. It’s a great machine if you have limited space and don’t mind the time required to transition to different operations. It is a table saw, lathe, horizontal boring, vertical drill press and disc sander. But many attachments can be added including the joiner that is mounted in the picture.

I have been using it for almost 40 years. The headstock was rebuilt (needed new bearings) a few years ago.
I can image how well it works and all that can be done on it. Dad's was older than that...around an early 60's model. He loved it and was amazed at it's quality and the variety of things it could do :)

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Doing a little math for a 10x20 platform if materials bought from Lowes;

$247.52 - (Joists + Ledgers) 2 x 4 x 10 @ 8" Spacing = 30 Units ($7.28 ea)
$139.80 - (Support Beams ) 4 x 4 x 10 @ 24" Spacing = 10 Units ($13.98 ea)
$258.66 - (Flooring) 4' x 8' x 3/4" = 12 Units ($29.88 ea)

$645.98 + $51.68 (Tax) = $697.66 (Total)

Figured about another $50.00 or so misc for cost for hardware. This cost to build an "on ramp" are pretty minimal, but unknown so I didn't add that.

If I did a 4" thick concrete pad myself, same dimensions not including misc materials cost, the 150 bags would cost $429 + tax. I'd have to buy a float, everything else I have I think. Unknown costs are questions like, do I rent a mixer? I'd probably have to have it delivered. Way too many back and forth trips at that weight. Good news is, I already have a compacted gravel base!

So it looks like DIY concrete may be comparable, but I've never done concrete work beyond very very small projects.
I'd be worried about a wood floor in a garage rotting after several years laying on the ground. The compacted gravel base will likely help, but still...

I would look into the cost of having a cement contractor do it. It will cost more now, but it will be poured, leveled, and smoothed in a day, and I think it will be better in the long run.

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I'd be worried about a wood floor in a garage rotting after several years laying on the ground. The compacted gravel base will likely help, but still...

I would look into the cost of having a cement contractor do it. It will cost more now, but it will be poured, leveled, and smoothed in a day, and I think it will be better in the long run.
This

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

If I had the choice of having wood sit on compacted gravel or concrete, I'd pick gravel all day long. With OFC Rangers situation and the area the wood platform will be on, I would have very little concern about rotting wood. The gravel should stay dry for the most part, and it will dry faster than concrete if it does get wet. Concrete retains water and it takes much longer for it to dry compared to compacted gravel.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
This is my little shop. Entrance is from the garage but it stays comfortably warm in the winter even though it has no HVAC.

Anyone recognize the machine in the foreground?

1632191013892.jpeg

1632191068704.jpeg
Ya’ll eat a lot of peanut butter, do ya? ;)

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
The bottom color came out a little darker than I expected once I dabbed some on the wood. Seemed much lighter and nearly a perfect match at the store.

But it will do. Will see if weather allows me and my daughter to paint tomorrow.

I am thinking of installing flashing tape on the bottom edges of the door, seems like a smart idea to protect against water soakage over time yea?

IMG_20210921_164949.jpg

oldnslow

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
If I had the choice of having wood sit on compacted gravel or concrete, I'd pick gravel all day long. With OFC Rangers situation and the area the wood platform will be on, I would have very little concern about rotting wood. The gravel should stay dry for the most part, and it will dry faster than concrete if it does get wet. Concrete retains water and it takes much longer for it to dry compared to compacted gravel.
I wasn't thinking of putting wood over concrete, but concrete instead of wood over the gravel. I agree putting wood over concrete could lead to more problems.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Well tomorrow my plan is to put in a concrete entry sill (1' x 10') at 4 inches deep. I figure this is a small enough project if I like working with concrete I may just do 6' x 6' sections at a time. until the entire floor is done. This is the only budget friendly way I can do this with all my other projects going on.

Todays task, my daughter gave me a hand painting the one door. She rolled, I brushed the edges. I'm a little let down how the color came out, but it could be worse and doesn't look half bad. I may try a better color match at some point in future. Amateur hour I know, I need to fix my middle trim piece (its crooked) and I guess I should have caulked the trim gaps before painting? I guess it doesn't matter won't take no time to touch it up.

The paint chips looked good at store, so I dunno, but fyi Home Derpot "Pewter Gray" is not the same as metal garage "Pewter Gray". The bottom came out pretty good, though a tad darker.

IMG_20210923_123242.jpg

IMG_20210923_143445.jpg

IMG_20210923_182256.jpg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so it's not too bad job for the first time trying it. Execution could have been a little bit better especially on the edge but I'll be happy enough if it doesn't crack if it does no super big deal I don't have a lot invested in it and it's small enough I can break it up and redo it.

I will say however in this instance a hand mixed the bags of concrete and screw that mess. An automatic mixer of some sort is definitely going to be added to the budget somehow.

IMG_20210924_141045.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so it's not too bad job for the first time trying it. Execution could have been a little bit better especially on the edge but I'll be happy enough if it doesn't crack if it does no super big deal I don't have a lot invested in it and it's small enough I can break it up and redo it.

I will say however in this instance a hand mixed the bags of concrete and screw that mess. An automatic mixer of some sort is definitely going to be added to the budget somehow.

IMG_20210924_141045.jpg
If you want to save a good bit of money you can make your own concrete - you buy bags of portland cement and then get truckloads of gravel and sand. 3 shovels of sand, 2 shovels of gravel and 1 shovel of cement:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/masonry/22256867/how-to-make-and-mix-concrete

It is quite a bit cheaper than the premix bags.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat

IMG_20210924_141045.jpg
The whole project from the beginning has looked amazing. You are a very determined and hard-working person. :)

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So here is how I rigged the cylinder lock. I didn't feel like notching the door for the cylinder channel bracket so I just flipped it. I also added a bump stop from some left over parts from the rack project to prevent the two locked doors being moved together all the way left or right which would create a small enough gap for a small person to bypass the doors (lol).

Also, my new shop pet Wilson (not very original I know) was hanging out with me.

IMG_20211001_200051.jpg

IMG_20211001_200001.jpg

IMG_20211001_200025.jpg

IMG_20211002_203332.jpg
Sponsored