First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT SPORT
Occupation
Retired
What is a good tonneau cover in the $500 price range. Prefer roll up and water proof
Sponsored

Jbroke

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Sports
What is a good tonneau cover in the $500 price range. Prefer roll up and water proof
This is what I have, 0 issues besides installation is a little bit of a pain. But it’s 99.99% waterproof (with the exception of heavy rain mine slightly can leak in the front of the bed) but had it over a year now and it looks good as new.

Gator ETX Soft Tri-Fold Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | 59317 | Fits 2019 - 2021 Ford Ranger 5' 1" Bed (61") https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NDLVP8K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KAGFNC5H20TX17S7JXYP

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist

lex1125

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
nuthin'
I bought this:
Amazon.com: TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll Up Truck Bed Tonneau Cover | 231001 | Fits 2019 - 2021 Ford Ranger 5' 1" Bed (61") : Automotive
It sits on top the rails and I haven't seen water get in even after driving thru rain.
Easy install, and rolls up into around 5" leaving total bed access.
I was looking at this one and also the more expensive Truxedo Lifetime Warranty model for about $460 or so. What made you decide to get this one? Did you do the install yourself? and if so, was it difficult?

Thanks and good luck with the cover!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I bought the Truxedo Lo Pro, lifetime warranty. Amazon, $440.00 for 6 foot bed.
Install was easy...did it by myself. Top quality, perfect fit.
Thru several washings and some heavy rain it seems to be water tight.
Instructions a bit vague and extra brackets/parts included that you won't use.
A thick foam gasket is included for the bed top rail behind cab, and instructions show to use it, but it is not needed and the front rail of the tonneau cover will not seal right if the gasket is used. I left it off, and the front seal is water tight.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
I bought the Truxedo Lo Pro, lifetime warranty. Amazon, $440.00 for 6 foot bed.
Install was easy...did it by myself. Top quality, perfect fit.
Thru several washings and some heavy rain it seems to be water tight.
Instructions a bit vague and extra brackets/parts included that you won't use.
A thick foam gasket is included for the bed top rail behind cab, and instructions show to use it, but it is not needed and the front rail of the tonneau cover will not seal right if the gasket is used. I left it off, and the front seal is water tight.
i have this one too, and mine is NOT watertight. It’s water resistant, but not water proof. I’ve owned a number of roll up tonneaus over the years and have never had one that didn’t allow some water in at the corners.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
i have this one too, and mine is NOT watertight. It’s water resistant, but not water proof. I’ve owned a number of roll up tonneaus over the years and have never had one that didn’t allow some water in at the corners.
I'm sure there has been a dribble of water coming in, but I have a sprayed in liner, and the bed is kept mostly covered, so I haven't noticed/really looked for water. It's probably such a small amount that it is of no consequence to me.
I don't think any of the roll up type tonneau covers are going to be truly 100% water proof, but a good one will keep out most of it. I'd say the Truxedo keeps 98-99% of water out.

kipkohl

First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired FF/PM
I have the lo pro and it leaks like a sieve at the front corners. Grumpaw, can you post a photo of your installation. I'm wondering if that's my problem.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I have the lo pro and it leaks like a sieve at the front corners. Grumpaw, can you post a photo of your installation. I'm wondering if that's my problem.
I'll try to take/post some photo's, but...
If you look at the front bar of the tonneau there is a rubber flap/seal that is permenantly attached to the rail. Also Included with mine/yours ? was a hard foam seal, with one sticky side, about 1 1/4 inch x 1 inch that the instructions indicated should be placed on the top rail of the bed behind the cab.
I installed the seal but positively could not get the front tonneau rail to seal while following instructions to secure the front rail. That seal would not compress enough.
I took the seal off and the front tonneau rail snapped into place, and the rubber flap seal now just covers the top rail.
If you installed that thick foam gasket/seal then there is a gap between the tonneau rail and the bed edge and I believe thats your problem.
I think the cover may be designed with the application for other trucks/makes/models, and thats why extra parts/seals, ect, were included.
Pic's...
First on shows the rubber flap seal lying flush along the top rail. Second shows how my cover lies perfectly flush along the entire front area.

If you look at the instructions, it appears that they want you to place that foam gasket along the top of the rail, but if you carefully read the instructions, it indicates that the seal should be placed on the inside of the bulkhead just BELOW the top edge of the bulkhead. That is where I placed mine.
Instructions are a bit vague and confusing.
Only other suggestion I could make is to get into bed with the cover closed and have someone direct a flashlight at the front corners. If you see light, plug the area with some butyl tape. It's very sticky and can be balled up and used to plug any gaps. Waterproof and very long lasting.

IMG_20211016_102044522_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211016_102121116.jpg

Last edited:

kipkohl

First Name
Kip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired FF/PM
Interesting. The instructions that came with mine definitely state that the thick foam seal goes on top of the bulkhead rail. I've been in touch with Truxedo about the issue and they've been very responsive, but with no useful fix yet. Your installation looks like it works great...certainly much better than mine! On mine the fabric at the corners pulls up leaving a significant gap for water intrusion.

Drivers front with tensioners set to instruction's spec.
IMG_0584.jpg

I think I'll try without the foam seal, though I think it will become sacrificial at that point (it's really on there) and according to the website it is not available as a replacement item.

Really appreciate your input on this.

Thanks,
Kip

greypilgrim76

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Kia Soul +, 2011 Subaru Outback
Occupation
English Professor
I just put the Truxedo Deuce on my SCrew Ranger, and I like it a lot. Got it for about $500 on Amazon and I really like the ability to either roll it from the tailgate to the window or open the front half more like a hard cover from the window to the tailgate. I just checked in my bed this morning after some rain and found a few spots of water on my bedliner, but not enough to concern me. Overall, I'm a fan of this one so far.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I have the TruXedo Pro X15 Lo Pro and basically no water at all. The front is pretty well sealed and I like how much it goes over the bed edges on the side. I do need to use some tail gate seals which I have bought but not installed yet.

Truxedo Pro X15.jpg

Truxedo ProX15 II.jpg

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Kind of ironic...had to go out and it started to rain....the "buckets of rain" type stuff. Got home and checked the bed, and yes a few dribbles got past the seals and along the sides. No more than a few ounces and not enough to concern me.
Stuff I keep in the bed are either in a cargo box or the swing away box, and anything else that will go in the bed, like the tow equipment for the camper, hoses , ect, are not affected by moisture.
It is after all, a truck, and the tonneau will keep it 95% or more dry. When installed right they do a good job of keeping most of the wet stuff out, but when researching roll up covers, no manufacturer would state that their product was 100% waterproof.
They keep stuff out of sight, keep most of the rain/dust/dirt out, and look good. Bottom line...that's what counts. :like:

Kyp317

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
CAD Design/Automotive Prototyping
I have the TruXedo Lo Pro but it does let a little water in , at least in heavy rain or car washer not a lot but there is a little. Could be installation is off a bit but it’s so little I’m sure a little silicone here & there & I could stop it though lol.
Sponsored