Rostra Cruise Control - Any experiences?

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to order a 2023 Ranger, preferable ASAP (need a vehicle capable of rear facing child seat by March, I currently drive a 2Dr Jeep). The dealer reports that the XL 101A package, which is the one I really want, is on commodity hold with no end in sight, so I'm stuck between jumping up to an XLT or getting a 100A.

The only thing I'm really going to miss on the 100A is cruise control. Over at the Maverick forum, many folks have ordered the XL and used the Rostra cruise control module to great effect. I see that Rostra has a module that is for the 2019+ Rangers as well, but I cannot find any user experiences with it, so I'm wondering, has anyone here tried one?

If the Rostra works, then I see no issue saving a couple thousand bucks getting the 100A over the XLT, since I don't really care about the electric convenience stuff (my JK has no power anything).
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Personally , I wouldn't want anything 3rd party like that hooked up to my MAIN electronics of the truck , and it will void your warranty I imagine , and ANY electrical issues with the truck the dealer is gona put the blame there most likely... just my 2 cents , which adjusted to inflation is way more now ...

OP
OP
Azhang253

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Personally , I wouldn't want anything 3rd party like that hooked up to my MAIN electronics of the truck , and it will void your warranty I imagine , and ANY electrical issues with the truck the dealer is gona put the blame there most likely... just my 2 cents , which adjusted to inflation is way more now ...
My thoughts too, was trying to talk myself into it :( I'll wire up lights, fans, lockers, ect up all day, but was wary of tapping into all the harnesses that the Rostra required, especially on a new Truck that still has warranty.

Guess I'll just wait for the commodity hold on 101A.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to order a 2023 Ranger, preferable ASAP (need a vehicle capable of rear facing child seat by March, I currently drive a 2Dr Jeep). The dealer reports that the XL 101A package, which is the one I really want, is on commodity hold with no end in sight, so I'm stuck between jumping up to an XLT or getting a 100A.

The only thing I'm really going to miss on the 100A is cruise control. Over at the Maverick forum, many folks have ordered the XL and used the Rostra cruise control module to great effect. I see that Rostra has a module that is for the 2019+ Rangers as well, but I cannot find any user experiences with it, so I'm wondering, has anyone here tried one?

If the Rostra works, then I see no issue saving a couple thousand bucks getting the 100A over the XLT, since I don't really care about the electric convenience stuff (my JK has no power anything).
A shame you didn't provide a link.....

Ford offered Ford branded, dealer installed kits in the 1980s for many applications. Unfortunately, I heard it was trouble prone after about a year - control module was junk I was told.

s-l640.jpeg

OP
OP
Azhang253

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:
OP
OP
Azhang253

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Interesting. If no one is reporting major failures I would take the chance. We've had CC on everything we've owned beginning in the late the 70's - a 'must have' IMO.
I was thinking that too, however; I'm also weighing in my mind the fact that the Maverick hasn't been out for long enough for people to report issues with the Rostra CC module. Other non-Maverick research that I've done is that the CC modules seem to be quite reliable, but they probably don't have much carryover, since I'm guessing the CAN bus signaling for different vehicles will be different. Being in the mid west, honestly, most of my miles are straight highway with no hills haha, so it's probably the easiest terrain for cruise control to manage.

rcairflr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Occupation
retired
Hi everyone,
, so I'm wondering, has anyone here tried one?
I have one in my 2012 Ford Focus. It works OK but not great. My biggest complaint is that when I go down hill (even small ones), the engine seems to rev and not go faster (almost like the transmission goes to neutral). My assumption is that is the vehicle not the unit. So I push and hold the Coast button when going down hilll

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
is the Jeep safe & dependable? I would be inclined to put the order in for the Ranger XL101A and wait, even a year, rather than do aftermarket cruise. In the past, add-on cruise was pretty simple: a vacuum servo hooked up to the throttle, tap into the brake light wire or fuse and an on/off switch. Nowadays, cruise also downshifts and upshifts the transmission, interacts with the anti skid, besides interacting with throttle position. For me, anything that involves "...Disconnrct the factory harness from the Engine Control Module..." I'd be skeptical.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I have one in my 2012 Ford Focus. It works OK but not great. My biggest complaint is that when I go down hill (even small ones), the engine seems to rev and not go faster (almost like the transmission goes to neutral). My assumption is that is the vehicle not the unit. So I push and hold the Coast button when going down hilll
The downshift is a "safety' thing to keep you from gaining or losing more than ~5mph on grades.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Rostra is top notch ,I'm not saying that , just with the state of dealer service departments , you add something like that too new truck , they may not want to touch it ... BUT most likely , they won't have to as it's probably fine ,if ya gotta have cruise , then ya gotta have cruise ,i have never had mine on and not even sure it works , tbh...

OP
OP
Azhang253

Azhang253

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK
Occupation
Network Engineer
Thanks for the feedback! And the Rostra will tap into the same components on the Ranger as well.

is the Jeep safe & dependable? I would be inclined to put the order in for the Ranger XL101A and wait, even a year, rather than do aftermarket cruise. In the past, add-on cruise was pretty simple: a vacuum servo hooked up to the throttle, tap into the brake light wire or fuse and an on/off switch. Nowadays, cruise also downshifts and upshifts the transmission, interacts with the anti skid, besides interacting with throttle position. For me, anything that involves "...Disconnrct the factory harness from the Engine Control Module..." I'd be skeptical.
Yes, the JK safe-ish (as safe as JK's are, i guess) and dependable. But, it's been pretty built for offroad and I don't have the stock parts anymore, so it's not very street friendly. The main problem is that I need a vehicle that I can put a rear facing child car seat and infant car seat and that's definitely not a 2DR jeep. I have a Grand Cherokee too, and that's safe, but not exactly dependable anymore (in fact, I'd have to do an engine+trans swap, which I can do, but it's annoying lol). However; I see that the Maverick MY23 order bank will open soon.... decisions...decisions! At the moment, I can't order a Ranger XL 101A, it's on commodity hold.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Can't speak for the aftermarket but i can say the XLT is a nice pavkage overall. I prefer it over the Lariat. Not to much extra garbage and just the right amount of comfort/ convenience.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Does your Focus have the dual clutch transmission? Does the CC maintain the correct speed when going down hill?
Sponsored