First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Basically Retired
Hopefully not towing a 5th wheel with the Ranger?????

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired.
Sometimes I get some funny comments when its parked in front of my 5th wheel. But that is what my 2017 F350 dually is for, and pull she does.
Ron

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
Great photos, thank you very much!
Iā€™ll point out that the photos he posted are of the Shrockworks sliders. I wanted to clarify as you were asking about the Rocky Road sliders. I have the Shrockworks sliders and theyā€™re amazing. Iā€™m not sure how the mounting looks on the rocky road.

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Iā€™ll point out that the photos he posted are of the Shrockworks sliders. I wanted to clarify as you were asking about the Rocky Road sliders. I have the Shrockworks sliders and theyā€™re amazing. Iā€™m not sure how the mounting looks on the rocky road.
Thanks, noted.

My truck came with a set of running boards with three attachment points each to the chassis, and I noted that the Shrockworks sliders have only two attachment points - do you feel that two are sufficient, and can you confirm that it's two bolts per attachment point? I see two in the photos above. Thanks.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, noted.

My truck came with a set of running boards with three attachment points each to the chassis, and I noted that the Shrockworks sliders have only two attachment points - do you feel that two are sufficient, and can you confirm that it's two bolts per attachment point? I see two in the photos above. Thanks.
Yes I think itā€™s absolutely sufficient. The running boards are only attaching to the body seam vs these attaching to the frame with heavy duty plates. Yes, there are two bolts per attachment point. I have no problem lifting my truck with them and they show zero flex when I do so.

2543443A-051B-4289-957D-51FFE3207EF2.jpeg

Randy2400h

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Sport FX4, 2015 Ford Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Pathung,

Hoosier is correct, I thought you were asking about the Shrockworks sliders. That is what both, Hoosier and I, have installed on our trucks. Comparing these rock sliders to running boards is a difficult because the way they attach to the truck is completely different, as is their primary purpose. Sliders obviously have a primary purpose to protect the truck, but they can also function as steps. Body mounted running boards will do very little (or nothing) to protect the truck but will work well as steps. In some cases running boards can get hung up on rocks, curbs, etc and can bend up into the body causing damage that wouldnā€™t have occurred if the running boards werenā€™t present. The shrockworks most definitely provide ample protection, and their mounting is SOLID; more mounting points would be overkill.

Personally, I want the rock sliders for some extra protection through a few patches of extra rocky trails I frequent. But I also donā€™t want running boards because Iā€™ve seen the damage they cause to the body when they take the first hit. Two times, Iā€™ve seen pickups with damage to the rocker panels after they went off the road and into a snow drift. The OEM running boards bent upwards and caused damage that arguably wouldnā€™t have happened without them.

Last edited:

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Rocky Road has three (3) attachment points each with 4 bolts. It seems really solid.
Hmmm Iā€™d like to see a picture of that. I donā€™t remember seeing 12 through-holes on each side of the frame. Also that seems completely unnecessary.

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Personally, I want the rock sliders for some extra protection through a few patches of extra rocky trails I frequent. But I also donā€™t want running boards because Iā€™ve seen the damage they cause to the body when they take the first hit. Two times, Iā€™ve seen pickups with damage to the rocker panels after they went off the road and into a snow drift. The OEM running boards bent upwards and caused damage that arguably wouldnā€™t have happened without them.
I agree with the inadequacy of running boards - unfortunately these came with my truck! I had a Nissan Frontier onto which I installed some rock sliders from White Knuckle Offroad - these were very well made, with thee bolts each to all three attachment points (hence my question about the Shrock's number of attachment points and bolts). The WKs did their job well, and protected my truck from numerous offroad rock scrapes/hits in California and Moab.

My Rocky Road has three (3) attachment points each with 4 bolts. It seems really solid.
I'd like to see photos of these as well. For the WK sliders on my old Nissan, I did have to drill holes in the frame, and attach sliders via self-tapping bolts.

Andrew

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport
Hello Everyone,

My name is Michael and I wanted to introduce myself. I work for a northern California fab shop called Heavy Metal Off Road which specializes in off road equipment for Toyota's and older Bronco's. I saw this thread regarding rock sliders, and I wanted to let everyone know we're in the process of mocking up a design for 100% bolt on rock sliders for the 5th Gen Ranger. They will be real rock sliders, bolt onto the frame, zero drilling required so they will not void any manufacturers warranty. They will also have a kick out, be made out of DOM tubing/steel, can be angled up 5 to 18 degrees, and will have top plates. I will be posting a first release group buy thread soon, but I wanted to see anyone were interested in this type of product? A down payment will not be required until we have a full working prototype that's been field tested which should take 3 months. Let me know if you're interested in being added to the initial release group buy. If you have any questions please feel free to call me or email me (Michael) at [email protected].

Michael
aka "theOverLandingDad"
Heavy Metal Off Road

I'm going to be working with BAMF who makes a killer slider for tacos/4runners. Here are some early mock ups -

We should know more come July!
Any updates on these?

Pathung

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Partly finished installing my Shrockworks sliders yesterday, and "partly" because I noticed that I was short a "stick nut"; this is a nut that is welded to a bendable metal stick, to go inside a frame tube in order to capture an incoming bolt (the set of sliders requires three of these stick nuts, while a fourth bolt simply uses the transfer case shield's existing threaded hole). I called the vendor this morning and they'll be sending me the missing nut this week.

These sliders are good looking; I like that they're subtle, and hug closely to the rockers.

MzHA71C.jpg

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT - FX4, 302A, Tow pkg. 2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE
Vehicle Showcase
Shrockworks Group Buy 2nd Run!

Guys, I have spoken to Mark at Shrockworks and he is open to running another group buy for the forum members for both the sliders and the skid plates.

We would need a commitment of 15 minimum orders (either skids or sliders) for him to release us a 15% discount.

To get on the list (serious interest only) please PM me letting me know youā€™re in. I will edit this post in the Shrockworks Group Buy forum and add the list of all user names who contact me.

Hopefully we reach the minimum order and can get the discount code released ASAP. IF we reach the goal, to apply the discount code, go to the Shrockworks website https://www.shrockworks.com/Ford and enter the code in at checkout in the Coupon Code section a the bottom of the page.

Thanks!

**Standard disclaimer: I am NOT a vendor and Iā€™m NOT affiliated with Shrockworks. Iā€™m simply organizing this group buy for the Ranger 5G community. If you have questions feel free to reach out directly or let me know and Iā€™ll try to run down an answer.

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger
Bamf said he could not do any Ford stuff at this time, so let's go shrock group buy

jerrywin

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport supercrew
Shrockworks Group Buy 2nd Run!

Guys, I have spoken to Mark at Shrockworks and he is open to running another group buy for the forum members for both the sliders and the skid plates.

We would need a commitment of 15 minimum orders (either skids or sliders) for him to release us a 15% discount.

To get on the list (serious interest only) please PM me letting me know youā€™re in. I will edit this post in the Shrockworks Group Buy forum and add the list of all user names who contact me.

Hopefully we reach the minimum order and can get the discount code released ASAP. IF we reach the goal, to apply the discount code, go to the Shrockworks website https://www.shrockworks.com/Ford and enter the code in at checkout in the Coupon Code section a the bottom of the page.

Thanks!

**Standard disclaimer: I am NOT a vendor and Iā€™m NOT affiliated with Shrockworks. Iā€™m simply organizing this group buy for the Ranger 5G community. If you have questions feel free to reach out directly or let me know and Iā€™ll try to run down an answer.
this is of interest to me, but not the best timing. If it takes a while to get to 15, maybe it will hit for me.
Sponsored