Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Looking for help.
Im ready to make a gear swap in the ranger to 4:10. I’ve really exhausted my self over the past week attempting to find the correct part number. Reaching out to several places and hours of internet time. I’ve come up empty handed. It’s been suggested by Stage 3 motorsports and the pinion shop. That the stock 3:73 replacement gear set is identical to the Jeep Gladiator. Stage 3 even lists the stock replacement as part number. DAN10062017. Quick search and it’s the same as the Jeep’s Dana 44. Tempted to order the 4:10 gear set from the same PN list. But trying to avoid down time if it’s not correct. Not to mention returning it ect. I’ll post the part number list that I’ve seen. Thanks

image.jpg
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
The ring is welded to the carrier, so you're in for a bad time if you were thinking of just getting a ring and pinion set.

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
Those gears will work, but there's some HUGE issues right now.

Technically, yes, Dana Gears for the M220s will fit the Rangers with an M220.

However, there are currently no install install kits for the Rangers as of yet, and from our understanding, there are some differences in bearings/shims/crush sleeves/pinion nut between the Rangers.

Secondly, the rear gears are welded to the carrier, to they will need to be cut off. We STRONGLY recommend a professional install and budgeting for a replacement diff in case things go pear-shaped.

Most importantly, there aren't 4.10 fronts for that 29-spline Ford Clamshell IFS yet, so if you have 4WD that you actually want to use, doing gears probably isn't in your best interest.

OP
OP
SVT-Raptor

SVT-Raptor

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks for the reply. Very much appreciate the info.

Jason, very pleased to hear that the gears will work. I had a good feeling but definitely wanted to confirm. I did measure the ring gear and bolt spacing. It’s identical to the Jeep. But have not removed my pinion. I was concerned that the machining on the pinion may have been different between the 2.

There is a ton of conflicting information on the welded differential...... This is what I have personally verified.

-The standard non locking differential has a welded ring gear from the factory. ( fuel mileage was apparently the reason. Less rotating weight along with less drag from the bolt heads splashing thru gear oil ) Or cost savings?

The optional factory E locker does have a removable bolted ring gear. So swaps should be straight forward. Again, this is my 2019 and I have confirmed this when measuring up the stock gear. ITS POSSIBLE... that some of the E lockers are welded? I’ve been told both ways by reliable sources. But in my case, it’s bolted.

I have also ran into the same issue locating a install kit. In time I’m sure it will be available. But as of today the only way to get the install kit is to buy a new E lock carrier from Ford. I’ve already have one here ready to go. It’s comes with everything. Install kit, new magnet, wire brackets, ring bolts, ect.

I’ll get a gear set ordered up! Thanks

My truck is 2wd...

Last edited:
OP
OP
SVT-Raptor

SVT-Raptor

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Forgot to mention. In the event you are upgrading from the standard welded non locking to the factory E locker. You would also need new axle shafts. Different spline count. Definitely a very Expensive swap!

Last edited:

OP
OP
SVT-Raptor

SVT-Raptor

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Just a quick update. I installed the 4:10 rear ( 2WD ) a few weeks ago. Took my time breaking in the new gears slowly. 500 miles later and a few dozen heat cycles.

Very pleased with the outcome. I run 32.4” tires and never liked the laziness the truck had while cruising. Even with the 10 speed trans and a livernois tune. -Freeway driving vastly improved. Holds 10th up minor hills, can pass effortlessly without the trans downshifting . I debated between 4:10 and 4:56. The 4:10s would give me a little more gear when compared to the stock tires. The 4:56s.. little overkill with the 10 speed and my tires.

Big difference in performance! WOT acceleration is night and day. I don’t have any data to support this. But it feels like it accelerates harder than it did with the stock 373 and stock tires. ?

Currently there is no options available for the four-wheel-drive crowd. Hopefully soon!

Yama_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Raptor Soon 2021 APG Ranger
Just a quick update. I installed the 4:10 rear ( 2WD ) a few weeks ago. Took my time breaking in the new gears slowly. 500 miles later and a few dozen heat cycles.

Very pleased with the outcome. I run 32.4” tires and never liked the laziness the truck had while cruising. Even with the 10 speed trans and a livernois tune. -Freeway driving vastly improved. Holds 10th up minor hills, can pass effortlessly without the trans downshifting . I debated between 4:10 and 4:56. The 4:10s would give me a little more gear when compared to the stock tires. The 4:56s.. little overkill with the 10 speed and my tires.

Big difference in performance! WOT acceleration is night and day. I don’t have any data to support this. But it feels like it accelerates harder than it did with the stock 373 and stock tires. ?

Currently there is no options available for the four-wheel-drive crowd. Hopefully soon!
Great update!

I'm near to sending my truck to APG which is now doing gears on the 4x4's. I'm going with 4:56's to compensate for the 35's.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Cool to see this stuff coming together. These will be potent off-road rigs with 35s and gears...

With the bronco launching soon this process in theory should be simpler moving forward. I think the install kits and the parts for the front will be available through Ford.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab

Any unexpected Snafus or lessons learned along the way with the swap! 4.10s would be awesome.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I Foresee New Bronco Sasquatch IFS front ends being installed (by individuals, with much fab work) into our gen Rangers in the future for extreme duty trail work. Ones we have now are not for hardcore use.

OP
OP
SVT-Raptor

SVT-Raptor

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanic
Any unexpected Snafus or lessons learned along the way with the swap! 4.10s would be awesome.
Great question. Currently Ford does not offer a install kit. . I’m sure in time there will be an install kit available. If you’re looking to swap gears now. My suggestion would be to buy another Dana gear set. Most of the Dana gear sets are produced with 0 etch on the pinion. 99.9% of the time you will not need to swap out the pinion bearing shim. Mine was identical on my 3:73 set up. If you do need another size shim. Go to your local Chrysler dealership and order shims individually from a newer Gladiator jeep. This also is true with side carrier shims. Ford does offer a shim kit but it’s severely overpriced at like $500 and only includes carrier shims. Our ring and pinion is identical to the gladiator. So all the shims will work perfect. However the carrier bearings and pinion bearings are Ford specific. So you will need to order those directly through Ford. My only other suggestion would to use some grease on the pinion nut when seating the new crush sleeve. Like always it a pain in the bum to get started. Rather than take a chance at stripping the threads. I slightly started mine in a press about .010 It helped a little. But was still in the 350-400 ft lbs to get started!!
If you have swapped gear sets before and are familiar with them. You’ll find the Dana’s to be very easy to work with. Their machining has come along way. There will be very little shimming required to get the proper pattern. ?
Sponsored

Last edited: