First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
I hope I can contribute. I have a 4x2 Lariat. When I was truck shopping I read all the reviews, test drove and it came down to the Chevy Colorado, Honda AWD Ridgeline and Ranger. Toyota and Nissan did not make the final cut.

I was coming out of a sedan but needed some towing capacity- and I keep my vehicles for a decade on average.

I really liked the Honda - the build quality seemed good, the handling was really satisfying and I could work with the low towing ability. Some of the details engineered in were really cool.

I had to get a vehicle my wife was willing to drive.

It was nearly the Honda.

But the interior did not work for her (in spite that she had just bought a new HR-V and loves it) - maybe it was the cludgy captain's chair arms, the odd center console layout... believe it or not, it was the parking brake placement. She bitched about it throughout the test drives. Only the Ford and Nissan have the center brake handle, and I've never owned a Nissan - only worked on them and am not fond. Odd it came to that, and while I nitpicked about the ride and sound of the doors slamming I can work with those factors. She actually likes the comfort up front a great deal and only complains about the trucklike highway bobble.

The stock Ford audio system is better than the Honda - and the materials in the cabin are every bit as nice as the Honda (in the Lariat). I don't know how relevant all this is to the OP, but clearly the 4WD Ford can be optioned extensively.

I've been working to 'refine' the Ford - although getting more performance has been the fun focus, handling and ride is on my list. Eibachs all around, maybe stiffer sway bar bushings and more street/highway tires are on the list, and I expect to be thousands cheaper than an equivalent Honda.
Thanks for the great feedback.
Sponsored

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Ok group. Don't pile on me too much. Former Taco owner that moved to Ridgeline 4 years ago. Yes. I know it is not a real truck. But it has met all my needs until now. Looking seriously at 2020 Ranger Lariat with FX4 package. Reason for switch. For 6 months of year I travel daily down 3/4 mile gravel camp road. About 500-700 feet of elevation. With no hill descent on RL I have to ride brakes whole way. Also tow 19 foot Four Winns approx 4-6 times per year. About 4-4.5k that I can definitely feel behind me while towing with RL (no issues fortunately I. 4 years but need new underwear each year,) So Seeking real world feedback on Ranger and FX4 package. 1. Will my life be better with new Hill Descent Control.How good is it ? 2. Will I see significant difference in ride quality overall with Ranger vs my RL...good or bad? 3. Any other thoughts about making the switch?
Thanks for any and all help.
I think the stock FX4 shocks are garbage. It makes the truck "wallow" from side to side on uneven bumpy dirt roads and makes it feel very narrow, would be my best explanation. It seems most prevalent on the FX4 and not as bad the other trims. From what I have read on here and other places, a good set of aftermarket shocks fixes this. Eibach and Bilstien both have offerings, for about $450 if you DIY. I have yet to replace mine, am waiting on time to do a tire upgrade. It's not a "deal breaker", but I would imagine you'll notice it very much so coming from a smooth riding SUV based Ridgeline. I use the trail control and hill decent often when I'm at camp/hunting. They are both great features, but I think trail control kinda makes hill decent obsolete. Just set it and forget it.

Last edited:

egilbe

First Name
Earl
Threads
Reaction score
Somewhere between ME and AZ, depends on the season
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat with BAP, Tow and FX4
Occupation
Semi-retired, lazy bum/tramp, formerly Sys admin in a toxic work environment
I think the stock FX4 shocks are garbage. It makes the truck "wallow" from side to side on uneven bumpy dirt roads and makes it feel very narrow, would be my best explanation. It seems most prevalent on the FX4 and not as bad the other trims. From what I have read on here and other places, a good set of aftermarket shocks fixes this. Eibach and Bilstien both have offerings, for about $450 if you DIY. I have yet to replace mine, am waiting on time to do a tire upgrade. It's not a "deal breaker", but I would imagine you'll notice it very much so coming from a smooth riding SUV based Ridgeline. I use the trail control and hill decent often when I'm at camp/hunting. They are both great features.
That Ridgeline will never go on trails I take my Ranger, so maybe they won't notice at all?

Bready702

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
I am a former Ridgeline owner same year as your RL I loved it. A friend ran it into a ditch so I bought a Honda Pilot. I love Honda's I also have a Honda Crosstour. But the price of the current RL combined with the lack of tow capacity and off road capability. I just couldn't see spending that much on a mid sized truck without being able to tow a mid sized trailer. I absolutely love my Lariat and I think you will to. Just my humble opinion from a former RL owner, current Ranger driver.:)

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
That Ridgeline will never go on trails I take my Ranger, so maybe they won't notice at all?
I will never go on trails ever! Just that it is the best midsize truck for my travel trailer traveling. Ridgeline will not do the job for any long traveling with a trailer. Ford Ranger, also, has the best MPG for any midsize truck (except diesel Colorado) and best bang per dollar.

OP
OP

PoppaT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I am a former Ridgeline owner same year as your RL I loved it. A friend ran it into a ditch so I bought a Honda Pilot. I love Honda's I also have a Honda Crosstour. But the price of the current RL combined with the lack of tow capacity and off road capability. I just couldn't see spending that much on a mid sized truck without being able to tow a mid sized trailer. I absolutely love my Lariat and I think you will to. Just my humble opinion from a former RL owner, current Ranger driver.:)
Very helpful. Can't wait to get in one for test drive. Did you go for FX4 package? How would you compare ride quality to RL? Been reading lot of comments and review about soft and even motion inducing ride quality on uneven paved road and highway? Thanks for any insight.

