First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Added a couple of LED strips inside the Smart Cap. Can select red (for night use) or white with a toggle switch and have a dimmer to control brightness. This is wired to the battery. Switch/dimmer are mounted on the vertical face of the ARB trim panel to the right of the drawer.
74F80163-2E17-40D2-93A4-4506DD1283A4.jpeg

52539C56-3E03-496C-BFBD-0FBE289F1D66.jpeg
Looks like you’re on a Star Destroyer!!!
Sponsored

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
anyone installed this with a decked drawer system?

foursquare

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLR
anyone installed this with a decked drawer system?
Oops, sorry for the delay! Its now installed, but boy was it a project!

It is totally doable, but I have a number of lessons learned that I would love to advise anyone else on who takes on the project as well:
  • The Smartcap is held in not by clamps but by brackets for the ranger, this means you will install it first, then the decked second, which may seem counter-intuitive
  • The Smartcap is a bit intensive to fit together --- tight fittings, and bolts that have almost new extra threads on the front/back make it a pain
  • The Smartcap should err on the side of gasket to the very edge on the cabside bends, this made it very difficult to fit the brackets down, but if you know in advance, it will be fine
  • The Decked Brackets conflict with the Smartcap brackets. This was a judgement call, but I ended up having to hacksaw down the front edges of the decked brackets, and then mount them directly to the RSI brackets on the cabside -- i can post pics later.
  • Lastly, the modifications to the DECKED top deck is pretty modest, and the easiest of the modifications (hacksawing through plastic was much easier than through metal, and/or drilling into the RSI brackets.
  • The Wiring Harness is still WIP - I think this is complicated by RSI being overseas and perhaps building this for the NZ/AUS spec of the global ranger. Ultimately RSI and Offroad-Alliance have been responsive and are getting it sorted for me, but it took some doing.
This was enough of a project, with enough lessons learned that I hope to post something a little more visual for those that follow in my path, but I'm glad with how it turned out. :D

DECKED and SMARTCAP.jpg

132461088_10102340210805610_5715503502476703740_o.jpg
132357357_10102340210900420_5818551743545468431_o.jpg

OP
OP
OffroadAlliance

OffroadAlliance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2021 Raptor, 2022 F250, 2023 Bronco
@foursquare

Awesome! Came out really well with the Decked system.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Oops, sorry for the delay! Its now installed, but boy was it a project!

It is totally doable, but I have a number of lessons learned that I would love to advise anyone else on who takes on the project as well:
  • The Smartcap is held in not by clamps but by brackets for the ranger, this means you will install it first, then the decked second, which may seem counter-intuitive
  • The Smartcap is a bit intensive to fit together --- tight fittings, and bolts that have almost new extra threads on the front/back make it a pain
  • The Smartcap should err on the side of gasket to the very edge on the cabside bends, this made it very difficult to fit the brackets down, but if you know in advance, it will be fine
  • The Decked Brackets conflict with the Smartcap brackets. This was a judgement call, but I ended up having to hacksaw down the front edges of the decked brackets, and then mount them directly to the RSI brackets on the cabside -- i can post pics later.
  • Lastly, the modifications to the DECKED top deck is pretty modest, and the easiest of the modifications (hacksawing through plastic was much easier than through metal, and/or drilling into the RSI brackets.
  • The Wiring Harness is still WIP - I think this is complicated by RSI being overseas and perhaps building this for the NZ/AUS spec of the global ranger. Ultimately RSI and Offroad-Alliance have been responsive and are getting it sorted for me, but it took some doing.
This was enough of a project, with enough lessons learned that I hope to post something a little more visual for those that follow in my path, but I'm glad with how it turned out. :D

DECKED and SMARTCAP.jpg

132461088_10102340210805610_5715503502476703740_o.jpg
132357357_10102340210900420_5818551743545468431_o.jpg
great mine arrives next week (have a bed rack fro sale now: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-for-5-bed-a-few-weeks-old.10662/#post-200742) . Can you post some close ups of the front fittings and what you had to change?

