meistreguy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I said “retired “ my father was also a Ford mechanic that’s no longer with us… he used to rebuild engines when it was time to replace spark plugs on an old time schedule, not the 100 thousand miles today..

Yeah it’s a lost art today, I’m very thankful he taught me to rebuild automatic transmission like C4, C6, FMX etc.. and engines..

Also my dad would race stock cars, pre-NASCAR and win… us kids in the pits and home would help build those cars. A life lesson that will never be unlearned.

I do understand the skepticism but there really are real people working real problems today, not all are signed up to the corporate doctrine…

Appreciate the comments!!
I wish I could have met your dad! At 55 years old I have seen quite a few changes and turned the wrench as well but I am not a professional. One fine car I was able to work on was a 1987 Buick Grand National...I got to replace the water pump on it and drive it occasionally as it was my friend's car. I bet your dad had lots of cool and interesting stories!
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Our own resident expert has said many times these trucks during development go through a mountain of testing that really stresses all systems to see where improvements or defects are. Seriously, something like this would have displayed its own problematic behaviors long ago.
Yeah then explain to me how the poorly designed and problematic auto climate control units got thru this "mountain of testing" . Maybe they slipped thru the cracks into the valley of non testing.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah then explain to me how the poorly designed and problematic auto climate control units got thru this "mountain of testing" . Maybe they slipped thru the cracks into the valley of non testing.
Dtech,

big difference between poor quality parts and our testing prototypes for fit/function. It is called lack of process capability...

best,
Phil

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dtech,

big difference between poor quality parts and our testing prototypes for fit/function. It is called lack of process capability...

best,
Phil
Irrespective Ford owns the issue, be it a poor design or subpar quality from the vendor, assuming the part was properly designed to handle the stress it's subjected to then something was amiss with quality checks of the supplying vendor, if the latter is the case the contract for the part should have had address to remedy for supplying sub standard parts - instead the owner of out of warranty vehicle bears the burden. Somewhat similar occurrence with the airbag debacle, but since it's a safety issue the owners are spared the expense of replacing the airbags.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
thats the key.
in my line of work, manufacturing issues are the main cause of part failures, even though the original design is still true to its function and operates as such.
I'm sure Ford and everyone else factors in a failure rate of everything for these reasons.
some people just get lucky for the wrong reason
So assuming it's more than a random isolated failure - many companies will perform an analysis of failures to determine the root cause and then usually proceed to correct the issue - taking such action as a redesign, switch in vendors, change in specs, etc.
Unless someone has access to Ford insider information - one can never tell what occurred although I recall a few posts indication that Ford made changes to the design, I can't vouch for the accuracy of the info.
At one time I worked in manufacturing albeit a long time back but was familiar with industry standard quality control procedures, random quality testing, JIT and so on.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
God we all will bitch and moan about machinery we have an emotional attachment to. If it breaks in any way it’s the same as having a spouse cheat on us. Many factories and businesses have multi-hundred thousand and multi-million dollar machines that break down and need constant maintenance and nobody bats and eye. But our mass produced 30-40k truck doesn’t shift Once Exactly like we “experts” think it should and we loose our minds and it becomes some corporate conspiracy..

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's far from an inexpensive repair and these acc units have been around for decades - and in some cases failing for decades. So I'm happy to be one to bitch and moan - even though mine has yet to fail. If you have or have a chance to take a look at one - they aren't exactly robust in construction - most likely for meeting weight metrics.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
How did the question of Auto Start Stop causing premature piston ring wear turn into Automatic Climate Control failing?

I have had six vehicles now with ACC and they all have been flawless. They all haven't worked the way I would have liked them to but that is not a failure it just the way the engineers chose to design it.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Irrespective Ford owns the issue, be it a poor design or subpar quality from the vendor, assuming the part was properly designed to handle the stress it's subjected to then something was amiss with quality checks of the supplying vendor, if the latter is the case the contract for the part should have had address to remedy for supplying sub standard parts - instead the owner of out of warranty vehicle bears the burden. Somewhat similar occurrence with the airbag debacle, but since it's a safety issue the owners are spared the expense of replacing the airbags.
Doug, super easy to point out something doesn’t live up to expectations or standards. Finding the root cause takes time, effort, experience and some data. In this particular flaw, that not everyone experiences is something I’m sure Ford has investigated extensively now that reports of defect come rolling in. What caused it? Probably a cheaper base plastic material was used other than what was specified to boost profit of a vendor. The modules pass incoming inspection of meeting all criteria but do not show fault (warping) until used.

One of the things I do is mold plastic for medical devices. It changes over time and environment. We also use some pretty expensive raw materials because of this. There is a cost associated with that

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Huh? Pistons go up and down. What is “fully aligned” when engine is temporary off? Aligned to what? Just trying to understand.
I'm with you, I can't make heads nor tails of what the OP's brother is trying to say...

OP
OP
canyonslicker

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
How did the question of Auto Start Stop causing premature piston ring wear turn into Automatic Climate Control failing?

I have had six vehicles now with ACC and they all have been flawless. They all haven't worked the way I would have liked them to but that is not a failure it just the way the engineers chose to design it.
My brother told me line mechanics were trying to figure out why some engines were coming in with slightly cupped cylinders during rebuilding back when they would do that.. Over a period of time they discovered the same type engine with ASS exhibited most that failure. The same engine without it was very few.
Maybe the problem resolved itself with redesigns for economy. I think it’s a nonissue but certainly a head scratcher from the past.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
And what shall we name this thread of doom and gloom ? ?
And you know what else Budude? For an extra 3 lousy bucks and plug the damn thing in, this thread wouldn't exist on 5g.
Sponsored