RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind that the top speed you can set trail control is around 20-25 (maybe 30?) mph...
Trail control is .5-10MPH in half MPH increments in low range and 1-20MPH in 1 MPH increments in high range. So, yes, it wouldn't be for anything above 20MPH.
Sponsored

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I've always used 4lo to descend steep gravel roads without braking on other vehicles.

Was doing the tourist thing years ago and drove to the summit of Mauna Kea to the observatories in a rented Wrangler. Rental car companies REALLY don't like it when people drive up there, and they try to prohibit you from doing so. I got the Jeep to specifically go places the rental car companies prohibited (I also forded a creek in Waipio Valley). The gravel was well maintained, but being a legit 14'er, the descent was looooooong. People have burned up their brakes on that descent and tumbled off the mountainside.

I had a little bit of off-roading experience so I knew to put the Jeep in 4lo. At that point, I just coasted and only needed to use the brakes when the people ahead of me were being idiots. There was a string of brake lights ahead of me from those ppl, so I kept my distance where I could. Simple 4lo made that descent stupid easy.

With what off-roading I've done, I've never really felt the need for computer-controlled traction programs, so that aspect of the FX4 held no value to me. Other aspects of it did have a bit of value to me, but I ended up with a regular 4x4 because I got the better deal on that truck. I'm not disappointed in that decision at all. I have the e-locker, too, which is more than I ever had on other 4x4 vehicles that I drove or have owned.

If I end up needing the extra capability for heavier off-roading, those things are definitely upgradeable from what I have.

It honestly sounds to me like the regular 4x4 would be plenty sufficient for the things you need it to do. Would still be a lot more capable than the Ridgeline.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
agreed, I'd tend to prefer 4lo rather than trail control to control speed on a downgrade--that's a big difference between the ridgeline and just about any of the other midsize trucks with 4wd (no dedicated low range transfer case)

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Seems you have gotten great info here about towing and 4wd. All I can add is about the ride compared to the RL. I did test drive both before getting my 2019 Lariat 4x4.
The best I can tell you is after 20 mins in my Ranger the wife wanted me to take her 2017 Camry and she drive the Ranger. Within a hour she was searching for her own. Within a week the Camry was gone and she was in a new Escape. It fit her needs better.
We considered the RL, preferred the Ranger...hands down.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've used Trail Control a few times and it works as it should but like others have said just use 4l. We were just off roading last week and one area where I used it was going over a large rock that dropped you into a gulch,IIRC it was a 24% grade that had several other rocky areas beyond it. It was nice to set it a 4 mph and let the truck take over and see how well it actually works. Now it could've been done easily in 4h/4l but why not use it if you have it. Kind of like a tailgate damper if you have it you use it and love it if not you're a wimp. :p

OP
OP

PoppaT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Seems you have gotten great info here about towing and 4wd. All I can add is about the ride compared to the RL. I did test drive both before getting my 2019 Lariat 4x4.
The best I can tell you is after 20 mins in my Ranger the wife wanted me to take her 2017 Camry and she drive the Ranger. Within a hour she was searching for her own. Within a week the Camry was gone and she was in a new Escape. It fit her needs better.
We considered the RL, preferred the Ranger...hands down.
Good luck and enjoy the hunt!
Question. Did you go with base Lariat or add the FX4 package? Thanks

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Executive Pastor
i went with the Lariat with the 500A package, does not have the FX4 package. I didn’t really want 4WD but it is hard to find a truck without it in South Alabama, so I got 4WD.

OP
OP

PoppaT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
i went with the Lariat with the 500A package, does not have the FX4 package. I didn’t really want 4WD but it is hard to find a truck without it in South Alabama, so I got 4WD.
Thanks

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Executive Pastor
Always glad to help. I will caution you, hanging out here will make you spend some money...?
There are great ideas, really good advice and some good looking trucks on here. Have fun and enjoy the ride.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
The Hill Descent Control is fantastic. I pull a trailer through Adirondack mountains, and the truck knew there is a trailer hooked, so it automatically took care of braking when I am going down the hill. Engine brake comes on automatically. It acts differently when the trailer is hooked or not. I appreciate the features it comes with that are designed in mind of the truck with trailer. It also asked me how long my trailer is and I can set up three different trailers settings, and how long they are so, they will consider the trailer as part of a blind spot so I can move the lane if there is enough space on the next lane for my truck with trailer. As for the mpg, it is excellent when it is not hooked to the trailer. That is a significant reason I purchased this truck—the best MPG in the midsize truck class. However, the riding is not as smooth as Ridgeline. Every truck has its plus/minus. I purchased this truck for trailer traveling purposes, so it fits well.
SaberCamping.jpeg

OP
OP

PoppaT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
The Hill Descent Control is fantastic. I pull a trailer through Adirondack mountains, and the truck knew there is a trailer hooked, so it automatically took care of braking when I am going down the hill. Engine brake comes on automatically. It acts differently when the trailer is hooked or not. I appreciate the features it comes with that are designed in mind of the truck with trailer. It also asked me how long my trailer is and I can set up three different trailers settings, and how long they are so, they will consider the trailer as part of a blind spot so I can move the lane if there is enough space on the next lane for my truck with trailer. As for the mpg, it is excellent when it is not hooked to the trailer. That is a significant reason I purchased this truck—the best MPG in the midsize truck class. However, the riding is not as smooth as Ridgeline. Every truck has its plus/minus. I purchased this truck for trailer traveling purposes, so it fits well.
SaberCamping.jpeg
Thank you for the detailed feedback.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I'd encourage you to see if you can find a dealer who will let you take an extended test drive over an entire weekend, so you can get the truck out on some dirt and see if it does what you need. Good luck!
Agree with that 100%. My long time dealer let me have a Ranger for a full day to evaluate how well it towed our boat. Because of that I was 100% confident in its towing ability when I placed the order for our 2020 Ranger.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I purchased a new Honda Ridgeline in July of 2006. It was an RTL with Navi. I kept that truck—if you can call it that—until November of 2017. All told, I put ≈77,000 miles on the vehicle. In all of that time, it had three recalls (airbags, heater motor shield, fuel leak issue). All were fixed under warranty.

Other than nominal maintenance, tires, and oil changes, all it needed was front brakes. When I traded it, it needed a new set of tires (5 years old, not wear), brakes all around, and an almost 90,000 mile fluid change, etc. It was a good vehicle, and one I do not regret buying.

But, the question you ask is a bit controversial, as the Honda Ridgeline is a boulevarder, not a true truck. Yes, you can haul a few hundred pounds in the bed, seat four adults comfortable, and five in a pinch. Oh, and it can tow a small load too. But, it is NOT a work truck, although some folks use them for that.

Switching to the Ranger... Depending on the model vs. model, it can be more universal, than even the F-150. It certainly can get into narrower parking places! Dead stock, it can keep up with most medium-segment pickups, and will even blow off the doors of the rest of the pack. Add about $2,000 worth of goodies, and you can blow the doors off most large pickups as well.

Comfort wise, it is a truck, not a boulevarder. As such, it does ride like a truck, and perhaps a bit bouncy. But the sensation soon passes, and you get used to the firmness. Fact is, it will corner much better than most owners will ever push their's. One has to be careful not to slide it into a pivot point, but out in the open, it is very difficult to turtle.

Looking back on my purchases... The original plan was to keep the Ridgeline until the new Rangers arrived. However, some personal health issues concerting my wife resulted in buying her a new vehicle (2018 Honda Fit). The first vehicle she looked at was a Honda Civic EX-T with all of the goodies. At her suggestion, I bought the Civic. I did add a Race Chip it, and added a few other goodies (exhaust, cool air intake), but it had other issues particularly with my aging process (I'm 8-0). In short, I needed something a bit easier to get into.

As I said, the plan was... So I bought the Ranger XLT Crewcab, in 2WD. I am not sorry. Especially after adding a few goodies, which I have explained in the "tuner" forum. As I write this, I have a bit more than 1,300 miles on the odometer. I'm used to the ride, and have learned to enjoy it. It "IS" easier to get in and out of, to be sure! It has (now) enough power that is will come very close to blowing away a Honda Civic, Type R, in the 60 MPH dash (less than a car length)! The transmission shifts are firm, positive, and quick as a wink! But, if you drive it responsibly (read that as like an old made school teacher), they're smoother than stock!

By the way, I'm averaging ≈18+ mpg in town (3.5 mpg better than the Ridgeline ever did!). On the highway, in the short trips I have taken, nearly 25 mpg, which is close to the EPA rating.

So the bottom line is, what exactly are you looking for?

OP
OP

PoppaT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I purchased a new Honda Ridgeline in July of 2006. It was an RTL with Navi. I kept that truck—if you can call it that—until November of 2017. All told, I put ≈77,000 miles on the vehicle. In all of that time, it had three recalls (airbags, heater motor shield, fuel leak issue). All were fixed under warranty.

