Cruise Control After Shutoff

Shavlik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a way to keep cruise control on even after the vehicle shuts off and back on? So all you have to do is hit set to set the speed without having to turn cruise on then hit set?
Sponsored

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a way to keep cruise control on even after the vehicle shuts off and back on? So all you have to do is hit set to set the speed without having to turn cruise on then hit set?
In FORDs I don't think so, but in my CHEV work pick up the cruise stays on and all I have to do is set speed each trip. It's just something I'm used to. I just know when I get in each vehicle what is required.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
a lot of manufacturers shut cruise off each time. it's annoying. :)

Johnpenn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
Dont you think it would be dangerous to not reset itself?
Imagine...hitting the button while thinking your scrolling through the radio channel as you approach a school crosswalk, and holy f*ck batman, here we go to its last setting from the freeway.
Dont be lazy. It's that way for safety
On Chevys it doesn't save the previous speed setting, only whether cruise is on or off. Not a problem for safety.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi,

This sounds like more of a Corporate philosophy that anything else. I personally see no advantage to not having to turn on Cruise each time....That said, my motorhome on the Freightliner chassis has cruise on all the time... Works either way for me...sort of a nit...no BFD...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Not to belabor this point. As someone who studies human error it is a safety concern. Since moving cruise control from the stick to the steering wheel it is much easier to inadvertently but the vehicle into cruise at whatever speed it is traveling. Thus the need for a two step process. Class A motorhomes are a completely different beast as they don't have to follow the same rules i.e. Airbags.

Last edited:

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not to belabor this point. As someone who studies human error it is a safety concern. Since moving cruise control from the stick to the steering wheel it is much easier to inadvertently but the vehicle into cruise at whatever speed it is traveling. Thus the need for a two step process. Class A motorhomes are a completely different beast as they don't have to follow the same rules i.e. Airbags.
In my case there's a safety concern when I hit the set button and then the car slows down because I haven't turned it on yet again. :)

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
In my case there's a safety concern when I hit the set button and then the car slows down because I haven't turned it on yet again. :)
I appreciate that. As I get older that forgetting thing happens more frequently. Humans are far from perfect machines. Error happens in several forms. Adding the additional step eliminates some forms of error, but it can create others as you have eluded to. Then it becomes a matter of weighing which risk of error leads to the lowest magnitude and probability of occurrence.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I appreciate that. As I get older that forgetting thing happens more frequently. Humans are far from perfect machines. Error happens in several forms. Adding the additional step eliminates some forms of error, but it can create others as you have eluded to. Then it becomes a matter of weighing which risk of error leads to the lowest magnitude and probability of occurrence.
Or, you let people have more control over configuring their environment the way it works the best for them. But that takes more effort.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
NOT positive this is the case in the Ranger, but if the cruse control uses a relay, you might look for a relay with normally closed contacts to energize the system and replay the one with normally open contacts.
Sponsored