Rostra Cruise Control - Any experiences?

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Can't speak for the aftermarket but i can say the XLT is a nice pavkage overall. I prefer it over the Lariat. Not to much extra garbage and just the right amount of comfort/ convenience.
That 'garbage' is nice to have and can be very useful. Once you own a Lariat you won't want a plebian Ranger - low caste for sure.

Now, the decontented 2022 Lariat is a different story.....
Sponsored

OP
OP
Azhang253

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
That 'garbage' is nice to have and can be very useful. Once you own a Lariat you won't want a plebian Ranger - low caste for sure.

Now, the decontented 2022 Lariat is a different story.....
:crackup: True, my Ranger test drive was a Lariat and it was NIIIIIIIIIIIICEEEE. Actually, all the mid-size trucks I test drove were loaded (The Colorado was SUPER nice, but i don't want that 8L45). But, it's hard to justify the extra cost for some niceties that I can accomplish, for the most part, with a magnetic phone dash mount. Of course, with the exception of cruise control haha, hence this thread xD

Hell, I've been able to find new higher "Caste" Rangers on the lot for MSRP, but I'm too cheap. Guess I'm just a dirty pleb.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to order a 2023 Ranger, preferable ASAP (need a vehicle capable of rear facing child seat by March, I currently drive a 2Dr Jeep). The dealer reports that the XL 101A package, which is the one I really want, is on commodity hold with no end in sight, so I'm stuck between jumping up to an XLT or getting a 100A.

The only thing I'm really going to miss on the 100A is cruise control. Over at the Maverick forum, many folks have ordered the XL and used the Rostra cruise control module to great effect. I see that Rostra has a module that is for the 2019+ Rangers as well, but I cannot find any user experiences with it, so I'm wondering, has anyone here tried one?

If the Rostra works, then I see no issue saving a couple thousand bucks getting the 100A over the XLT, since I don't really care about the electric convenience stuff (my JK has no power anything).
We installed hundreds of Rostra cruise controls from '88-2008 , mainly for auto dealerships and only remember a few minor issues . After they switched from vacuum to electronic servo units I don't think we ever had any issues .

If a dealership gives you any crap about warranty just do some digging , they probably outfit a lot of their lower end vehicles with them also .

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I have one in my 2012 Ford Focus. It works OK but not great. My biggest complaint is that when I go down hill (even small ones), the engine seems to rev and not go faster (almost like the transmission goes to neutral). My assumption is that is the vehicle not the unit. So I push and hold the Coast button when going down hilll
Possibly I fail to understand what you mean, but it sounds like you Want the vehicle to go faster when going down a hill. Cruise Control is designed to prevent this very thing from happening., it maintains the speed you have set.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
cruise control is essential for me on a vehicle.

I don't use it a ton living in the mountains nowadays (maybe that's a case for adaptive cruise, though). but long road trips - for sure.

I don't have any comments on aftermarket cruise. never used one. my last manual trans car even had cruise, and that was a treat for me.

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
I bought an XL 100A and added the factory cruise control myself. I bought a XLT steering wheel off ebay. Takes about 10 minutes to swap the wheel and another 10 to change some settings in Forscan. Works just like factory.

OP
OP
Azhang253

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
I bought an XL 100A and added the factory cruise control myself. I bought a XLT steering wheel off ebay. Takes about 10 minutes to swap the wheel and another 10 to change some settings in Forscan. Works just like factory.
Cool! You didn't need to get any other modules? Just an XLT steering wheel? Any issues with clockspring/airbag?

Something tells me that the dealership is not going to like that haha.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Possibly I fail to understand what you mean, but it sounds like you Want the vehicle to go faster when going down a hill. Cruise Control is designed to prevent this very thing from happening., it maintains the speed you have set.
No what I am saying is that when the vehicle goes down hill it appears like the transmission goes into neutral and the engine revs higher.
Not sure why you think I would want the vehicle to go faster?

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
if you really want a 101A have you considered a CPO one? There are a few out there....noy sure how the pricing compares to new.

1663089277378.png

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
Cool! You didn't need to get any other modules? Just an XLT steering wheel? Any issues with clockspring/airbag?

Something tells me that the dealership is not going to like that haha.
The clockspring spring stays behind the steering wheel so you don't have to mess with it and the airbag just snaps in.
1. I disconnected the battery.
2. There's 2 holes on the back of the steering wheel I pushed an allen wrench onto to unclip the airbag then unplug it's 2 connecectors. Then set it off to the side.
3. Unplug the 2 connectors for the steering wheel buttons.
4. Remove 1 bolt and the steering wheel comes off.

After you put the new wheel on. You have to use Forscan to change settings in 3 modules.
BCM (body control module)
IPC (instrument panel cluster)
SCCM(steering column control module)

Just change the cruise control options from disable to enable.
For some reason on the IPC I had to tell it I had adaptive cruise even though I don't or I got an error.
If you use different buttons than factory you can select the new switches under SCCM.

Last edited:

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Does your Focus have the dual clutch transmission? Does the CC maintain the correct speed when going down hill?
Yes, it has the dual clutch transmission, which I understand as basically the gearing for a manual transmission that shifts like an auto transmission.
No it doesn't properly maintain speed. As I said it appears like the transmission goes into neutral and the engine revs. If I put my foot into the gas, it just revs more.
So I just push the Coast button to alleviate this.
I am not trying to diagnose this, just posting my experience.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Cruise control is an option in 2022?! How about power brakes, AC, heat and powered windows? ?

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Yes, it has the dual clutch transmission, which I understand as basically the gearing for a manual transmission that shifts like an auto transmission.
No it doesn't properly maintain speed. As I said it appears like the transmission goes into neutral and the engine revs. If I put my foot into the gas, it just revs more.
So I just push the Coast button to alleviate this.
I am not trying to diagnose this, just posting my experience.
So the car is coasting out of control on downhill grades with the CC activated? Trying to gain some solid insight here beyond 'engine just revs'......

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Cruise control is an option in 2022?! How about power brakes, AC, heat and powered windows? ?
Recalling the last year Mustang was available with manual windows: 1997. I recall seeing a completely basic, no option 1959 Thunderbird. 3 speed column shift, no power nuthin, blackwall tires and hubcaps. Dang....
Sponsored