OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
OP
OP
Ranger Dave

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
I hit around 130 MPH just long enough to say I was there, but that was on regular radials, not performance high speed ones. I was there from ‘88 - ‘93, and as well as I can remember, you can drive as fast as you want in those designated areas, but you have to be in control of your car at all times- somebody pulls out in front of you when you’re driving MACH 10 with your hair on fire and you can’t stop fast enough- it’s your fault… if your tires blow and you cause an accident- it’s your fault etc etc etc. Still = fun times.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Well I've reached critical mass and all projects are on hold for the day...

....so I can get a simple workbench up. The garage is becoming a mess without proper storage or working areas. I am going to do a monster wall mounted 16 footer with three 6x6 legs (I'll notch them with lag bolts) on the front and the rest made from all those leftover 2x8's I ended up with. Bout to head off to the local DIY to grab the posts and a few odd ends. I am going to use actual joist hangers and 2x8's as well for the benchtop support instead of screwing into the banding.

I still plan to build a smaller mobile workbench for 360 degree work, but most of my projects are long and sometimes heavy so I knew I wanted a biggin' work area. I'll still have over 44 feet of wall space for other items, not to mention I'm pretty decided on building loft storage along the rear.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
While we are on the subject, can someone recommend a metal shavings/sawdust collection system for newbies? Maybe something DIY to keep cost down? Something that will dump into a bucket or yard waste can.
I have one for my woodshop in my basement. I used a 5 gal bucket, some PVC, a used 30 gal oil drum, and a shop vac. I used the PVC and 5 gal bucket to make a cyclonic separator so all the heavier/big stuff drops out into the 30 gal drum, and the shop vac provides the suction. I use a fine dust filter in the shop vac, but not much gets past the the bucket. It may seem kinda cheap, but the price they want for a "cyclonic separator" is insane, and this works just as good.

I initially tried a metal garbage can, but it collapsed when I accidentally plugged the suction hose.
Vac 1.jpg
CV 2.jpg
CV 3.jpg
CV 4.jpg

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
So I was tooting around internet and came across this:

Garage-Floor.jpg

More or less a deck with joists every 8". I can imagine that truck weighs a poop ton more than my Ranger even fully loaded. I could even install a garage tile system with this idea.

What do you guys think of doing a floor like this instead of pavers/concrete? I wonder if I could do wider than 8" joist (10? 12?)? I could easily double, triple, or quadruple the 4x4 floor beams in what I would call the "runway" area of my garage (ie; I park it in the same aligned spot every time).

Got the old brain pondering. Hmm.

OP
OP
Ranger Dave

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
Just wonder what it would cost- the price of wood has skyrocketed! I wanted to get my 12x12 deck redone this year, and was shocked at the price- the composite boards were almost the same price…

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Just wonder what it would cost- the price of wood has skyrocketed! I wanted to get my 12x12 deck redone this year, and was shocked at the price- the composite boards were almost the same price…
I think they have dropped upwards of 65% since the peak pricing. Still high, but not like it use to be.

My deck, roughly 30x8 was around $900, but that was all inclusive down to every tid bit. I also used 2x6s and 2x8s to build the entire thing. I'm betting I could have gotten it cheaper had I not used a DIY store.

A parking deck for my truck would be 10x26, but most of that would be comprised of 2x4s with a handful of 4x4s and a few layers of plywood. Then if I add some garage tiling that would add on down the road.

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Doing a little math for a 10x20 platform if materials bought from Lowes;

$247.52 - (Joists + Ledgers) 2 x 4 x 10 @ 8" Spacing = 30 Units ($7.28 ea)
$139.80 - (Support Beams ) 4 x 4 x 10 @ 24" Spacing = 10 Units ($13.98 ea)
$258.66 - (Flooring) 4' x 8' x 3/4" = 12 Units ($29.88 ea)

$645.98 + $51.68 (Tax) = $697.66 (Total)

Figured about another $50.00 or so misc for cost for hardware. This cost to build an "on ramp" are pretty minimal, but unknown so I didn't add that.

If I did a 4" thick concrete pad myself, same dimensions not including misc materials cost, the 150 bags would cost $429 + tax. I'd have to buy a float, everything else I have I think. Unknown costs are questions like, do I rent a mixer? I'd probably have to have it delivered. Way too many back and forth trips at that weight. Good news is, I already have a compacted gravel base!

So it looks like DIY concrete may be comparable, but I've never done concrete work beyond very very small projects.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
This is my little shop. Entrance is from the garage but it stays comfortably warm in the winter even though it has no HVAC.

Anyone recognize the machine in the foreground?

1632191013892.jpeg

1632191068704.jpeg
Looks to me like a modern version of a...
1632225596597.png

My Dad had one of the earlier versions when I was a kid and did a lot of wood projects with it. The newer ones probably have some great upgrades and improvements! I don't remember him making any M&M's on it... :LOL:

1632226424631.png
Sponsored

Last edited: