First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
My brother a retired Ford mechanic told me today that in past the ASS would cause long term ring wear or abnormal cylinder wear causing “pockets” because of the start conditions where when cranked the pistons are not fully aligned as the motor is continually running…

Weird …
Sponsored

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Ford mechanics actually tear down engines? I am actually shocked on that when they couldn't figure out a chirping sound on a brand new truck - an internet forum had to help me solve that one. Started to think that most factory mechanics were like Army mechanics - install brand new assemblies vs actually get into the guts of anything.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Better trade it in now before the word gets around.
Pretty sure it also causes fuel in the oil, rough ride that requires new shocks, missing tie downs, chip shortages, pandemics, recessions...
I heard all that from my cousins, girlfriends, step-fathers uncle.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
… because of the start conditions where when cranked the pistons are not fully aligned as the motor is continually running…

Weird …

Huh? Pistons go up and down. What is “fully aligned” when engine is temporary off? Aligned to what? Just trying to understand.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Huh? Pistons go up and down. What is “fully aligned” when engine is temporary off? Aligned to what? Just trying to understand.
I think Mazda was trying to figure out how to auto start/stop without the starter. Using a more advanced crank/cam angle sensor setup. So it could possibly fire off on the next ready to go. Maybe something along those lines/they were working with Ford?! Mine uses the starter for sure. I can hear it.

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing to analyze here folks. The key to this is “retired” mechanic. He did not come up in his career with tech like this and he’s deathly afraid of it and spreads that fear around.

OP
OP
canyonslicker

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Ford mechanics actually tear down engines? I am actually shocked on that when they couldn't figure out a chirping sound on a brand new truck - an internet forum had to help me solve that one. Started to think that most factory mechanics were like Army mechanics - install brand new assemblies vs actually get into the guts of anything.
Ok I said “retired “ my father was also a Ford mechanic that’s no longer with us… he used to rebuild engines when it was time to replace spark plugs on an old time schedule, not the 100 thousand miles today..

Yeah it’s a lost art today, I’m very thankful he taught me to rebuild automatic transmission like C4, C6, FMX etc.. and engines..

Also my dad would race stock cars, pre-NASCAR and win… us kids in the pits and home would help build those cars. A life lesson that will never be unlearned.

I do understand the skepticism but there really are real people working real problems today, not all are signed up to the corporate doctrine…

Appreciate the comments!!

OP
OP
canyonslicker

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Nothing to analyze here folks. The key to this is “retired” mechanic. He did not come up in his career with tech like this and he’s deathly afraid of it and spreads that fear around.
? Too funny I’m still active in system design…. It ain’t old school either… I’ve got that covered…

Sorry, I’m just a blithering idiot…

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
? Too funny I’m still active in system design…. It ain’t old school either… I’ve got that covered…

Sorry, I’m just a blithering idiot…
Sorry, did not understand your response in the slightest. Possible alcohol influence?

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Ok I said “retired “ my father was also a Ford mechanic that’s no longer with us… he used to rebuild engines when it was time to replace spark plugs on an old time schedule, not the 100 thousand miles today..

Yeah it’s a lost art today, I’m very thankful he taught me to rebuild automatic transmission like C4, C6, FMX etc.. and engines..

Also my dad would race stock cars, pre-NASCAR and win… us kids in the pits and home would help build those cars. A life lesson that will never be unlearned.

I do understand the skepticism but there really are real people working real problems today, not all are signed up to the corporate doctrine…

Appreciate the comments!!
Respect for the old school types, so good point there. The shop I trust to touch my vehicles is full of them. You can tell things are right when you walk in and three old timers are almost always sitting around with a coffee mug bullshitting with the desk guy (who is a retired wrench turner).

They care. My Ford dealer and their mechanics.... Ehhh...

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
To add to that, how is it different from when its been off for an hour, or overnight?