First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
The only problem with this practice is that if the rotor already has uneven pad material deposited onto it, this method will just exacerbate it.
The uneven build up of material needs to be removed/leved first. Otherwise this method is only going to make the pulsing worse.

I do recommend this as a great new pad/rotor bed-in procedure though!
If the pads are uneven and/or the rotors are warped you will be either swapping them out or cutting the rotors anyway. I offer up this suggestion as a possible fix that will help you avoid being bent over by the dealer. Even if it is covered under warranty I still would prefer that nobody puts their hands on my stuff but me!!!
Sponsored

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
They have spent more time in labor, diagnosis, phone calls, and paperwork than it would have taken to eat the cost and fix it right.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Ya huh..

Agreed. Loveland Ford, Loveland,Co.
Almost bought a Ranger there.

Had an awesome price listed online, made an appointment. When I pulled in he had it up front with a big "Demo" sticker in the windshield that was not in the pictures. Dude said it "only" has 3k miles on it, that's why it's such a good deal. While I was hemming and hawing he offered to match that price on one transfered in. I said, if that's the case your "demo" price is a sham, and walked away.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
12k on 2020 FX4, truck shutters upon moderate braking over 40mph, NOT a tow vehicle. Truck brought to local Ford dealer, mechanic verifies rear rotors warped. Service mgr calls and explains situation, state’s no work can be performed without authorization from Ford, most likely rotors will be machined and used pads put back on. So nice that I have to make multiple trips back to the dealer to have this half assed worked performed. Truck should get new rotors and pads period, no reputable mechanic would ever machine rotors on their personal vehicle, let alone reuse the original pads. I’ve had a few other issues with this truck, although minor, I get the same bullshit penny pinching responses. So nice to know the 36k bumper to bumper warranty is only there to do the bare minimum to get it past the maturity date. Rant off.:angry:
Every Ford I have owned has had rotors warp early on, other manufacturers have the issue too, some of the issue that I understand is that we no longer use asbestos in the pads but its probably crappy material. I have replaced mine with Brembo or some other brand and the problem goes away! I also tend to buy better pads as well. This is what I have done in the past, dont know if it will work for you. Once they trim material off of the rotor its is thinner and will warp again, only sooner. Best to replace than machine. IMHO. I agree, Ford should replace, but I doubt they will.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't had warping issues, but I've been fighting on/off with rear brake squealing almost since I left the lot. They've resurfaced the back rotors 3 different times with 3 new sets of pads (5000 miles in 02/20, 7500 miles in 03/20, 9500 miles in 05/20). The issue is still around and still pretty consistent. However I can't get it completely fixed because of the dust in all the trails around me means that a lot of it is transfer to the brakes that needs to burn off, but even after it does, the squealing continues, just not as constant.

At this point I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I don't necessarily want to go aftermarket, since basically everything in that market is drilled or slotted, which is even worse for warping, especially in high heat situations (there's a reason that you don't see them in race applications), and I really don't want to spend money to fix something that Ford really should have solved.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
aftermarket stuff isnt all drilled and slotted, but how new is the truck can the brakes be considered lemon law catergory lol?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
aftermarket stuff isnt all drilled and slotted, but how new is the truck can the brakes be considered lemon law catergory lol?
No, you're right it's not, but a good majority of it is right now. I bought mine new with 34 miles back in Nov '19. This almost certainly won't qualify as lemon law, and over some brakes which they really just need to replace the damn rotors and pads together on isn't worth it for me.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
ya i mean might really just have to bite the bullet, and either bring to another ford dealer or get aftermarket rotors / pads and move on. chances are its not the rotors or pads causing the issue and ford only give them so much money for diagnosing the problem etc. Its the same kind of deal with lemon law cars going through 5 engines before they buy them back. ford has to approve all the bullshit and cuts corners for the dealers.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
also i think brake upgrades aren't a bad deal with the ranger brakes being pretty mediocre, maybe even stainless braided lines while your at it.

scubasteve278

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger FX4
Occupation
Power System Operator
I have 19,000 km (about 11,800 miles for non-Canadians) on my '20 Ranger and never noticed that I had a issue with my rear brakes. Took it to the dealer for a scheduled oil change and they ended up replacing the rear pads and rotors no questions asked, and stated that the rear right caliper was sticking and the inside pad was already down to 40%. This was surprising to me because I never felt any pulsing or shuddering when braking, but they had it done within 2 hours so no complaints from me. This was Nelson Ford in BC, Canada. I've been impressed with the detailed inspection they do both times ive brought my truck in for an oil change

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
aftermarket pads have been a must on all my vehicles after teh first 10k miles they are miles better for cheap honestly. better braking less dust win win

OP
OP
Waxthis

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Official word just in today from Ford. Dealer was told to turn rotors and use existing brake pads.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Official word just in today from Ford. Dealer was told to turn rotors and use existing brake pads.
It's super frustrating. My dealer has been fighting with Ford about it too when I've dealt with them and won't just eat the cost themselves. Which I understand.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I bought my 19’ as a dealer demo with 2500 miles on it. When I drove it home I had bad shake when using the brakes. Took it back and they turned down the rotors (hind site I should have had them replace the rotors and pads). The shake came back now at 20k. I decided to replace pads and rotors myself. Didn’t want to go to the dealer and have them say “pads and rotors aren’t covered.” All went good except for the right rear caliper. Piston froze and would not go in. Yes I have the correct tool too. Have a new caliper coming today. Makes me wonder if this caliper was causing my braking issue. Who knows!

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
You have Ford to thank for the dealer's penny pinching. Ford's warranty process is horrible for dealers and dealers have to follow basically a paperwork and approvals nightmare. This, I think, is why I've noticed that some dealers will provided far better service to people with their extended warranties... because the extended warranty company is actually more likely to approve work!
Sponsored