Other than nominal maintenance, tires, and oil changes, all it needed was front brakes. When I traded it, it needed a new set of tires (5 years old, not wear), brakes all around, and an almost 90,000 mile fluid change, etc. It was a good vehicle, and one I do not regret buying.

But, the question you ask is a bit controversial, as the Honda Ridgeline is a boulevarder, not a true truck. Yes, you can haul a few hundred pounds in the bed, seat four adults comfortable, and five in a pinch. Oh, and it can tow a small load too. But, it is NOT a work truck, although some folks use them for that.

Switching to the Ranger... Depending on the model vs. model, it can be more universal, than even the F-150. It certainly can get into narrower parking places! Dead stock, it can keep up with most medium-segment pickups, and will even blow off the doors of the rest of the pack. Add about $2,000 worth of goodies, and you can blow the doors off most large pickups as well.

Comfort wise, it is a truck, not a boulevarder. As such, it does ride like a truck, and perhaps a bit bouncy. But the sensation soon passes, and you get used to the firmness. Fact is, it will corner much better than most owners will ever push their's. One has to be careful not to slide it into a pivot point, but out in the open, it is very difficult to turtle.

Looking back on my purchases... The original plan was to keep the Ridgeline until the new Rangers arrived. However, some personal health issues concerting my wife resulted in buying her a new vehicle (2018 Honda Fit). The first vehicle she looked at was a Honda Civic EX-T with all of the goodies. At her suggestion, I bought the Civic. I did add a Race Chip it, and added a few other goodies (exhaust, cool air intake), but it had other issues particularly with my aging process (I'm 8-0). In short, I needed something a bit easier to get into.

As I said, the plan was... So I bought the Ranger XLT Crewcab, in 2WD. I am not sorry. Especially after adding a few goodies, which I have explained in the "tuner" forum. As I write this, I have a bit more than 1,300 miles on the odometer. I'm used to the ride, and have learned to enjoy it. It "IS" easier to get in and out of, to be sure! It has (now) enough power that is will come very close to blowing away a Honda Civic, Type R, in the 60 MPH dash (less than a car length)! The transmission shifts are firm, positive, and quick as a wink! But, if you drive it responsibly (read that as like an old made school teacher), they're smoother than stock!

By the way, I'm averaging ≈18+ mpg in town (3.5 mpg better than the Ridgeline ever did!). On the highway, in the short trips I have taken, nearly 25 mpg, which is close to the EPA rating.

So the bottom line is, what exactly are you looking for?
Excellent perspective. I am only 6-0. But if I am able to get to 8-0 I hope to be drag racing Civics in my truck like you! I guess I am searching for the perfect beast. Love the road manners of my RL. But want something more truck like for towing and off road. Hoping that there will be not too big a gap I. Road manners that I can love the Ranger as well and that would be my perfect solution. Thanks

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I hope I can contribute. I have a 4x2 Lariat. When I was truck shopping I read all the reviews, test drove and it came down to the Chevy Colorado, Honda AWD Ridgeline and Ranger. Toyota and Nissan did not make the final cut.

I was coming out of a sedan but needed some towing capacity- and I keep my vehicles for a decade on average.

I really liked the Honda - the build quality seemed good, the handling was really satisfying and I could work with the low towing ability. Some of the details engineered in were really cool.

I had to get a vehicle my wife was willing to drive.

It was nearly the Honda.

But the interior did not work for her (in spite that she had just bought a new HR-V and loves it) - maybe it was the cludgy captain's chair arms, the odd center console layout... believe it or not, it was the parking brake placement. She bitched about it throughout the test drives. Only the Ford and Nissan have the center brake handle, and I've never owned a Nissan - only worked on them and am not fond. Odd it came to that, and while I nitpicked about the ride and sound of the doors slamming I can work with those factors. She actually likes the comfort up front a great deal and only complains about the trucklike highway bobble.

The stock Ford audio system is better than the Honda - and the materials in the cabin are every bit as nice as the Honda (in the Lariat). I don't know how relevant all this is to the OP, but clearly the 4WD Ford can be optioned extensively.

I've been working to 'refine' the Ford - although getting more performance has been the fun focus, handling and ride is on my list. Eibachs all around, maybe stiffer sway bar bushings and more street/highway tires are on the list, and I expect to be thousands cheaper than an equivalent Honda.
Sponsored