First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
Interesting... I have leased my last 6 Ford's, that's 17 years I have been leasing...not because i can't afford to buy but because I enjoy having a new truck every 3 years that having zero cost in repairs beside oil change and tire rotations. So... your old F&I guy is wrong.
Whatever. Just thought I'd let you know what a guy who did the job for 30 years thought.
Sponsored

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Interesting... I have leased my last 6 Ford's, that's 17 years I have been leasing...not because i can't afford to buy but because I enjoy having a new truck every 3 years that having zero cost in repairs beside oil change and tire rotations. So... your old F&I guy is wrong.
You've also never NOT had a car payment in 17 years. Ill pay for 5yrs and have minimal maintenance for 5 years. You will almost never come out ahead leasing vs owning from a financial standpoint. Also, my insurance goes down every year as do my tags/license fees.

It's not that people can't afford to buy them, it's just that they choose to pay more to keep up with the Joneses and have newer vehicles all the time. To each their own as long as you realize the trade-offs you're making.

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick rant here. I am an Asst Parts Manager at a Ford Dealership in Ohio and have worked at a Ford dealership for over 28 years, after 5 consecutive 3-yr leases of F150's I decided to try to get away from the full size truck and go with a Ranger this time. So in Feb I ordered a 2021 Ranger Lariat with the Tremor package that is set to be built this week. Why am I not excited about this ? What guy wouldn't be excited about getting a new truck ? Well thanks to Fo Mo Co and their lack of rebates and incentives for new leases, I am going to be facing a New Ranger that sticker for sticker is $10,000 less than my 2018 F150 was and I am going to be paying more a month for this lease. WTF ? I do understand that it probably isn't just Ford, but even with employee pricing I'm getting the shaft here. I have been a very loyal FORD guy since forever, but this might make me stray away. UGH !!
Well the payments are due to inflation. Anyone who hasn't already bought a house or car better start saving or plan on waiting a few years. Rates are going through the roof.

You could always buy through Granger and save some more.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
People that lease are paying for convenience. No repair costs, no new tires, always have roadside assistance...but you always have a payment. My daughter leased her last 6 cars or so. She just loves getting a new car all the time. She usually turned them early to get something else she wanted. She just bought a Benz. I was surprised she bought but said she likes it so much she plans to keep it a few years after it's paid off. We'll see

I didn't read the story but saw a link that GM was threatening to cut off dealerships that are adding crazy high mark up. I've been to the dealership recently for a CEL and didn't see any mark ups on the fords on the lot.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/gm-threatens-predatory-dealers-order-201700894.html

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick rant here. I am an Asst Parts Manager at a Ford Dealership in Ohio and have worked at a Ford dealership for over 28 years, after 5 consecutive 3-yr leases of F150's I decided to try to get away from the full size truck and go with a Ranger this time. So in Feb I ordered a 2021 Ranger Lariat with the Tremor package that is set to be built this week. Why am I not excited about this ? What guy wouldn't be excited about getting a new truck ? Well thanks to Fo Mo Co and their lack of rebates and incentives for new leases, I am going to be facing a New Ranger that sticker for sticker is $10,000 less than my 2018 F150 was and I am going to be paying more a month for this lease. WTF ? I do understand that it probably isn't just Ford, but even with employee pricing I'm getting the shaft here. I have been a very loyal FORD guy since forever, but this might make me stray away. UGH !!
You work at ford and didnt get employee pricing? Why is that?

I used xplan when i ordered 19 ranger and 22 F150. Your plan is better than that.

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
People that lease are paying for convenience. No repair costs, no new tires, always have roadside assistance...but you always have a payment. My daughter leased her last 6 cars or so. She just loves getting a new car all the time. She usually turned them early to get something else she wanted. She just bought a Benz. I was surprised she bought but said she likes it so much she plans to keep it a few years after it's paid off. We'll see

I didn't read the story but saw a link that GM was threatening to cut off dealerships that are adding crazy high mark up. I've been to the dealership recently for a CEL and didn't see any mark ups on the fords on the lot.

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/gm-threatens-predatory-dealers-order-201700894.html
There can be insane lease deals to be had too.

Check out lease hacker.

I once leased a CPO Mini for one single payment of $1200.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Why didn't a Ford employee just purchase on Z-plan?

The irony in this thread is rich.

"I've been renting cars for 17 years. But NOW I think I'm getting ripped off." :LOL:

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Well I see this is an old thread. I'm responding to the original mid 2021 post. My response is still applicable today.

$10,000 less than my 2018 F150
Honestly, that seems about right. Not sure what inspired you to post really. Without significant rebates Rangers aren't cheap and never have been.

Even back in 2019 when I bought mine, a couple of my buds said "why would I get Ranger when I can get an F150 for only a little bit more?" People don't buy Rangers because they want a cheap truck. They buy them because it's just the right size truck for them. Mid size trucks are a size choice not a budget choice.

What's different today is all the "market adjustment" going on. My dealership doesn't even have a Ranger to sell, the lot is utterly barren except for a bunch of Escapes and few of the things that look like mini Escapes that I forget what they are called.

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Very, VERY hard to sympathize or have empathy here. Especially when I have seen Mavs plus $6k, $13k and even $20k as market adjustments. MAVERICKS. You know. Those trucks that were priced by Corporate to get that small truck market back. Which the dealers then screwed all to hell for their personal greed, all because the prospective customer cancelled their order when it was the regular pricing. Personally. I would love to see dealers be eliminated, and their car lots turned into massive repair maintenance facilities. With all orders done online.

Really. Justify a Maverick XL selling for $35k by San Bernardino Ford dealer. Come on.
The Mav XLT I ordered but didn't buy, got the Ranger 6 months before it finally showed up, is going for 40k. Still sitting on the lot for a month now looking all sad at me when I drive by in the Ranger.
Sponsored