RetraxOne XR Tonneau Cover

JDub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2013 FJ Cruiser Trail Team
Vehicle Showcase
I installed mine this week. The part of the Retrax clamp that is closest to the edge of the truck bed is far too short to maintain a solid grip. As you tighten, the back jaw will eventually slip off. Even with the 1/8” shim they provide and clamping down the track from above/ below with other clamps @BHunted mentions to push the track further down ... I ended up using a makeshift shim that was the same thickness but but longer/wider and it allowed the clamp to get a solid purchase. I reported to Retrax that they need to redesign the clamp or allow for a different configuration to resolve this.
Sponsored

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I installed mine this week. The part of the Retrax clamp that is closest to the edge of the truck bed is far too short to maintain a solid grip. As you tighten, the back jaw will eventually slip off. Even with the 1/8” shim they provide and clamping down the track from above/ below with other clamps @BHunted mentions to push the track further down ... I ended up using a makeshift shim that was the same thickness but but longer/wider and it allowed the clamp to get a solid purchase. I reported to Retrax that they need to redesign the clamp or allow for a different configuration to resolve this.
The nylon shims sit under the clamp between the metal bed rail flange and plastic bed rail cap. This helps prevent the nylon spacing/adjustment screws from deforming the bedrail edge and plastic cap.

Did you adjust the clamp jaws upwards so they tuck up tight under the bed rail ? IIRC I adjusted mine up 3 notches for a firm fit.

Image 1662.png

Last edited:

Rene Michaels

First Name
René
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew 4X2 5' Box Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
All I can say is the Retrax PRO XR is an investment. This is one area I did not want to compromise as I wanted to secure the bed. These are old pics now, but you can check out slides 17-21 here:
https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/showcase/texas-ranger.279/#lg=1&slide=17

I can't report any problems with it after a year of use, other than to say the scratch resistance is not quite as good as one might think. I did have a few minor scratches develop on mine after loads of car washes, but probably nothing a good polish won't get out.

JDub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2013 FJ Cruiser Trail Team
Vehicle Showcase
The nylon shims sit under the clamp between the metal bed rail flange and plastic bed rail cap. This helps prevent the nylon spacing/adjustment screws from deforming the bedrail edge and plastic cap.

Did you adjust the clamp jaws upwards so they tuck up tight under the bed rail ? IIRC I adjusted mine up 3 notches for a firm fit.

Image 1662.png
Right. I never got the top jaw to take, even after adjusting. I went ahead and said to hell with it and removed the adjustable top jaw so that my makeshift shim would work... but you’ve got me thinking I need to take another look. ?

ProtonDecay

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
+1 on adjusting the clamp jaw to sit higher. All of mine fell off after an aggressive bumpy ride. They are staying on now after moving them up (+3, maybe as much as they would move).

Just be careful to not overtighten the clamps when you put them back - this will pull the rails away from the rollers which may cause impingement, and may prevent the lock pin from slotting correctly when closing the latch.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Right. I never got the top jaw to take, even after adjusting. I went ahead and said to hell with it and removed the adjustable top jaw so that my makeshift shim would work... but you’ve got me thinking I need to take another look. ?
Here's what mine look like after adjusting the jaw . . .

Image 1779.png

Image 1780.png

Image 1781.png

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
I can't report any problems with it after a year of use, other than to say the scratch resistance is not quite as good as one might think. I did have a few minor scratches develop on mine after loads of car washes, but probably nothing a good polish won't get out.
Wanted to add that we are also experiencing the incredibly thin surface coating that is used on this cover. We have to take great care not to scratch it, even while washing and i'm using a lubricant based wash and soft microfiber mitt. Just look at this surface wrong, or slide even a cardboard box along it and you'll have marks/scratches in it.

That's our only complaint on it.

BTW: You won't be able to polish out the surface scratches. I've been looking at a few different coating options but will likely just rattle can it with an engine paint at some point in a few years.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone using the Retrax or Embark cover WITH the Yakima tonneau kit? If so, do you have issues with the bolts pulling up the T rails and deforming them? I've read reviews of this, and the possibility that Yakima has a redesign in the works.

I have the Embark version of this cover on order, and plan to use a Yakima rack with my RTT. However, I want to be able to remove the rack for ~1/2 the year. I don't want T rail damage showing when the rack is not on the truck. If damage is likely, I'll wait for a possible redesign from Yakima, or look at other options (maybe cancel the Embark order). Thanks.

EDIT: Yakima rep confirms the redesign has been complete for the Tonneau kit, but it won't be available for >= 90 days.

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Anyone using the Retrax or Embark cover WITH the Yakima tonneau kit? If so, do you have issues with the bolts pulling up the T rails and deforming them? I've read reviews of this, and the possibility that Yakima has a redesign in the works.

I have the Embark version of this cover on order, and plan to use a Yakima rack with my RTT. However, I want to be able to remove the rack for ~1/2 the year. I don't want T rail damage showing when the rack is not on the truck. If damage is likely, I'll wait for a possible redesign from Yakima, or look at other options (maybe cancel the Embark order). Thanks.

EDIT: Yakima rep confirms the redesign has been complete for the Tonneau kit, but it won't be available for >= 90 days.
When you use the T Slot system it reduces the rolling and static weight. I think the Yakima is rated at 200lbs rolling. Where others that mount differently like the XTR 1 system is 350lbs and 1200lbs.
This should be considered if you are going off road. Some RTT can be as heavy as 200lbs.
Although The Yakima does have the convivence of coming off quickly.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
When you use the T Slot system it reduces the rolling and static weight. I think the Yakima is rated at 200lbs rolling. Where others that mount differently like the XTR 1 system is 350lbs and 1200lbs.
This should be considered if you are going off road. RTT are around 200lbs.
Although The Yakima does have the convivence of coming off quickly.
No issue for me. The weight is reduced from 500/300 lbs on/off road to 300/180 lbs on/off with the toneau kit. My RTT is 115 lbs so no worries for me off roading with it. When parked (inside the tent), the 300 lbs rating would be in effect, which is more than adaquate for a couple and dog (remember 1/2 the weight is on the ladder)

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Dont quote me on this but I think the pro is the only one compatible for a rack?? My choice if I go this route

20200203_182440.jpg
Both the One and the Pro XR are compatible with racks. The difference is the One uses a plastic for the cover and holds 250lbs directly on it, the Pro uses aluminum and holds 500lbs directly on it. Both versions support the same on the rails.
Sponsored