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Added a couple of LED strips inside the Smart Cap. Can select red (for night use) or white with a toggle switch and have a dimmer to control brightness. This is wired to the battery. Switch/dimmer are mounted on the vertical face of the ARB trim panel to the right of the drawer.
74F80163-2E17-40D2-93A4-4506DD1283A4.jpeg

52539C56-3E03-496C-BFBD-0FBE289F1D66.jpeg
Can you post a link tothe LED's? I presume you can choose any color?

RangerTaz

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Can you post a link tothe LED's? I presume you can choose any color?
I got 2 of these off Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KG409Y

These only have red and white colors. They aren’t the cheapest option, but I wanted separate control of red/white and I didn’t want a remote like most of the multicolor ones require. They also aren’t super bright, but good enough for my purposes.

I have both LED strips wired in parallel to the battery via this dimmer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y2XC225

and one of these on-on 6 pin toggle switches for changing between red and white:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJ7FYLF

I used the info on connecting to battery and grounding from this thread:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/cheap-diy-bed-lighting.8658/

Cheers

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
I got 2 of these off Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KG409Y

These only have red and white colors. They aren’t the cheapest option, but I wanted separate control of red/white and I didn’t want a remote like most of the multicolor ones require. They also aren’t super bright, but good enough for my purposes.

I have both LED strips wired in parallel to the battery via this dimmer:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y2XC225

and one of these on-on 6 pin toggle switches for changing between red and white:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJ7FYLF

I used the info on connecting to battery and grounding from this thread:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/cheap-diy-bed-lighting.8658/

Cheers
Awesome. Thanks for detailed info

foursquare

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLR
In the front, I tried mounting the Decked Bracket on top of the RSI bracket and realized a problem: a) The RSI bracket blocked the space for the nut on the DECKED, b) To install the nut would require drilling through the nut, and c) the stacking would actually potentially be causing mis-alignment, and d) If i was going to drill, then the Decked Bracket was really unncessary.

IMG_0731.jpg

So I decided to continue to build the decked, and use that as my guide for a direct mount. I used a cork coaster as a buffer pad for final install:

IMG_0759.jpg

Additionally, when you try to mount the Decked forward brackets, there is a small stamped flange that then hits the RSI bracket.

IMG_0754.jpg

I chose to hacksaw and file this smooth. Probably would have been faster with an angle grinder:

IMG_0756.jpg

There are also some small bits of the top DECKED layer that conflict with the RSI brackets. Here is the trimming from up Front:

IMG_0773.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

And from the back:
IMG_0767.jpg

Fit:

IMG_0768.jpg

There were moments that I actually forgot about the overlap because I had been so pre-occupied and busy with the trimming and fitting of all of the metal pieces. In those absent-minded moments, I couldnt figure out why it was so hard to get the DECKED pieces to align. But once I got all four corners trimmed it all came together just fine.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
In the front, I tried mounting the Decked Bracket on top of the RSI bracket and realized a problem: a) The RSI bracket blocked the space for the nut on the DECKED, b) To install the nut would require drilling through the nut, and c) the stacking would actually potentially be causing mis-alignment, and d) If i was going to drill, then the Decked Bracket was really unncessary.

IMG_0731.jpg

So I decided to continue to build the decked, and use that as my guide for a direct mount. I used a cork coaster as a buffer pad for final install:

IMG_0759.jpg

Additionally, when you try to mount the Decked forward brackets, there is a small stamped flange that then hits the RSI bracket.
Thanks for info. Should be installing mine this weekend.

Have two questions:

1. Couldn't you just use the decked bracket and drill through the RSI bracket?
  2. What was the purpose of the cork coaster (didn't understand your description)

Thanks
Mark

foursquare

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLR
Thanks for info. Should be installing mine this weekend.

