First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
12k on 2020 FX4, truck shutters upon moderate braking over 40mph, NOT a tow vehicle. Truck brought to local Ford dealer, mechanic verifies rear rotors warped. Service mgr calls and explains situation, state’s no work can be performed without authorization from Ford, most likely rotors will be machined and used pads put back on. So nice that I have to make multiple trips back to the dealer to have this half assed worked performed. Truck should get new rotors and pads period, no reputable mechanic would ever machine rotors on their personal vehicle, let alone reuse the original pads. I’ve had a few other issues with this truck, although minor, I get the same bullshit penny pinching responses. So nice to know the 36k bumper to bumper warranty is only there to do the bare minimum to get it past the maturity date. Rant off.:angry:
Sponsored

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
12k on 2020 FX4, truck shutters upon moderate braking over 40mph, NOT a tow vehicle. Truck brought to local Ford dealer, mechanic verifies rear rotors warped. Service mgr calls and explains situation, state’s no work can be performed without authorization from Ford, most likely rotors will be machined and used pads put back on. So nice that I have to make multiple trips back to the dealer to have this half assed worked performed. Truck should get new rotors and pads period, no reputable mechanic would ever machine rotors on their personal vehicle, let alone reuse the original pads. I’ve had a few other issues with this truck, although minor, I get the same bullshit penny pinching responses. So nice to know the 36k bumper to bumper warranty is only there to do the bare minimum to get it past the maturity date. Rant off.:angry:
Bumper to bumper meaning just the bumpers ? hope you can give them some words and get it fixed right.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
What dealership? With only 12k I'm surprised they don't just bolt on all new parts.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
What dealership? With only 12k I'm surprised they don't just bolt on all new parts.
Yes rotors aren't even an expensive part few hundred bucks and minimal labor to replace kind of a weird deal for defective rotors or caliper issue from ford.

OP
OP
Waxthis

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Also could see if you could just get the cash from the replacement and put aftermarket plenty of nice rotors and pads that improve performance and 10x less dust for much less than you'd think.

Reactions: Doc

Polaris130

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger xlt
Actually nothing wrong with resurfacing rotors as long as its done properly. But slapping the same brake pads on a new shaved rotor is s nono because the pattern is on the pad and it will copy paste onto the new shaved rotor. Need new pads

OP
OP
Waxthis

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Bumper to bumper meaning just the bumpers ? hope you can give them some words and get it fixed right.
Ya huh..
Also could see if you could just get the cash from the replacement and put aftermarket plenty of nice rotors and pads that improve performance and 10x less dust for much less than you'd think.
If the official response from Ford is to do as I mentioned, I was thinking about bringing in a set of pads and rotors for them to toss on. Being they are taking the old ones off I would assume there would be no charge to do this. I’m also going to see if they can replace the eco boost emblem with this one. A new trim line, to honor Corporate Ford..:like:
C50F43C3-0574-44EF-81D0-A1A08345206A.jpeg

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Ya huh..

If the official response from Ford is to do as I mentioned, I was thinking about bringing in a set of pads and rotors for them to toss on. Being they are taking the old ones off I would assume there would be no charge to do this. I’m also going to see if they can replace the eco boost emblem with this one. A new trim line, to honor Corporate Ford..:like:
C50F43C3-0574-44EF-81D0-A1A08345206A.jpeg
I'm sure they'll love to do the emblem, and putting new rotors in my head is easier than fixing the old stuff that still might give you issues down the road

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Actually nothing wrong with resurfacing rotors as long as its done properly. But slapping the same brake pads on a new shaved rotor is s nono because the pattern is on the pad and it will copy paste onto the new shaved rotor. Need new pads
Re-surfacing means they machine material off the rotors. That means they'll warp even quicker next time. On a higher mileage truck, sure. But not on a truck with 12,000 miles.

I haven't seen any Ranger owners needing brakes, especially rear brakes, at 12,000 miles. Something is wrong here.

OP
OP
Waxthis

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Re-surfacing means they machine material off the rotors. That means they'll warp even quicker next time. On a higher mileage truck, sure. But not on a truck with 12,000 miles.

I haven't seen any Ranger owners needing brakes, especially rear brakes, at 12,000 miles. Something is wrong here.
Disclaimer: Dealership told me they are not sure if it’s one or both rear rotors are warped, but, I guess Fords policy is to resurface the rears first, and if problem persists do the fronts. I’m actually amazed they can’t figure out which one is bad. Just have to wait and hear back what the official word will be. Regardless, resurfacing is not gonna happen, and new pads will go on if I have to do it my self, done plenty of times in the past on prior vehicles. Rotors are cheap.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
They should just set-up a dial gauge and spin the rotor by hand and see how much run-out there is....not that hard and would only take 10 min per rotor, including removing the wheel. I guess common sense wasn't taught at their school.

berlow94

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 1987 BMW 325IS Track car, 1979 Mazda RX7
I would go to a different dealer.

I always thought my brake pedal was a little inconsistent on bite point, but never really did anything about it.
Brought my truck into Saratoga Ford in upstate NY for an oil change and mentioned that the brakes were pulsing.

No questions asked, the replaced the rear pads and rotors under warranty. (I didn’t even buy my truck from them.)

To make sure that didn’t happen again they flushed the brake system and discovered an air bubble in the front brakes. The air bubble was causing the rears to grab before the front.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
This sounds wrong, should be replaced. I feel a little pulsating just before
the truck stops. Hope I remember to ask about this at first oil change.
1 reason I dislike auto trans is having the engine 'push' as your stopping.

Reactions: Doc

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I am having a similar issue. I will probably just end up replacing the pads and rotors with aftermarket ones myself......but having issues finding decent ones.
Sponsored