First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
Well I got the wiring harness today for the 3rd brake light. What a fiasco.

The Ranger thinks there's a trailer so all my blind spot detection etc is turned off. Even if I go into the menus and say Trailer: none. I still get errors and blind spot detection is disabled. I get random left and right turn signal failure warnings. triple checked the wiring. All plugs are seated well.

Maybe I'm missing something. Why would you need to start messing with a 7 pin connector instead of just tapping into the brake light wire?

Also took it through touchless carwash: tons of water got in through the positive pressures vents: there was literally soap suds dripping off the vent

Mark
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Well I got the wiring harness today for the 3rd brake light. What a fiasco.

The Ranger thinks there's a trailer so all my blind spot detection etc is turned off. Even if I go into the menus and say Trailer: none. I still get errors and blind spot detection is disabled. I get random left and right turn signal failure warnings. triple checked the wiring. All plugs are seated well.

Maybe I'm missing something. Why would you need to start messing with a 7 pin connector instead of just tapping into the brake light wire?

Also took it through touchless carwash: tons of water got in through the positive pressures vents: there was literally soap suds dripping off the vent

Mark
Yeah any time something gets plugged into either the 4 or 7 pin our trucks think there is a trailer and turns off rear parking sensors and cross traffic alerts. Can mess with BLIS also. Ask anyone who has put on a tailgate light bar.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Yeah any time something gets plugged into either the 4 or 7 pin our trucks think there is a trailer and turns off rear parking sensors and cross traffic alerts. Can mess with BLIS also. Ask anyone who has put on a tailgate light bar.
Thanks for reply. It actually plug in the back. I assumed it was a pass thru with a tap

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thanks for reply. It actually plug in the back. I assumed it was a pass thru with a tap
Still enough to sense and trip the trailer module. Have you given the dealer a call? They must have run into this with other Rangers or are you the first US one?

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I emailed support. Was bought direct on line. What's really annoying is that I specifically asked them if it worked with tow package, as another buyer said it didn't and they paid a local auto electrician to fix it. I guess they lied

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
I like the look of their products, and if I wasn't driving a Lariat I'd seriously consider their flatbed option. However, I've read about enough issues with their install and wiring to hold off for a few years.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I like the look of their products, and if I wasn't driving a Lariat I'd seriously consider their flatbed option. However, I've read about enough issues with their install and wiring to hold off for a few years.
Install is a pain, especially if doing it yourself

Wiring is just an annoyance, it 1 light for pete's sake. If it's a 12v LED, why not just tap into the brake wire?

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Anyone else have issues with leaks from the vent? It rains a lot here and a shell is pointless if it leaks from the top!

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
got an email from RSI today. they are sending me a new harness

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I just found this yesterday since I'm waiting to receive my Leer topper and was curious about the wiring. Not sure if it really works but it's listed for our trucks. I'm hesitant to splice into any of the trucks wiring since new vehicles can be very sensitive to load variance.

https://www.ezwheeler.com/products/...-t-harness-300200?_pos=1&_sid=cb0f017ba&_ss=r

the reason I found your post was that I was curious if you installed the table that attaches to the inside roof of the topper?

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I just found this yesterday since I'm waiting to receive my Leer topper and was curious about the wiring. Not sure if it really works but it's listed for our trucks. I'm hesitant to splice into any of the trucks wiring since new vehicles can be very sensitive to load variance.

https://www.ezwheeler.com/products/...-t-harness-300200?_pos=1&_sid=cb0f017ba&_ss=r

the reason I found your post was that I was curious if you installed the table that attaches to the inside roof of the topper?
I considered it, but $400 for a table is ridiculous. I know stainless steel, but still, I don't need a $400 table. Also tables pack flat, sop take up little space. There are rivnuts in the crossmembers so I could easily make something with extruded aluminum to store my existing $30 plastic folding table if I wanted to

Espo78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I considered it, but $400 for a table is ridiculous. I know stainless steel, but still, I don't need a $400 table. Also tables pack flat, sop take up little space. There are rivnuts in the crossmembers so I could easily make something with extruded aluminum to store my existing $30 plastic folding table if I wanted to
Precisely. I want to find someone that actually has it so I can get some better photos of how it mounts. I want to copy it. I like the idea of it being up high so I can take it out first when I unload.

c1freitas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Any other reviews on rain leaking in? I live in the PNW and we get a lot of rain :)

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Did the new wiring harness fix the taillight issue? I contacted them and they said they would send me to a local dealer to get it sorted.
They never sent one. told me to go to a local dealer. Just haven't had time. Did the dealer use the harness or just tap into brake light circuit. Seems by far the simplest
Sponsored