Have two questions:

1. Couldn't you just use the decked bracket and drill through the RSI bracket?
  2. What was the purpose of the cork coaster (didn't understand your description)

Thanks
Mark
You *can* use the decked bracket but you run into a few issues:
  1. Stacking the brackets actually pushes the whole effectively 2-4mm towards the center of the bed, so stacking does not maintain the original intended dimensions for mounting.
  2. I can't remember how long the bolts were, but they might not be long enough from bolt head <-> nut to accommodate the additional width.
  3. By stacking the brackets you are placing additional stress on the original tie down threaded insert. Most likely not consequential, but given that the cap is also taking this weight, keeping the cap bracket securely down felt like a priority.
The coasters were a judgement call on my part.... I don't know if there would have been a squeak-squeak-squeak while riding down a highway, but I didn't want to regret not having it there once it was fully assembled. A piece of leather, or a rubber or plastic washer could also work, but I didn't have anything that large (e.g. a rubber fender washer?) Its not the prettiest, but keep in mind it's out of site.

Hope your install goes well! Feel free to reach out on PM if you need some Facetime help on it.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
You *can* use the decked bracket but you run into a few issues:
  1. Stacking the brackets actually pushes the whole effectively 2-4mm towards the center of the bed, so stacking does not maintain the original intended dimensions for mounting.
  2. I can't remember how long the bolts were, but they might not be long enough from bolt head <-> nut to accommodate the additional width.
  3. By stacking the brackets you are placing additional stress on the original tie down threaded insert. Most likely not consequential, but given that the cap is also taking this weight, keeping the cap bracket securely down felt like a priority.
The coasters were a judgement call on my part.... I don't know if there would have been a squeak-squeak-squeak while riding down a highway, but I didn't want to regret not having it there once it was fully assembled. A piece of leather, or a rubber or plastic washer could also work, but I didn't have anything that large (e.g. a rubber fender washer?) Its not the prettiest, but keep in mind it's out of site.

Hope your install goes well! Feel free to reach out on PM if you need some Facetime help on it.
thanks for clarification!

tehschkott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Cat herder
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the ARB drawer (RDRF1355 + half of the MA19FKEK side floor kit) with the RSI cap installed
38B90C4E-A33E-4BC5-A03C-866FFA486986.jpeg

I had to notch out 2 of 3 side floor panels to make room for the RSI mounting brackets. I separated the carpet from the plywood, cut out the notch with a saw, then glued the carpet back in place and trimmed off any excess.
35F0ABA5-8E8D-46EF-AB5B-48932EC56175.jpeg

C6EA5E6D-8BE4-46D1-957A-E770E1AFC210.jpeg

When I park at home, I back up pretty close to a wall, so don't have room to pull the drawer all the way out. A nice feature of the roller floor version of the drawer is I can access the back of the drawer (towards the front of the truck) through the side window without having to pull it all the way out. Just need enough space to open up the tail gate. I'm also quite tall (6'5") - this may not work for everyone!
98D79ECB-3206-426B-B8BC-7FFD9AD770F7.jpeg

In other news, the harness RSI sent for the 3rd brake light doesn't work with the LED taillights. I ended up getting it spliced into the taillights.
Oh. Crap. That half-drawer system is, I'm not even kidding, precisely the thing I'm building right now. I did not realize someone made it commercially or I'd have gone that direction. I don't have anywhere to do this work and have to borrow shops/garages of my friends - I live in an apartment - so it's been a big pain in the ass. I'd give it up and go this direction now except I just yesterday received the last of my materials I need to build it.

Bah

(Sorry, I know this is about the RSI Smartcap)

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Oh. Crap. That half-drawer system is, I'm not even kidding, precisely the thing I'm building right now. I did not realize someone made it commercially or I'd have gone that direction. I don't have anywhere to do this work and have to borrow shops/garages of my friends - I live in an apartment - so it's been a big pain in the ass. I'd give it up and go this direction now except I just yesterday received the last of my materials I need to build it.

Bah

Keep us posted, I want to see what you make.

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment

Bah

I'm planning on building something similar, but for $1200, the ARB drawer is kinda of pricey
Sponsored