Bready702

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Very helpful. Can't wait to get in one for test drive. Did you go for FX4 package? How would you compare ride quality to RL? Been reading lot of comments and review about soft and even motion inducing ride quality on uneven paved road and highway? Thanks for any insight.
It's been a while since I drove the RL but I still have my pilot. RL ride quality will be smoother it took me a week to get used to the rangers bouncy suspension. I'm going to be honest and say I didn't like the "Ranger bounce" the first week of driving. Then I took it camping off road 4x4 and fell in love :inlove:
Its also more fun just driving around town, fast and responsive. I got the Lariat 4x4 but not the fx4 I just upgraded to fox shocks front and back a few days ago. Even with the upgrades I'm still well under what a comparable RL would have costed. The truck feels at home on the dirt and in off road trails even with the stock shocks. The downside of the Ranger compared to the RL is storage. Honda did a great job finding space in the cab and I used to love the storage under the truck bed. Hope this helps out a little bit good luck with your purchase.

OP
OP

PoppaT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It's been a while since I drove the RL but I still have my pilot. RL ride quality will be smoother it took me a week to get used to the rangers bouncy suspension. I'm going to be honest and say I didn't like the "Ranger bounce" the first week of driving. Then I took it camping off road 4x4 and fell in love :inlove:
Its also more fun just driving around town, fast and responsive. I got the Lariat 4x4 but not the fx4 I just upgraded to fox shocks front and back a few days ago. Even with the upgrades I'm still well under what a comparable RL would have costed. The truck feels at home on the dirt and in off road trails even with the stock shocks. The downside of the Ranger compared to the RL is storage. Honda did a great job finding space in the cab and I used to love the storage under the truck bed. Hope this helps out a little bit good luck with your purchase.
Helps a ton. Thank you very much.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Yeah, Honda does a nice job with organization. My previous vehicle was a 2007 Honda Fit and a big part of why I bought it was its interior configurability.

The Ranger isn't bad, but the storage bins under the back seat could be better.

Still, the more I thought about it, the more I disliked the "trunk" in the bed of the Ridgeline.

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2018 Mustang GT
Occupation
Retired
As a new forum member I have already learned a lot about the Ranger. I haul farm tractors a lot, often interstate. For this purpose over the last several years I have used an F150(5.0), Nissan Frontier, Explorer XLT (3.5 NA), and a 2017 Explorer Sport. The sport had a lot of miles towing with the 3.5 turbo and there was nothing like it for power. You could spin the awd tires if you tried accleerating quickly with a larger trailer!

Then My son bought a 2019 Ranger XLT 4x4. I borrowed it and drove it 5 hours and I was hooked! Ride over a long time usually bothers my siatica nerve. Great seats!

So a couple of weeks ago I bought a loaded (501a) lariat. FX4. The ride was as good as my son's XLT standard 4x4. So, now I have the towing capacity (much better than my Explorer and your RL), Excellent ride, 25.8 MPG on my last 5 hour trip (without trailer), great looks (black), etc.

I am super impressed with this thing. Love it!

Last edited:
OP
OP

PoppaT

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
As a new forum member I have already learned a lot about the Ranger. I haul farm tractors a lot, often interstate. For this purpose over the last several years I have used an F150(5.0), Nissan Frontier, Explorer XLT (3.5 NA), and a 2017 Explorer Sport. The sport had a lot of miles towing with the 3.5 turbo and there was nothing like it for power. You could spin the awd tires if you tried accleerating quickly with a larger trailer!

Then My son bought a 2018 Ranger XLT 4x4. I borrowed it and drove it 5 hours and I was hooked! Ride over a long time usually bothers my siatica nerve. Great seats!

So a couple of weeks ago I bought a loaded (501a) lariat. FX4. The ride was as good as my son's XLT standard 4x4. So, now I have the towing capacity (much better than my Explorer and your RL), Excellent ride, 25.8 MPG on my last 5 hour trip (without trailer), great looks (black), etc.

I am super impressed with this thing. Love it!
Very helpful feedback for me. Thanks

stursmad

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I strongly considered buying a Ridgeline rather than a Ranger. I actually think the Ridgeline may be a better vehicle, depending on what you want in a vehicle. However, I think the Ranger is a better value/bargain, in that you get more for your money. I also think the Ranger is a much nicer looking truck, in that it actually looks like a truck. I'm very pleased with my 2019 Ranger(crewcab XLT 4WD), and have no regrets going with the Ranger.

thewhiteranger

First Name
andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger fx2 and a 2019 Subaru Outback
Occupation
medical
Ok group. Don't pile on me too much. Former Taco owner that moved to Ridgeline 4 years ago. Yes. I know it is not a real truck. But it has met all my needs until now. Looking seriously at 2020 Ranger Lariat with FX4 package. Reason for switch. For 6 months of year I travel daily down 3/4 mile gravel camp road. About 500-700 feet of elevation. With no hill descent on RL I have to ride brakes whole way. Also tow 19 foot Four Winns approx 4-6 times per year. About 4-4.5k that I can definitely feel behind me while towing with RL (no issues fortunately I. 4 years but need new underwear each year,) So Seeking real world feedback on Ranger and FX4 package. 1. Will my life be better with new Hill Descent Control.How good is it ? 2. Will I see significant difference in ride quality overall with Ranger vs my RL...good or bad? 3. Any other thoughts about making the switch?
Thanks for any and all help.
RL gets great reviews everywhere and if it just didn't look like it does....... Anyway, drive a lot of them and see what you think -- no pile on it all depends on what suits your needs and budget at the time you buy it. I went from f150 4x4 to an outback and now to the ranger 2wd FX2 all met my needs at the time I bought them. I love the ranger so far it feels like a keeper, Im looking for a trailer right now to camp on weekends and the Ranger is surprisingly powerful for a 4cyl. good luck and have fun shopping! oh and you can get rid of the engine start stop very easily (the number one thing I hate about my ranger --- fixed it!!!!)
Sponsored